CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help! I'm Getting Very Weak

+9
missartistic
Music8192
HappyCurly
A-Felice
bertlala
neethair
BlakButterfli
ChrsLvsBks
JORIE
13 posters

Go down

Help! I'm Getting Very Weak Empty Help! I'm Getting Very Weak

Post by JORIE 30th March 2010, 4:25 pm

I have posted before about hair growth and got some wonderful replies but I am really getting weak. My hair just won't grow! Here is what I do:

co-wash once a week
shampoo only once a month with sulfate free shampoo
deep condition once a week
low manipulation
no heat
moisturize every day sometimes twice a day
take supplements
drink water
eat greens
sleep on a satin pillow and satin scarf
wear a wig as a protective style (hair is in plats underneathe)
henna every few months
scalp massages

I have also tried almost every growth aid from MN to castor oil to MTG to silica to biotin and the list goes on. My hair won't grow. I henna'd for the last time on Jan. 6th and my hair has only grown 1 inch!!!! I have gray hair, so it is easy to measure. 1 inch in 3 months!!!!!!!! WTH???? My last relaxer was Feb. 14, 2009. I did the BC in Sept. of 2009. Shouldn't I have some good growth by now????? I feel like all my effort is frutile. I assumed by June of this year, I could do wash and go's and cute braid outs and rock a cute bob or something. No way can I do that. My hair is too short. Why won't it grow????????? So upset I want to ball my eyes out. I see all these curlies on this site and on youtube that have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more growth than me even though they might have BC after me. I have to mention that my hair hates protein but maybe I need to take protein internally??? IDK. All I know is that I am getting so frustrated, that I am considering putting a relaxer in it. I don't want to do that. I don't have any scalp issues, seems healthy. No dandruff, no dryness. My texture is a little 4c on the sides, 4b in the front and middle and 4a in the back. I first thought it was my texture, but I see other 4's with length and cute styles. Please help, I am so desperate and frustrated. Sorry this is so long but I just don't know what to do any more. I hate to say this, but I am starting to hate my hair. Not the texture, just my hair in general because I treat it so well and it seems to be dissing me!
JORIE
JORIE

Back to top Go down

Help! I'm Getting Very Weak Empty Re: Help! I'm Getting Very Weak

Post by ChrsLvsBks 30th March 2010, 5:46 pm

I have read others who have had similar experiences. It is hard not to compare yourself to others. Your hair may only grow 0.33 a month. Your regimen sounds great! You could try increasing your co-washing per week to three to four times. Be encouraged!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 30th March 2010, 7:39 pm

Stay encouraged, Jorie! I feel the exact same way about my hair and seriously think my diabetes has something to do with it. That being said...

...please try to love and rock what you have now. I know it's hard - TRUST me, I rant about my lack of growth ALL the time - but it gets easier if you rock what ya got until the growth happens.

My hair is 4a textured, EXTREMELY soft and I BC'd in 2007 and it looks like I BC'd a month ago. It gets very frustrating, but we just have to make the best of it for now.

Please PM if you want to talk. I'm here. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by JORIE 30th March 2010, 7:48 pm

Thanks ladies, so, so much for the suggestions and encouragement. I am beyond grateful. And you both have lovely hair (BlakButterfli-slow growing or not, your hair is lovely).
JORIE
JORIE

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 30th March 2010, 9:16 pm

No problem girl! I need encouragement on a daily and I have some natural and not natural friends who give it to me. And I want to help you if I can too.

Thanks for the compliment. I actually had a stylist do that for me - have you thought about going to a professional natural styler so they can show you what you can do to your hair?
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by JORIE 31st March 2010, 10:08 am

Thats a good idea BlakButterfli, but there are no natural stylists where I live. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
JORIE
JORIE

Back to top Go down

Post by neethair 31st March 2010, 2:35 pm

Jorie-

Hang in there. Everyone's hair is different take this opportunity to learn your hair and your growth pattern. Curly Nikki's feature for today Toni had a great quote, " Being natural is like being in a relationship...You have to spice things up to keep it interesting and the longer it goes on the better you get to know each other."
Girl, and you know how much work we woman put into relationships, give that same patience and effort to your hair and I know it will grow like weeds.

