CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I Want Brown Hair Not Red

+12
ChicagoChica
IndyPie
EllaMomi2002
Free2Be
Kema
R2D2
envizionj
Juices-n-Berries
catcurls
LaToya28
ButterQueen
Beautifulyfe
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I Want Brown Hair Not Red Empty I Want Brown Hair Not Red

Post by Beautifulyfe 25th March 2010, 10:15 pm

I am wondering if their is any special mixture that will give me a brown shade rather than red. Any suggestions/recipes?
Beautifulyfe
Beautifulyfe

Back to top Go down

I Want Brown Hair Not Red Empty Re: I Want Brown Hair Not Red

Post by ButterQueen 25th March 2010, 11:03 pm

hi there!!!
I am sooo glad you asked :-)
After all the talk about acidic mixes and things we put in for dye release (that you really wouldnt think were acidic like yogurt or coconut milk) My gears started turning and I thought..."hmmmm I wonder if I add some sort of choclate to my mix will it achieve dye release" so I set to my kitchen with my henna and decided to mix it with organic dutch cocoa powder (good in my cake why not my henna, lol) so I mixed the henna, cocoa powder, and water, sit it in a warm place overnight and rushed to see the results next day. To my surprise when I put a dab on my hand it left a georgeous brown dot!!!
So now I think "well will it effect the color" so grab my gloves and rush to apply. Waited about 5 hours with a heat cap on my head (not a heated electrical thing just a gold foil looking heat cap wrapped around the edges with saran wrap). Rinsed out and to my surprise it was BROWN! By next day it had deepened to a nice mahogany/chestnut brownish color which is kind of hard to describe but I was so pleased and so happy to share this mix!!
I do not post my own pictures on the web but if you'd like to see the results send me a message I'd love to share them with you [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
If you have any questions about the mix let me know.
Thanks so much,
Sharika
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

http://www.butters-n-bars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 26th March 2010, 1:34 am

That sounds like an interesting mixture BQ. You've definitely piqued my interests. Is the brown darker than your usual color?

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 26th March 2010, 2:52 am

Actually my natural color used to be more reddish auburny probably because I was more exposed to sunlight and chemical, but since I bc'd over 5 years ago and all the color grew out 9I havent colored in 4 years)it's been more of an off black and the color change was clearly a brown. Love It!
You can always message me or email me at beauty4u@butters-n-bars.com
to see the results :-)
Sharika
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by catcurls 26th March 2010, 3:08 pm

LaToya28 wrote:That sounds like an interesting mixture BQ. You've definitely piqued my interests. Is the brown darker than your usual color?

Saw your fotki pics and that's the color I've been trying to get. I've been mixing equal parts of henna with indigo but that's not getting me where I want to go. I'll have to try ur chocolate recipe. Is chocolalate acidic? Please excuse my lack of know how.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
catcurls
catcurls

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 26th March 2010, 3:14 pm

Hi Catcurls,
chocolate is very much acidic which is why it works ;-)
One of the reasons we have to stay away from it when we want to lose weight or sometimes it wreaks havoc on your skin causing breakouts when you have a PMS overhaul, lol. I found that it (even though acidic) is not drying in the mix. It's a very simple mix and it will stretch you henna as well!
have fun [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by catcurls 26th March 2010, 3:35 pm

Thanks ButterQueen!!! Will try it this weekend [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
catcurls
catcurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 27th March 2010, 3:32 am

Butterqueen, where did you get the cocoa powder? I would like to try this in my next henna mix.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 27th March 2010, 9:21 am

Hi Juice-N-Berries!
Actually you can purchase dutch cocoa powder at your local food coop or whole foods market. I havent tried 'natural' cocoa powder (like hersheys cocoa powder, etc) because the dutch processed is less acidic and I thought it would be best to avoid overdrying and it's lighter in color (natural cocoa can be very dark).
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 27th March 2010, 3:56 pm

Thanks BQ. One more question. Sorry. How much cocoa did you use per how much henna? I only need 100g of henna for my hair. How much cocoa should I add?

Also, how does it compare with using cinnamon. I used your spice mix last time. Does the cocoa give a darker or lighter result?

