CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any PCOS Curlies

+5
Kimmie0810
Lotusfairie
luvinlife225
Treece
Curly_Aquarius
9 posters

Go down

Any PCOS Curlies Empty Any PCOS Curlies

Post by Curly_Aquarius 15th April 2010, 5:18 pm

I was wondering is there any other curlies with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I deal with alot of thinning in the front from this and I am wondering what other PCOS curlies do to their hair in thr front to hide it. I usually pin the front or part towards the middle. Anyone else have any other ideas?
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Any PCOS Curlies Empty Re: Any PCOS Curlies

Post by Treece 30th April 2010, 3:15 pm

I'm sorry I can't help. Sad Gonna bump this up for you. Smile
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 30th April 2010, 4:37 pm

Treece wrote:I'm sorry I can't help. Sad Gonna bump this up for you. Smile
Thanks a billion girl! *hug* you done helped me by bumpin this thread Very Happy
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by luvinlife225 11th May 2010, 4:54 pm

I have PCOS too.

I had a bit of thinning in the front but I've reversed that with supplements. I take Inositol, Choline and Femaprin. They've worked wonders for my skin, weight, mood, ovulation and hair. www.soulcysters.net is an awesome place to go if you haven't been there yet. Feel free to ask me anything PCOS related.
luvinlife225
luvinlife225

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 16th May 2010, 3:22 am

Hi Luvinlife225! I been waiting on you! I was diagnosed at age 14 told I would never have children and other very harsh things. I have 3 children and I am dealing with my PCOS I just hate this thinning in front and excessive hair else where! I used to be on Soulcysters but I really cannot tell you why I stopped coming around I will try to reactivate my account. Where would I get the supplements from or is it something that has to be prescribed?
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by luvinlife225 16th May 2010, 9:03 am

LOL! I was wondering when you'd respond!

I don't have any kids yet (my husband doesn't want them yet) but I'm trying to get myself together now so it'll be easier when we start trying in about another year. So I've been taking supplements and focusing on weightloss. Weightloss is a monster with PCOS. I struggle everday! Anyhow, I buy my supplements from healthfood stores. They're generally pretty easy to find. I didn't go anywhre like GNC or Vitamin World for my supplements because they tend to sale tablets and I prefer capsules and their powdered form is soooo high. I've been able to slow down the excess hairgrowth but not eliminate it. I think that's something I'll just have to deal with and I'm okay with that. flower
luvinlife225
luvinlife225

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 17th May 2010, 1:06 am

Luvinlife225! Yeah I tend to take it one day at a time! it is good you are planning early about children rather then later. I got the Lapband system so I am pretty good with the weight loss. I thank God I decided top do the Lapband because some of the other symptoms I rarely see now. I currently pluck and Nair my excessive hair but I want to try Vanique and see how it plays out. Sorry it took so long to see your post I had kinda given up on it, Sad I know... But I'm sure glad you came Smile
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Lotusfairie 17th May 2010, 11:16 am

I have two very thin spots in the front of my hair. I am trying to not to put anything in my hair right now, like clips or headbands, hoping the spots will start to fill out. I've just been doing the bc pills prescribed by my doctor. I think the worst part of it all is the excessive hair on my face and the weight ups and down. I am thankfully on a down right now and am really trying not to gain it all back.

My partner here at work had Vanique for awhile through her dermatologist, will have to ask her how she liked it and if it worked for her.
Lotusfairie
Lotusfairie

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 17th May 2010, 12:41 pm

Lotusfairie,Hi and Welcome:) Please ask about her results with Vanique. I can deal with the spots sometimes, but it is the excessive facial hair that has me singing the blues...
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimmie0810 2nd June 2010, 9:19 pm

I just got your message about this question. My hair doesn't thin in the front; but I THINK it's thinning on top. The texture there is very different and just feels flat or lacking to me. People tell me it doesn't look thin, but I'm not so sure.

I"m still struggling with the PCOS. I get laser hair removal on my chin and neck b/c any other methods break my skin out & cause discoloration. I LOVE the laser! I'd sell my blood to pay for it if I had to lol. Best thing I ever did.

The weight loss issue was not as simple. I'm meeting w/a surgeon about Sleeve surgery in a couple of weeks. I thought about lapband but my endocrinologist told me that Sleeve would be a better option for me b/c I'm not that overweight (100lbs over as some insurances and doctors require) but being overweight and having diabetes qualifies me for it.

Have u talked with an endocrinologist about your PCOS symptoms? Mine has been invaluable in helping me with the symptoms.

I'm going to research the supplements mentioned too! Thanks for the info!
Kimmie0810
Kimmie0810

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 3rd June 2010, 1:33 am

Kimmie0810 wrote:I just got your message about this question. My hair doesn't thin in the front; but I THINK it's thinning on top. The texture there is very different and just feels flat or lacking to me. People tell me it doesn't look thin, but I'm not so sure.