Just do what's best for you.
neethair
neethair

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 31st March 2010, 5:42 pm

Jorie - what part of the country are you in??
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by JORIE 31st March 2010, 10:37 pm

I like that statement about being in a relationship with your hair. Good one.

I am located in Suffolk County on Long Island in NY.
JORIE
JORIE

Back to top Go down

Post by bertlala 31st March 2010, 11:00 pm

DON'T DO IT!!! It is difficult, a few months ago I found Kimmaytube on youtube. She definitely opened my eyes about hair and understanding its structure. Check out some of her videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/kimmaytube#p/u/12/-i3MC4d-HmY

Hopefully they will inspire you. Good luck and stay strong!!
bertlala
bertlala

http://naturalbeezwax.onsugar.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JORIE 1st April 2010, 9:56 am

Thanks bertlala. I actually watch her videos all the time, over and over. She has great information and her videos are so well done. I saw a few of her videos regarding how her hair never seemed to grow past a certain point until she started taking care of it, but I have been taking care of my hair since last Feb. and I hardly see any growth. To be fair to my hair, I am counting growth since my BC in Sept. '09. That was 7 months ago and my hair is only a little bit longer. I feel like it is a lot of work for no results. Maybe if I had a natural hair salon way out here in Suffolk County that would help. I am sure in Brooklyn ( I was born there [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ) there are plenty. Have you been to any? I would like to at least once go to Miss. Jessie's. Once because I know expensive they are. I am trying so hard to just hang in there. I was so looking forward to a cute wash and go bob for the summer. Not going to happen. I wonder how long it took other curlies to grow hair long enough to have a wash and go bob or twist out or braid out bob. HMMMM. Thanks for your encouragement!
JORIE
JORIE

Back to top Go down

Post by bertlala 1st April 2010, 11:41 am

Jorie - I know the fustration. This is my 2nd attempt at going natural. I did the BC back in 2005 and after a few months, I went back to the creme crack - LOL!!! I so regret that decision. I never gave my hair the opportunity to really be chemically free.

One thing, I learned from Kimmay's videos, hair loves water. Hair is like a flower it needs water to grow. I also learned that sometimes, you need to do some research. I am currently in school and don't have the leisure time I use too [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] , but once this semester is complete; I'm going to purchase the following books about natural hair care:

• Thank God I'm Natural--The Ultimate Guide to Caring for and Maintaining Natural Hair - Chris-Tia Donaldson
  • Ultra Black Hair Growth II 2000 Edition - Cathy Howse
  • Grow It: How To Grow Afro-Textured Hair To Maximum Lengths In The Shortest Time - Chicoro

It is important that we understand the structure and make-up of our hair. Not all products are going to work for all people and knowing your hair, you will be able to tell what is best for it.

Yes, living in Brooklyn has its advantages. Natural hair salons are very accessible. I was thinking about going to Miss Jessie's for my BC, but they are so expensive. It makes NO sense to pay all that money. I am just going to go to my regular hair dresser and get it done.

Keep the faith!!! No matter how hard it gets, just keep trying.
Your hair is throwing a tantrum and probably going through creme crack withdrawal [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . It will get over it and behave eventually. In the meantime, patience, trial and error are your friends.

Good luck and keep me up-to-date. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] YOU CAN DO IT!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
bertlala
bertlala

http://naturalbeezwax.onsugar.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JORIE 1st April 2010, 6:14 pm

Thank you so much for all your support BertLala. Wow, so you had to start all over again.