Last edited by Juices-n-Berries on 27th March 2010, 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 27th March 2010, 4:14 pm

ButterQueen, can I also add 25 grams of Amla powder or Brahmi powder to my mix? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I would like to try the dark or extra dark organic Dutch cocoa powder for a darker result. I wonder if Whole Foods carries a similar brand. Here are some final colors of cocoa mixes on cakes and chocolate. Hopefully, they will have the same result on hair.

Dark Brown ...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Extra Dark Brown ...
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 27th March 2010, 6:30 pm

Loving this thread. I can't wait to hear about other people trying cocoa in their mix. Great experiment Butterqueen Smile
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 27th March 2010, 6:57 pm

Hi All!!
Its been soo much fun!
Okay so I mixed 200 grams of Jamila '09 to about 1/2 c dutch cocoa power and enough water to make it the consistency of yogurt.
So if you only need 100 grams of henna then use about 1/3 c of cocoa and you'll probably have some henna left over (dont forget extra henna paste can be frozen so don't toss your leftovers!)
I definietly believe Envizion that the color of the cocoa will effect the color result. The dutch cocoa is lighter and less acidic so if you use a darker chocolate you may want to deep condition for moisture.
It is the same cocoa powder that we bake with.
I am so excited about this, lol, this go round I will be using rajasthani henna to deepen the brown even more I hope [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Juice-n-berries the spice mix really kind of heightens the reds in the hennas, this mix changes the color from reds to brown alltogether. If you'd like to see the results just 'pm' me or shoot me an email!!
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by catcurls 29th March 2010, 12:08 am

I henna'd using coco this weekend. It turned out darker but my hair color usually adjusts darker after 3 days. I'm hoping I did the right combo of the products.
catcurls
catcurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Kema 29th March 2010, 10:53 am

I tried the cocoa powder/ henna mix this weekend. It came out darker than the 1/2 indigo - 1/2 henna mix that I tried two weeks ago. My hairline has quite a bit of gray in it, so the grays ended up a coppery red. Still not the brown that I'm looking for, but it was quite promising. Here's a picture that I just took.

Kema

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 29th March 2010, 12:28 pm

Kema, what was your henna mix ingredients and how long did you leave the mix in your hair? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by Kema 29th March 2010, 12:46 pm

My mix was 100 grams of Yemen henna, 1/2 cup of organic cocoa powder, and water (until it was the desired consistency).

Kema

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 29th March 2010, 12:51 pm

Hi Kema,
Yemeni is going to yield a slightly different color result. If you want a lighter shade(more pronounced medium brown as opposed to a dark brown) I would say go with Jamila '09 or Rajasthani next time.
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by Kema 29th March 2010, 1:34 pm

Thanks Butter Queen, I will try that next time. Do you think it would make the grays less coppery as well?

Kema

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 29th March 2010, 1:42 pm

I have about 5 grays in the front that have actually been completely m.i.a Since i henna'd with this mix, havent spotted them at all (and I scoured lol) so it actually blended the grays instead of highlighting them.
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 10th April 2010, 8:51 pm

I'm about to mix up my Yemen Henna and cocoa powder. Can't wait until tomorrow! I, too, have a lot of gray around my hairline...primarily over my ears. I hope I don't wind up looking like a red panda. LOL I will report back tomorrow, hopefully with blurry pix from the camera on my cell. ;~}
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by EllaMomi2002 10th April 2010, 11:18 pm

Very interesting thread and thanx ButterQueen for the info about the cocoa powder. I have some Jamila Henna that I'm going to mix with some cocoa powder tomorrow. I'll post my results.

This will be my first Henna ever, I'm excited and a wee bit nervous.
EllaMomi2002
EllaMomi2002

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyPie 24th April 2010, 3:40 pm

I'm the opposite, Ladies. I want red hair. Please recommend some henna that produce red on dark brown hair.

Peace and blessings

IndyPie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChicagoChica 27th April 2010, 7:17 pm

I love this thread! I'm going to try the cocoa with my next henna mixture. I don't like the coppery hairs around my face.
ChicagoChica
ChicagoChica

http://mynaturalstate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by xtremelyperfect 27th April 2010, 7:40 pm

I add coffee to my henna mix! It works great. I also follow my henna with an indigo treatment and I get a pretty brownish red color like this:

Cocoa powder sounds good too. Plus it'll help with the smelliness of henna lol. I'm used to it now but the first time I henna-ed I didn't know if I could handle it!
xtremelyperfect
xtremelyperfect

http://fuckyeahnadia.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next