CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vegan/Vegetarians

+12
Mzsweetsmile83
Hollis
DreamMerchant
cherece
CurlyMo
Treece
Free2Be
AfrikanLatina
BekkaPoo
ElleX
Karyn
MissFierce21
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Vegan/Vegetarians Empty Vegan/Vegetarians

Post by MissFierce21 12th April 2010, 6:44 pm

I've been on the journey to transitioning for a while, but I haven't been completely successful. I'm currently struggling with what to eat, where to find half of these things, and the cooking method. Yes, I have done tremendous research, including Youtube and Google, but I'm still full of questions.

I really want to go vegan, but I figure I should probably start off with vegetarian.

Please give me advice, tips, recipes, and anything else that would make this no longer a troublesome area for me.

Thanks so much.
MissFierce21
MissFierce21

Back to top Go down

Vegan/Vegetarians Empty Re: Vegan/Vegetarians

Post by Karyn 12th April 2010, 11:13 pm

Well, I've been a vegetarian for three years now and I'd definitely suggest you quit cold turkey (hahaha excuse my pun). I watched those crazy Peta videos (mind you, I've always hated animals) and cried my eyes out, two days later, I was eating veggie burgers and other things I had never eaten before Razz I don't take any extra supplements or vitamins right now, which wouldn't matter if I had a good diet, but I don't (yet). I'm unsuccessfully transitioning to vegan (I've given up ice cream AND milk, but cannot seem to give up cheese nor eggs yet), but I have to do a lot more research for it; my main concern regards pregnancy. Anyways, as far as meat imitation things to eat, I LOVE Quorn chicken nuggets, Boca/Morning Star Veggie Burgers, and Boca Chik'n patties (just finished eating one now). I also enjoy Morning Star Facon (as I call it) and their fake sausages. Yummy. Although I don't support them (even though they made me go veg), peta2.com has a lot of good (at least they sound good) recipes and lists of groceries that are vegan friendly. Vegweb.com also has a lot of good (again, at least they sound good) recipes. My advice to you is to be EXTREMELY careful on what you eat (this depends on what you're willing to eat though). Gelatin and other nasty animal by-products are found in many things that you wouldn't expect and I've had the pleasure of finding out the hard way [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I'm a really picky eater, so I can't really offer you any other advice on food/recipes. So yeah.

Good luck!

P.S. - Hollis is also a vegetarian and has given me some great advice. Hopefully she'll stop by this thread to help you out.
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleX 12th April 2010, 11:17 pm

Please be careful with the Boca burgers and other soy products. Too much is not good for you. I was eating way too much Boca burgers and soy products and messed up my hormones.

I stop back later and post some good blogs/websites for recipes.
ElleX
ElleX

Back to top Go down

Post by MissFierce21 12th April 2010, 11:33 pm

Thanks Karyn and ElleX. I have done tons of research and I am aware of all the bad things that are in these hidden foods, like marshmellows, white sugar, gelatin, etc.--YUCK. The funny thing is I visited both sites that you mentioned Karyn, and I was saddened also. You remind me of myself. I'm a picky eater also, and the great thing is I really never cared to eat meat, although I ate it as a child because I wasn't providing my own food.

Thanks again, and I'm really looking forward to your next post ElleX
MissFierce21
MissFierce21

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 13th April 2010, 2:55 am

ElleX wrote:Please be careful with the Boca burgers and other soy products. Too much is not good for you. I was eating way too much Boca burgers and soy products and messed up my hormones.

I stop back later and post some good blogs/websites for recipes.

Good point. I've heard that it can raise your estrogen levels really high and you can end up with breast cancer [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Also, I read on Wiki the other day that vegetarians/vegans (or just people that eat a lot of soy) are more likely to get pregnant with girls. Still dunno how I feel about that lol.

@MissFierce21: Tell me about it. A few months ago, my grandma was getting ready to make some Jiffy cornbread and I just happened to look at the ingredient list and LARD was in it. I almost threw up lol. I haven't had it since I read that. I was never a big meat eater either! I'm still not paying for my own food, but my mom's been cool about it. I don't get as much fresh, organic produce as I want though because it's SO expensive.
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by BekkaPoo 13th April 2010, 11:34 am

I'm not vegetarian but I like vegetarian recipes because they broaden my palate and are good for me. I eat vegetarian for 2 meals, and usually have meat for dinner.