I do give my hair a lot of water. I don't wash more (will do so in the summer), but I saturate with water daily, sometimes twice a day. It makes a huge difference in how my hair looks and feels, but as far as growth, ha!

I have read Cathy Howes' book, maybe I will pick up the others even though I feel I have learned all I need to know.

I think I have to just keep the faith just like you said and maybe just forget about it. Maybe I should just wig it for anoother year and see then. I hate feeling like I will never have long hair (never have before). I know I should only care about the health, but dang, I want long, healthy hair.

I will keep you posted. Thanks for everything! I appreciate it so much.
JORIE
JORIE

Back to top Go down

Post by A-Felice 13th April 2010, 10:29 pm

JORIE wrote: I hate feeling like I will never have long hair (never have before). I know I should only care about the health, but dang, I want long, healthy hair.
Not to alarm you, or sound discouraging, but, if you've never had long hair before, perhaps you never will.

I say this because my sister has shoulder length hair and I (before I BC'd) had BSL hair. Through her lifetime, my sister has big chopped over six times (she’s an experimenter). Each time her hair would grow rapidly back, but it would always stop at shoulder length. Even when we were younger, as a child her hair stopped growing as it reached shoulder length, while my hair still grew to BSL. I think this is because she reached the maximum growth she could achieve, i.e. shoulder length is her natural length at maximum growth, and while we received the same hair care when we were younger my hair would grow longer and hers wouldn't. Perhaps it's genetic. Perhaps our hair reaches a certain natural length and then stops because that's the hair length we were meant to have? My hair has never passed BSL... I don't know, I'm just suggesting, and I may be completely wrong. But maybe part of going natural is also accepting your natural hair length, even if it’s shorter than you’d like it to be. Keep persevering! Even though your hair may not be the length you want at least it will be healthy, because you’re regimen looks so well thought out.
A-Felice
A-Felice

Back to top Go down

Post by JORIE 13th April 2010, 10:52 pm

Thanks A-Felice. I appreciate your honesty. I and in the middle on this issue. I see so many youtubers that say they never had long hair before they went natural and started taking care of their hair and then there is my belief in what you said. All I can do is wait and see and continue as I have been. Thanks for sharing and for your comments.
JORIE
JORIE

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 21st April 2010, 7:07 pm

I am new to this process, and new to paying this much attention to my hair, so I don't know for sure what is going on with yours. But the first thing I thought when I read your profile was that maybe you should wear less wigs. Maybe, hair needs air, just like plants do, just like lungs do. Maybe it can't get enough good clean air under the wigs. Or maybe it needs sunshine with the air (I have no idea.)

The wigs are good for having a predictable style, and are good for not letting your curly hair get tangled, but I bet you can find another style!

Good luck; I think your natural hair can grow too.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Music8192 21st April 2010, 9:15 pm

hang in there! your hair care regimen is WAYYY better than mine. LOL

Did you ever try braids? I know from my experience my hair grows the fastest after i put box braids/single braids in my hair and take them out after two months.

I personally want hair past my shoulders however i want healthy hair. My hair has never been past shoulder length and this is my first time seeing it in it's natural state.

did you think about going to a dermatologist?

but you have to do what works best for you. you are aware of your hair type and texture and how it response to certain things.

im no expert just some suggestions lol

i wish you the best of luck, you'll be fine!
flower run
Music8192
Music8192

Back to top Go down

Post by missartistic 21st April 2010, 9:44 pm

I feel your pain, I went as far as to make an appointment then cancel it at the last minute... I had to remember that I just have to stay positive take care of my hair and stay strong. Check out the rest of the grow long forum, there is a lot tips! Positive energy attracts positive results..stay strong!
missartistic
missartistic

