CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Natural Me

+4
KinkyNappyHappy
mochamoments
sweetdrk1
EllaMomi2002
8 posters

Go down

The New Natural Me Empty The New Natural Me

Post by EllaMomi2002 6th April 2010, 11:41 am

Aaaargh!!! I just finished a long post and it disappeared. The New Natural Me Icon_mad

Well, I'm not in the mood to type it up again, but I wanted to start my thread today.

I did my bc on March 1st, I might say on a whim, but it's been in the back of my head for years. I had no idea what I would do once I went natural but am thankful for this site and the tons of youtube videos that inspired and educated me.

My number 1 reason for going natural is for my beautiful daughter. I always said I would stop relaxing once I had a little girl. Well she just turned 8 this weekend and I am glad I finally did it. She's very excited about my "new" hair and loves that one day we will finally rock similar hairstyles.

I am falling in love with myself all over again. And this journey has also made me take a look at other areas in my life that I've been neglecting or putting on the back burner.

So, today, I rock my TWA with pride, taking a moment to put on some earrings and a little mascara.
EllaMomi2002
EllaMomi2002

Back to top Go down

The New Natural Me Empty Re: The New Natural Me

Post by sweetdrk1 6th April 2010, 11:57 am

EllaMomi2002 wrote:Aaaargh!!! I just finished a long post and it disappeared. The New Natural Me Icon_mad

Well, I'm not in the mood to type it up again, but I wanted to start my thread today.

I did my bc on March 1st, I might say on a whim, but it's been in the back of my head for years. I had no idea what I would do once I went natural but am thankful for this site and the tons of youtube videos that inspired and educated me.

My number 1 reason for going natural is for my beautiful daughter. I always said I would stop relaxing once I had a little girl. Well she just turned 8 this weekend and I am glad I finally did it. She's very excited about my "new" hair and loves that one day we will finally rock similar hairstyles.

I am falling in love with myself all over again. And this journey has also made me take a look at other areas in my life that I've been neglecting or putting on the back burner.

So, today, I rock my TWA with pride, taking a moment to put on some earrings and a little mascara.

YES!! I love it! and Welcome!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by EllaMomi2002 7th April 2010, 1:58 pm

Thanks Sweetdrk!

Hmmmm, trying to get 3rd day hair out of this twa, didn't work. My spray bottle concoction of water, EVOO, avocado oil and there may be something else in there, just sat on top of my hair and was very greasy, YUCK!

Thank goodness it's hot outside.

I'm still debating whether or not I need to go to a stylist to get my hair trimmed. My husband tried to even it with the clippers after my BC and it is NOT even and I think the ends don't look as great as I'd like. I'm thinking a stylist could help give it some shape.

Stay tuned, we'll see.... Now to find a reasonably priced natural hair stylist that can do something with this twa.

Ok, I'm off to enjoy this beautiful day.
EllaMomi2002
EllaMomi2002

Back to top Go down

Post by mochamoments 7th April 2010, 2:02 pm

Welcome! I love how learning about my natural hair taught me so much about my daughter's that I didn't know before. I wish you all the best on your journey.
mochamoments
mochamoments

http://www.mochamomentsmom.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 7th April 2010, 2:11 pm

Welcome...look forward to following your journey with you!!! I don't have a daughter, but I am now buying different shampoo for my sons, and suggesting they use conditioner to shamppo their hair.

Of course they think I'm losing it!!! The New Natural Me Lol Boys will shampoo their hair with a bar of soap!!!

KNH
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by jcanalena79 7th April 2010, 2:12 pm

Welcome! My daughter is my inspiration as well.
jcanalena79
jcanalena79

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 7th April 2010, 2:40 pm

Hello and welcome!!! I look forward to reading your posts Smile
bholmes87
bholmes87

http://fotki.com/bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by EllaMomi2002 8th April 2010, 8:35 pm

Thanks for the welcome ladies! This is such an amazing board, so supportive, I love it.

@KinkyNappyHappy - LOL! I have a younger son too, so that's what I have to look forward to The New Natural Me Icon_eek I should have known b/c my husband is the same.

About my daughter, she is one of the few african americans in her school, so lately the hair issue has been coming up. She wants bangs and to be able to wear her hair long and straight. I have blown her hair out every now and then, mostly for convenience. This was the wake up call for me to finally go natural. Just telling her that her hair was beautiful in all its natural glory while relaxing mine felt hypocritical. Now I feel we can have an honest conversation about our hair and she won't have to feel that I'm saying one thing and doing another. I don't know who's learning more on the Motherhood journey she or me.

I must say she has always gotten compliments from her classmates and their mothers about her hair. We've done twists, cornrows with beads, braids outs, twist outs and puffs. Its funny how the girls with straight hair wants hair like my daughter so they can do all these styles. I've even seen a few blond girls in her class sport braids with beads. I've had Moms come up to me to ask how I did a particular style.

There's a lot of curiosity about our hair, so I think by embracing it and loving ourselves first can only empower the younger generation and to see the media's depiction of black women or women in general for the farse that it is.

OK, off my soapbox.

My hair today, love it! Not much a change in style but some days look better than others. I tried Aubrey Organics Jojoba Aloe Desert Herb Revitalizing Conditioner for Dry Hair as a co-wash today. It was very moisturizing but I can't say that I love the smell. I used my usual Kinky Kurly Knot Today and Curling Custard with the desired results.

One thing, my hair is like 3 different textures, and a little frustrating. I'm going to assume as time goes on it'll work itself out, lol.

Ok, that's it for now.

If you've gotten this far, Thanx for listening.
EllaMomi2002
EllaMomi2002

Back to top Go down

The New Natural Me Empty Thinking of Hennaing.

Post by EllaMomi2002 9th April 2010, 9:21 pm

I just received the henna I purchased from a seller on amazon.com. It's the Jamila Premiere Qualite Henne. I haven't opened the package yet. I'm going to check out the henna board to get some info.

When I did the BC all these gray hairs popped out of nowhere. And they seem to be concentrated on my hairline.

I also bought some Dr. Bronner's Castille Soap (the orange one). I like citrus scented body products so I thought I'd give it a try. Gotta dilute it right? I'll try it as a body wash first and the will see if I'll use it to clarify.

I guess I'll be online all night trying to figure out how to use these products.

My hair today - The usual wash and go with Aubrey Organics Aloe Jojoba Herb Condish, Knot today and Kinky Curly. It withstood the rain and didn't look half bad.

Ok, off to read. This site is VERY addicting.
EllaMomi2002
EllaMomi2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 9th April 2010, 11:56 pm

welcome
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 10th April 2010, 1:42 am

Congratulations!