I"m still struggling with the PCOS. I get laser hair removal on my chin and neck b/c any other methods break my skin out & cause discoloration. I LOVE the laser! I'd sell my blood to pay for it if I had to lol. Best thing I ever did.

The weight loss issue was not as simple. I'm meeting w/a surgeon about Sleeve surgery in a couple of weeks. I thought about lapband but my endocrinologist told me that Sleeve would be a better option for me b/c I'm not that overweight (100lbs over as some insurances and doctors require) but being overweight and having diabetes qualifies me for it.

Have u talked with an endocrinologist about your PCOS symptoms? Mine has been invaluable in helping me with the symptoms.

I'm going to research the supplements mentioned too! Thanks for the info!
I have not seen an endocrinologist yet, because I do not want to waste my time. It took my insurance 2 weeks to approve me for the Lapband and I love it, i am looking into laser for myself but still fearful about it, I will look into all of your suggestions thank you for responding Very Happy
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimmie0810 3rd June 2010, 6:38 pm

The laser isn't that painful. It feels like a rubber band snap or something. The skin where no active hairs are growing, wont hurt. The only parts that hurt for me are where the hair grows in clusters right on my chin bone. Then I can feel the zapping, but it lasts a portion of a section before she's on to the next zap.

Initially you'll probably do 6-8 treatments spaced every 6wks b/c the hair follicle has to be zapped when "active". Most people do one or 2 touch ups a year. I do a few treatments every few months b/c of the PCOS b/c it seems that the hair just keeps coming.

I hope my insurance approves my Sleeve surgery just as quickly. I don't want to spend all summer waiting for this. My b-day is in August and I'd like it done & be on somewhat solid food by then lol.
Kimmie0810
Kimmie0810

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 3rd June 2010, 10:50 pm

I did my lapband on my b-day it makes it so much more important to me. I will def check out laser and about the hair it do keep on coming I wonder why tho'? Good Luck Kimmie! Very Happy
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by curlyfro22 19th June 2010, 6:07 pm

i have pcos as well. i was dx in may of 2006. i havent really experienced alot of thining in my hair except in the crown which is why i had to cut it all off about 2 yrs ago. Im currently transitioning and so far its hasnt been thining out. maybe because i have kinky twists in? lol. good luck sweetie!
curlyfro22
curlyfro22

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 20th June 2010, 12:33 pm

sadia21 wrote:i have pcos as well. i was dx in may of 2006. i havent really experienced alot of thining in my hair except in the crown which is why i had to cut it all off about 2 yrs ago. Im currently transitioning and so far its hasnt been thining out. maybe because i have kinky twists in? lol. good luck sweetie!
Thanks for the input! Very Happy
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoaDreamee 24th June 2010, 5:18 pm

I....I'm so speechless!! I can't believe there is a PCOS section on here. I have PCOS...been dealing with the whole shabang for...years...I was officially diagnosed sooo late into it and I have finally been doing more research the past year or so. My biggest issue right now is my weight and the extra hair, not the curls on my head of course Smile Sooo nice to see I'm not alone
CocoaDreamee
CocoaDreamee

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoaDreamee 24th June 2010, 5:30 pm

Ok so I'm over my speechless time. So as far as PCOS symptoms, the worst two have definitely been the weight and depression. Depression is now under control. I gained 100 lbs super quick in my late teens, no one knew why...I just started getting horrible migraines everyday, my cycle slowed down and then stopped, I started getting depressed and then 100 lbs took over in a matter of months. I was an avid runner at the time and totally confused as to why I was gaining crazy weight. Anywho...I lost 70 of that 100...but dealt with a horrible cycle of depression that led to me gaining all of that back plus an extra 10! Isnt that a nice extra?! LOL (Pardon my sarcasm*wink*) So yeah I pluck and nair to keep the hair at bay. Recently found out I had 2 cysts on my ovaries. I manage my hypoglycemia with a natural powder called amborotose aka my life saver. I take wild yam and chaste tree,also known as vitex, to try and help my hormones regulate and chase all this extra testoterone away.
My BIGGEST thing right now is the weight. I LOVE to workout, but I get sooo discouraged when I eat super great and work out crazy hard and nothing happens. So I tend to slack off, yes I'm currently in slacking off cycle number.....oh who's counting...but next week I'm planning to go back to my beloved jogging, yep all this extra flab will be jiggling and wiggling down a side walk near you! LOL Wink
I could so use support in this area, or a miracle, ya know, whichever comes first. I am so starting to consider weight loss surgery. I mean, losing weight is like the golden ticket when battling PCOS.
But that's enough yammering from me! Thanks for reading Smile
CocoaDreamee
CocoaDreamee

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 25th June 2010, 11:52 am

CocoaDreamee wrote:I....I'm so speechless!! I can't believe there is a PCOS section on here. I have PCOS...been dealing with the whole shabang for...years...I was officially diagnosed sooo late into it and I have finally been doing more research the past year or so. My biggest issue right now is my weight and the extra hair, not the curls on my head of course Smile Sooo nice to see I'm not alone
I thought at first this thread was a bad idea but now I see it is not! I'm glad you found it! Very Happy
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 25th June 2010, 11:57 am