This is my favorite raw foods site: http://www.choosingraw.com/

There's so much variety in vegetarian foods, that full-time meat eaters don't even know what they're missing. Oh well.. more for me. Smile
BekkaPoo
BekkaPoo

http://suprnatural.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 13th April 2010, 12:23 pm

I am also not vegetarian but only eat select meats (turkey & chicken) which I plan to cut out completely eventually. I also eat seafood (I love salmon) Smile Anyway, I've found that its extremely easy to take dishes that you love as a meat eater and turn them into vegetarian dishes. I'll be back later with a few of my favorites Smile
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by MissFierce21 13th April 2010, 1:35 pm

Thanks ladies for all of the support.
MissFierce21
MissFierce21

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 14th April 2010, 12:44 am

I've been vegetarian off and on all my life...I'm SDA and that's how it began. As an adult I can eat what I choose, but I don't really care for meat. About once a month I get a craving and one or two burgers from Krystal's will fill that craving or chicken nuggets from anywhere.

I don't use a lot of recipes from recipe sites because I've grown up eating this way and know what I like. But I will say to be cautious when using the Boca, Morningstar Farms, LaLoma/Loma Linda, Cedar Creek and other soy or meat substitutes because they tend to be a bit higher in sodium to make up for the low fat content and we know fat equals flavor, right?

What I try to do is make sure I get a balance of veggies and grains. I took a health class in college and there's primarily one thing I recalled about eating a strict vegetarian diet...something about losing amino acids if you don't eat certain items in combination. Like beans and rice together will give you a certain amino acid, but not one without the other or something like that.

I'm not a good poster child for vegetarianism because I don't have all the rules downpat, but clearly, the diet works for many, many people. But just like you have researched for info about your hair, you'll need to research about your diet as well. If you truly want to be vegan eventually, I would recommend a friend's site: Health Seminars Unlimited Paula is my health teacher from college and a personal friend. If I can get my hands on one of her books, I'll PM you and get it to you...or at least some of her recipes. I took one of her cooking classes with a former boyfriend. Some of the stuff was a little bland and other things were surprisingly tasty (like the lemon meringue pie made with Silken Tofu).

Don't let anyone make you think you have few options being vegetarian. Just like natural hair there are a million ways to spice up your menu...just be patient and educate yourself on the options out there. If you have any questions about a particular product, send me a PM. I am surrounded by health nuts in Huntsville and can certainly track down tons of first-hand reviews for you. LOL

Good luck! *Um, you will note that I am a big girl and that's on a mostly vegetarian diet, so you can overdo ANYTHING. I enjoy all of my veggies, usually slathered in butter and covered in cheese. Smile
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by MissFierce21 14th April 2010, 1:07 pm

Free2Be wrote:I've been vegetarian off and on all my life...I'm SDA and that's how it began. As an adult I can eat what I choose, but I don't really care for meat. About once a month I get a craving and one or two burgers from Krystal's will fill that craving or chicken nuggets from anywhere.

I don't use a lot of recipes from recipe sites because I've grown up eating this way and know what I like. But I will say to be cautious when using the Boca, Morningstar Farms, LaLoma/Loma Linda, Cedar Creek and other soy or meat substitutes because they tend to be a bit higher in sodium to make up for the low fat content and we know fat equals flavor, right?

What I try to do is make sure I get a balance of veggies and grains. I took a health class in college and there's primarily one thing I recalled about eating a strict vegetarian diet...something about losing amino acids if you don't eat certain items in combination. Like beans and rice together will give you a certain amino acid, but not one without the other or something like that.

I'm not a good poster child for vegetarianism because I don't have all the rules downpat, but clearly, the diet works for many, many people. But just like you have researched for info about your hair, you'll need to research about your diet as well. If you truly want to be vegan eventually, I would recommend a friend's site: Health Seminars Unlimited Paula is my health teacher from college and a personal friend. If I can get my hands on one of her books, I'll PM you and get it to you...or at least some of her recipes. I took one of her cooking classes with a former boyfriend. Some of the stuff was a little bland and other things were surprisingly tasty (like the lemon meringue pie made with Silken Tofu).

