CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Procastinators Anonymous

+10
Tiffy2
Pi*Jay
MsIconic
HoneynBrown
*CurlyNikki*
Succinctlyso
AfrikanLatina
natural83
dajewel
Iomer
14 posters

Go down

Procastinators Anonymous Empty Procastinators Anonymous

Post by Iomer 9th November 2009, 1:49 am

Well I guess we can't be completely anonymous, but I would like this thread to be about sharing tips to combat procrastination. I am a major procrastinator. Matter of fact I have a paper due tomorrow at midnight that I should be doing right now. I have 2 sentences. lol.

My first tip is to write the due date of the in your calender a week or so early so when you get to that date you will freak out and write a rushed paper (but at least have something done) and you will find out that the due date is a week later and have ample time to edit and perfect.

Funny thing is this happened with my paper now. The original due date was October 29 and the teacher extended the due date to November 9. I found this out and was like "I can read the book and finish my paper in 2 days so I'll wait until next weekend. scratch dunno what's wrong with me. lol let me get on it.
Iomer
Iomer

http://naturaleighc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Procastinators Anonymous Empty Re: Procastinators Anonymous

Post by dajewel 9th November 2009, 2:03 am

lol!! oh gosh!!

well, i try to work on my assignment for 10 mins each day. i notice that if i work on it for 10 mins, then 10 mins turns in 30 mins and 30 mins turns a couple of hours, and before you know it i have made significant progress.

also, i notice that i have to have music on in order to do my work. i usually listen to fast-paced or inspirational music. gets in my zone!

and certain inspirational quotes keep me focused while i am working on my assignments.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 9th November 2009, 5:16 am

Oh man, Im such a procrastinor myself! And its so sad because every year, one of my new year's resolutions is always to stop procastinating everything! I used to not be like that, but I think I picked the habit up in college for some odd reason! Oh well, I need to work on doing things in advance myself!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 9th November 2009, 1:50 pm

Most of my best work was done/finished the night before when I was in college. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] When I go back for my masters next year I'm going to try to stay organized so that procrastination doesn't become an issue but with a son who'll be 1 by then a husband who is also a procrastinator we'll see how that goes lol.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Succinctlyso 9th November 2009, 2:02 pm

I procrastinate too...

It's almost like i work better under the stress but in the long rn that can' tbe good, right?

my $2000 iMac has been tripping... I ghave a three year warranty... it's not like i have to pay to get it fixed... i just have to drop it off and pick it up... Best buy is about a mile from my house... ask me if i've dropped it off....

NOPE... why? becuase A&E is bomb when i get off work! that's why!! But now im getting a breast reduction and im not goign to be able to move around a lot and my computer serves as my lil TV in my room... NOW WHAT TO DO!? I gotta take it today tog et it fixed before the holiday on Wednesday... LOL...*sigh*

the things we do to ourselves!
Succinctlyso
Succinctlyso

http://www.twitter.com/succinctlyso

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 9th November 2009, 3:59 pm

Checking in...

I'll be back later to post some tips on attacking procrastinating. Can't say that I use all of them, but some are very helpful!
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

http://www.curlynikki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HoneynBrown 10th November 2009, 9:11 pm

umm... i'm out of ideas, i tried using the calendar, the to do list, etc. You name it i have done it and failed at it. Im still doing my month old resume.

HoneynBrown

http://www.myspace.com/goldengoddess

Back to top Go down

Post by MsIconic 10th November 2009, 9:17 pm

omg i can really relate. i woke up this morning at 6 to write a paper that was due today. after doing that one, i wrote another one, the hour before it was due. i know i'm bad, cuz i'll actually look at my work on the desk and think "i need to do that", then i go right back to watching tv. lol. i would say that i should know by now, but i always get A's (even though i'm stressed as hell) so i guess i'm gonna keep working it if it works for me.
MsIconic
MsIconic

http://www.almostsimple.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 10th November 2009, 10:10 pm

What do you think comes first motivation or action?

If you guessed motivation, it'd be a great guess, but you're wrong Smile It's motivation. It looks like this:

ACTION-----Motivation-------MORE ACTION

One way to tackle procrastination is to identify the task you've been putting off, and conclude that it's to your advantage to complete it, or at least start on it.

You can do one or both of the following:

-break it down into more manageable parts (clean the bathroom instead of the whole house, research prior to outlining that paper, etc.)

-allot 15 minutes each day to the assignment/task. It sounds like nothing--like a drop in the bucket, right? But 15 minutes is very reasonable! The cool thing is that you won't dread it (like you would studying for 2 hours), and once you get going, the motivation will come, and before you know it, you'll be an hour in and would've completed wayyyy more than you intended! Action--motivation--more action Smile I'm sure you can think of instances where this rings true...I never feel like cleaning the house, but when I start, I can't stop...and it actually proves to be less painful than I thought it would be Smile

hope this helps! For more info, check out The Feeling Good Handbook by David Burns MD. The above is from this book...it's amazing, and a MUST READ Smile
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pi*Jay 11th November 2009, 1:49 am

My sophomore year of HS I turned in my final paper of the year 2 WEEKS after school ENDED!! Now thats procrastination at it finest- I think it runs in the family. It really is a disorder... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] So I am not in any position to be giving advice on this subject.