CocoaDreamee wrote:Ok so I'm over my speechless time. So as far as PCOS symptoms, the worst two have definitely been the weight and depression. Depression is now under control. I gained 100 lbs super quick in my late teens, no one knew why...I just started getting horrible migraines everyday, my cycle slowed down and then stopped, I started getting depressed and then 100 lbs took over in a matter of months. I was an avid runner at the time and totally confused as to why I was gaining crazy weight. Anywho...I lost 70 of that 100...but dealt with a horrible cycle of depression that led to me gaining all of that back plus an extra 10! Isnt that a nice extra?! LOL (Pardon my sarcasm*wink*) So yeah I pluck and nair to keep the hair at bay. Recently found out I had 2 cysts on my ovaries. I manage my hypoglycemia with a natural powder called amborotose aka my life saver. I take wild yam and chaste tree,also known as vitex, to try and help my hormones regulate and chase all this extra testoterone away.
My BIGGEST thing right now is the weight. I LOVE to workout, but I get sooo discouraged when I eat super great and work out crazy hard and nothing happens. So I tend to slack off, yes I'm currently in slacking off cycle number.....oh who's counting...but next week I'm planning to go back to my beloved jogging, yep all this extra flab will be jiggling and wiggling down a side walk near you! LOL Wink
I could so use support in this area, or a miracle, ya know, whichever comes first. I am so starting to consider weight loss surgery. I mean, losing weight is like the golden ticket when battling PCOS.
But that's enough yammering from me! Thanks for reading Smile
It is very frustrating when you are doing the right things and the weight is not coming off. If I had not have gotten the lapband surgery who knows where my weight would be most likely in the 500 range. Some one told me about Vanique as a way to get rid of the hair but I have yet to hear about her review. My second problem is the the thinning hair in the front of my head. the third is the acne. As far as depression I am a pretty upbeat person so I would know if I suffer from that instantly. Please continue to post so we can bounce ideas and experiences off of each other.
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Lotusfairie 28th June 2010, 11:08 am

I talked to my partner here at work, she never got to try the Vanique either Sad
Lotusfairie
Lotusfairie

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 28th June 2010, 2:49 pm

Lotusfairie wrote:I talked to my partner here at work, she never got to try the Vanique either Sad
awww mannnn! Sad
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by justicenga 9th July 2010, 11:55 pm

Hey ladies. I don't have PCOS but I do have hypothyroidism. They have some of the same symptoms. I just thought I'd share my experience with Vaniqa. It didn't work. I ended up getting laser removal. It was great. I need to go for a touch up. It's been few years since I initially had it but I was very pleased.
justicenga
justicenga

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiral Moon 17th July 2010, 4:48 pm

I have PCOS. Thanks Curly_Aquarius for starting this thread.

I've used Vaniqa. It slowed down the hair growth in my chin area. At the same time, I experienced hair growth in areas where I didn't have it before -under my chin and along my jawline. I started using Vaniqa in those areas and then a few new hairs started to develop on my neck. No Evil or Very Mad
I stopped using it.

Spiral Moon
Spiral Moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimmie0810 29th July 2010, 9:13 pm

Vaniqa is a long term thing. I tried it a few years ago but couldn't keep up with it. I was battling acne & didn't want to use so many things on my face. My laser technician suggested I go back on it to slow down growth in between laser treatments. I had laser almost 2 months ago & no hair growth. I'll probably need it again in a few months. Since I've had so many (I got 8 in a row) I just go for touch-ups now. Worth every damn penny!

For the acne, if u get laser, you'll notice that u won't have as many breakouts & marks left behind. That's b/c most of those jawline pimples are hair bumps. And hair removal methods tend to cause breakouts. My chin/neck areas were always broken out & covered in marks left by the bumps. Also, try http://www.joesoefskincare.com/. The sulphur soap is AWESOME! And it's not expensive or harsh. I just had the bar soap but I'm going to order the entire kit.

Another thing is the Clarisonic brush. This thing is EXPENSIVE & I waited years before buying it. I finally did flexpay on QVC & am SO glad I did! It really removes ALOT more dirty & buildup on the face & allows products to seep in. I've been using regular Oxy acne cleanser for a few weeks now & no pimples. No oil. This NEVER would have worked before. But I can feel the products seeping into my skin now instead of sitting on top. It is a worthwhile investment.

I don't know if Spironolactone worked for me but it works for alot of people. Should help with the acne, oil & hair growth. My last endocrinologist took me off of it. I'm not sure why. But I've found ways to combat those issues now.

I also just started using Tamanu oil on my face. So far, so good. It is keeping me oil & pimple free.
Kimmie0810
Kimmie0810

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down