Don't let anyone make you think you have few options being vegetarian. Just like natural hair there are a million ways to spice up your menu...just be patient and educate yourself on the options out there. If you have any questions about a particular product, send me a PM. I am surrounded by health nuts in Huntsville and can certainly track down tons of first-hand reviews for you. LOL

Good luck! *Um, you will note that I am a big girl and that's on a mostly vegetarian diet, so you can overdo ANYTHING. I enjoy all of my veggies, usually slathered in butter and covered in cheese. Smile

Thanks. I would appreciate any information you provide.
MissFierce21
MissFierce21

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 15th April 2010, 8:21 pm

Congrats on your desire to go Veggie!
I was vegetarian for a short while and could not continue it because I was supplying my own food (Mom did not want to help completely. Sad)and ate from the Whole Foods Market which was extremely expensive. I am very picky about fruits and vegetables so that's why I have a hard time choosing foods in grocery stores that are "exposed" to chemicals/pesticides. So I may eat Pineapples and Bananas with no problem because their skin is thicker...though I'm not even completely sure if they spray those.

Anyways, I may never go completely veggie again because I am in love with seafood.

If you have not noticed, there are different types of vegetarianism. I was an Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian meaning i allowed dairy and eggs into my diet. There's plain Lacto-Vegetarians, and Vegans, Flexitarians, etc, the list goes on. ^-^

PETA was what got me started on my vegetarian lifestyle, but I've come to dislike them and their very forceful attitudes.

It is important that you include a variety of veggies, fruits and beans into your diet. All vegetables will not give you the nutrition you need to function. Beans are extremely important when you remove meat from your diet, and soybeans as mentioned above cannot be your only one. Here is a good government based (though English Gov't lol) website that lists some good foods to eat that will help you to ensure that you get the vitamins & minerals you will need in your diet.
http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthydiet/vegaveg/ (This site also has recipes but you have to look for vegetarian ones)

And as for shopping you can go to a Whole Foods Market, Farmer's Market...They're kind of easy to point out if drive past them, they usually have "Market" in the name, or you can use this: http://www.organicstorelocator.com/

And I would also do some information on the difference between natural & Organic foods just as some extra info for yourself if you wish.

Good luck. Smile
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyMo 30th April 2010, 5:40 am

Hi Ladies~
Im curently Vegan......I was Vegetarian for 7 years then moved to Vegan...Its a lifestyle change...Now working on the hubby [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] trying to get him there....

Some good books to get you started Alisia Silverstones Book "The Kind Diet", and "Skinny Bitch"

2 cookbook Favs are "Vegan With A Vengance" and Vegitarian Jamaican Cookbook.....

If you have any questions I have 7 years under my belt and would be more than happy to help. I would suggest starting with the book "The Kind Diet"....GOOD STUFF IN THIS BOOK....
CurlyMo
CurlyMo

Back to top Go down

Post by cherece 30th April 2010, 5:33 pm

I have been vegetarian and vegan off and on most of my life. Currently, I am vegetarian.
I agree with CurlyMo, The Kind Diet and Skinny Bitch are both good starter books and I LOVE Vegan with a Vengance (the recipes in there are so good).

I would also be glad to answer any questions you may have.

cherece

Back to top Go down

Post by MissFierce21 30th April 2010, 7:59 pm

Thanks so much ladies. @CurlyMo and cherece, I have the book "Skinny Bitch" and it is definitely helping me on my journey. I guess I will get "The Kind Diet" hopefully that will take me farther.
MissFierce21
MissFierce21

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyMo 1st May 2010, 3:58 pm

@MissFierce21~

Absolutly the "The Kind Diet" will take you farther. It gives you 3 options to get started easing you into the Vegan world...

Also try online to find Vegan/Vegitarian Restaurants in your area and try them out....
CurlyMo
CurlyMo

Back to top Go down

Post by MissFierce21 1st May 2010, 4:16 pm

@CurlyMo, thanks Ms Lady.
MissFierce21
MissFierce21

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyMo 1st May 2010, 9:01 pm

Your welcome anytime!!!
CurlyMo
CurlyMo

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 1st May 2010, 10:04 pm

I am 90% raw (I taste the vegan food I cook for my daughter to make sure it is palatable). I get her recipes from http://vegweb.com// Everything there is vegan but I am sure you can modify it to be vegetarian. There is not one recipe there that I have tried that has been horrible. I have been experimenting with the Seitan and Tempeh. The site is very easy to manuever through and very user friendly. Recipes are by category which makes it very easy to find what you are looking for. I hope that helps!
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by MissFierce21 1st May 2010, 10:16 pm

DreamMerchant wrote:I am 90% raw (I taste the vegan food I cook for my daughter to make sure it is palatable). I get her recipes from http://vegweb.com// Everything there is vegan but I am sure you can modify it to be vegetarian. There is not one recipe there that I have tried that has been horrible. I have been experimenting with the Seitan and Tempeh. The site is very easy to manuever through and very user friendly. Recipes are by category which makes it very easy to find what you are looking for. I hope that helps!