However, that sounds right on Nikki... cause I can never seem to motivate myself laying in the bed telling myself that I have work to do. My body never seems to listen. I guess if I tried moving my body my mind would follow suit. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Pi*Jay
Pi*Jay

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiffy2 12th November 2009, 8:40 pm

I'm very much a procrastinator! I almost never see anything through to the end. I also let things cripple me so that I'm forced to depend on other people. I don't like that about myself,I wanna change it but don't know how. I got my drivers license when I was 26. but I don't drive very far. so when my kids or I have a doctors appointment I have to wake my husband up out of his peaceful sleep so that he can drive me there. I let the fact that people drive crazy sometime keep me from being independent. I always ask myself "what are you scared of Tiffany"!? And my answer is,I'm scared of having an accident. And from then on that fear has had a hold of me. I always wonder what I'm gonna do when my husband starts going on tour or just don't feel like bringing me where I have to go.
Tiffy2
Tiffy2

https://facebook.com/cherrikissez

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 12th November 2009, 9:03 pm

u got that right 'if i move my body, my mind will follow'. excellent way to put it! It really works.

Tiffy2, get that book I referenced above...do the activities and you'll get some relief. You're dealing with something called emotional reasoning. Your thoughts and feelings AREN'T facts...just because you think you're gonna get in a accident, doesn't mean that you will. I bet when you get scared you start imagining all the worst case scenarios (running off the road, laying in a hospital bed, etc.)? That book will teach you how to divert your attention elsewhere...it'll help get your mind off of your thoughts, uneasy feelings, and body responses (heart racing, sweating, etc.), and refocus on your environment. Dr. Burns is amazing.
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by crvng4mr 12th November 2009, 11:42 pm

I think it's the words Decide, Commit, Resolve that makes me a procrastinator. Or maybe I just want to say it is. I have no problem with the first 2 but the resolve part is where I get lost most of the time...oh well.
crvng4mr
crvng4mr

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiffy2 13th November 2009, 4:51 pm

Thanks Nikki,I'll have to check that out!
Tiffy2
Tiffy2

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 15th November 2009, 1:53 am

OMG!! my friends constantly get on me for procrastinating! i've basically been a procrasty all my life. is this a disease? all in the mind? i make "to do" list everyday, contacting my dentist for my wisdom teeth removal has been on there all week but i've yet to cross it off. i keep settin my alarm clock for 4 or 5am to get off my lazy azz to exercise but soon as the alarm goes off i hit "OFF" and get up sayin "ill do it tomorrow for sure". i've only exercised ONE DAY....last week! **holding my head in shame** [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thanx guys for lettin me know im not alone!

my name is kisha and i approve this message.
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiffy2 15th November 2009, 4:24 pm

OMG THAT'S SOUNDS LIKE MY HUSBAND AND I LOL! we went to the gym one day last week and said we would go everyday. it's hard to get up in the morning and workout. I try to make it a little easier on myself and walk my dog everday so I could get my workout on.but sometimes I don't feel like walking him. how sad!
Tiffy2
Tiffy2

Back to top Go down

Post by Notthecoolmom 2nd December 2009, 2:36 am

I'll put it this way...when I was little my mom made me learn a word a week. First day, the word. Next day the spelling. Third day the definition, etc.

My first word: procrastination.

Enough said.
Notthecoolmom
Notthecoolmom

https://www.youtube.com/user/Notthecoolmom

Back to top Go down

Post by MeekMonique 9th December 2009, 1:25 pm

@Notthecoolmom: lol!!!!

@Tiffy2: so thankful u commented this thread, I deal with the same issue. I fear getting into a car accident as well. I'm glad u commented because I think it's a very uncommon fear to have or at least not one that you hear about often. Glad to know I'm not the only one.
MeekMonique
MeekMonique

http://fotki.com/RoyalEmpress2

Back to top Go down

Post by MeekMonique 9th December 2009, 1:30 pm

I'm also a sever procrastinator with academics!!!
I was supposed to do my Psych paper on Saturday because I have 2 other longer papers due....it's due tonight and I still haven't started it. I'm so disappointed in myself because that was the shortest paper and I wanted to get it out of the way so I can prepare a speech+powerpoint for another class due tomorrow and work on my term paper and study for a final exam for a third class on Friday.

Now I don't know if I will be able to prepare my speech and I don't know if I can write my 6 page term paper (It doesn't sound like a lot of pages, but when it's in a foreign language and you haven't researched the topic yet...it's harder)

All I can do now is pray!.................and get started
MeekMonique
MeekMonique

http://fotki.com/RoyalEmpress2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down