Back to top Go down

Post by natural newbie 22nd April 2010, 3:02 pm

Hey! Hang in there hon. Try to recall the reasons you went natural. I understand how you feel. I became natural because I have lupus so my meds and the perm made for an unhappy head of hair. I transition for a year using wigs but during that time NOTHING worked on my hair. I could not even wear a wash and go because I looked like a wet mop. Then one day one of my twist outs worked and it was on from there. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] LOL. Now I am focusing on growth which is a challenge in itself, but when I get disappointed I remember the journey it took to get here, and I remain encouraged. So my advice would be to do what you want to do even it means perming your hair. But don't do anything off of pure emotion. Give it a little more time and see how you feel. Good luck.
natural newbie
natural newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by JORIE 22nd April 2010, 4:12 pm

Music8192-yes, I did try braids on and off for years and each time, I lost so much hair that I am too afraid to go that route again. No matter how many times I told the braider not to braid tight, their loose braiding was still too tight and hair came out from the root. I worked too hard to have the little hair I have to have it ripped out from the root due to braiding. I may do a full head curly weave, but I am afraid of that too. Too tight braiding for the tracks. What to do, what to do? You make a good point with the wigs. I never thought of that. But my hair is just too short (for my taste) for me to just wash and go or do a twist out. I would only be comfortable with a bob and I am a looooooooooooooooooooong way from a bob (unstretched hair). i wonder if anyone else has had success with a curly weave and did not have any major breakage or fall out. Have you?

As far as the other ladies, thank you so much. Your encouraging words really help. Good luck to you all.
JORIE
JORIE

Back to top Go down

Post by luvinlife225 25th April 2010, 10:47 am

Hey Jorie,
I know I'm a bit late and I don't know if this has been asked and answered but if you're hair isn't growing do you think it might be due to hormones? The reason I ask is I have a hormonal imbalance and when my hormones are out of wack my hair growth stalls, but when my hormones are normal my hair growth is back to normal. I also have a friend (a fellow curly) and she has a thyroid problem (can't remember if it's over or under active) and before she was diagnosed she wondered why her hair wouldn't grow. Turns out her condition was the cause. Maybe something to check out. My apologies if you've already answered this question. Take care!

Last edited by luvinlife225 on 27th April 2010, 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
luvinlife225
luvinlife225

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachtree 25th April 2010, 2:20 pm

natural newbie wrote:Hey! Hang in there hon. Try to recall the reasons you went natural.

This is my comment exactly! The journey will get easier once you start enjoying the process. Hang in there!
Peachtree
Peachtree

Back to top Go down

Post by JORIE 26th April 2010, 10:00 pm

To Luvinlife-hmmmm, that is something to consider. I will look into it. Thanks.

To Peachtree-I am salivating over your hair and your daughter's hair! Gorgeous.
JORIE
JORIE

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybrittain 27th May 2010, 10:33 am

Jorie hang in there. I went natural once before and like some of the other ladies I went back to the crack cause I didn't know how to take care of it. When I put that perm on it started breaking out so bad and I was so mad at myself. I just chopped it off after a year of transitioning in February and was scared I made another mistake. Once I got on this site I embraced my hair and stopped worrying about it growing back. For me it was all about my attitude, I just became positive and said it is time to just enjoy who I am. That is why I cut it in the first place. I had to remember why I did it. For me it was all about self love and confidence. Once I stopped worrying it has started growing and is soooo very healthy. I'm kind of sad that it will be getting long cause I'm actually enjoying the freedom of just wearing it short and free. I talk to my hair, I tell it "I'm so proud of you" and "you look gorgeous today", sounds crazy but I think like plants it loves me admiring it and it behaves. LOL Another suggestion is keep the wigs off of your head. Enjoy your pretty curls and watch it start to take off. I find that when we stop worrying about an issue and give it to God it takes care of itself. You can do this, don't perm!!

ladybrittain

Back to top Go down

Post by JORIE 27th May 2010, 4:59 pm

Wow Ladybrittain thanks! I loved your reply. I am really starting to just sit back and stop worrying about my hair. Hopefully my hair will pay me back with health and growth.
JORIE
JORIE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down