I'm so glad you metioned this...where exactly can I find temph (what isle, certain store???) because I am having the hardest time finding it.
MissFierce21
MissFierce21

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 1st May 2010, 10:34 pm

@MissFierce, I get mine at my a store called "Green Acres". It is a health food store here in Wichita. I did not see it at whole foods. I have not seen it at Wal-mart or krogers (Dillons). I do not see it at our whole foods either. Sorry I could not have been more help. Sad
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollis 1st May 2010, 11:17 pm

I have been a vegetarian for about 5 years and am trying to go vegan now but am having a hard time giving up cheese. I was going to recommend skinny bitch also that helped me out a lot. Another good book is You Don't Have To Be A Treehugger To Be A Vegan. It is not as detailed as Skinny Bitch or some of the others but it is pretty funny and does give some good facts. My favorite recipe site is www.fatfreevegan.com. A lot of the recipes their taste really good and are on the Eat To Live plan. I don't know if you have ever heard of that, but that book is by Dr. Furhman. That is a really good book also but very technical so it can get a little boring. I also have to cosign on Vegan with a Vengeance. I have that book as well as all of the authors books and I would also recommend Veganomican by the same authors. That book has a lot of recipes and it actually tells you how to make your own temph and seitan from scratch. I highly recommend it.

I will def be looking into the kind diet and vegitarian jamaican cookbook, my husband is jamaican so I need that lol. Although I did alter my curry chicken recipe with tofu. I found a way to make tofu taste more like meat were it is not mushy. I agree with Ellex I very rarely eat tofu or soy products because I also heard it is not good to eat that any more than once or twice a week due to hormone issues. I spoke with the author of Preparing Whole Foods for a Whole Month (Christy Wade) and she is vegan and told me that she used to give her children soy milk and tofu and her 3 year old daughter grew a breast and her 5 year old son I believe started acting out and becoming angry. When she removed soy from their diet they were fine. Her book is also excellent it has very simple recipes that can be made as one meal or it can last a month. She breaks everything down for you. She is vegan and does not eat anything processed. Her banana bread recipe is the only recipe that calls for eggs I believe. It is really good though! HTH Very Happy
Hollis
Hollis

Back to top Go down

Post by MissFierce21 1st May 2010, 11:30 pm

Thanks so much ladies, you are definitely great help.
MissFierce21
MissFierce21

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyMo 1st May 2010, 11:39 pm

@Hollis~ For cheese try the brand Follow Your Heart very good and it melts..mmmm

@MissFierce21~

Tempeh and Sietan can be purchased at any Health Food Store I buy mine at Whole Foods, Trader Joe, and any small chain Heath Food Store in my area

Try http://www.vegieworld.com/ you can buy Tempeh, Veggie Chicken,Pork,Beef,Fish,Shrimp...
CurlyMo
CurlyMo

Back to top Go down

Post by cherece 3rd May 2010, 2:28 pm

One website that I go to a lot it www.theppk.com. ppk stands for Post Punk Kitchen. The women who wrote Vegan with a Vengance also have this website where they post great vegan receipes and they have one of my favorite books: Vegan cupcakes take over the world.
Another cookbook that I think is great is The Real Food Daily cookbook.
I can probably come up with a few more cookbook favs if you are going that route.

Note:
In addition to being a huge product junkie, I am also a big time cookbook junkie [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .

cherece

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollis 3rd May 2010, 9:21 pm

@CurlyMo, Thanks! I will try that brand and see how it goes. I tried a couple of faux cheese brands in the past and didn't really like them. I have made my own cheese before with nutritional yeast which it comes out good but it is still not as good to me as regular cheese. I guess I have to get used to it. Very Happy The vegetarian jamaican cook book is that the exact name? Also who is the author? I couldn't find it on Amazon. Thanks!
Hollis
Hollis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next