CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Henna hair - love it or hate it?

+8
wygreen
R2D2
swoodward
DvaAuNaturel
NylaCoils
LaToya28
raina
Au naturelle
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Henna hair - love it or hate it? - Page 2 Empty Re: Henna hair - love it or hate it?

Post by R2D2 21st March 2010, 11:59 pm

Most people are okay with proteins - most conditioners have some degree of them as it's so beneficial for hair. Protein helps to strengthen the structure of the hair so that it retains moisture better. Many of the mild protein conditioners will have descriptions like "for breakage" or "damage" to give you an example. High protein conditioners are reconstructors such as Aphogee.

Nylacoils, I once tried banana as a conditioner - never again! It was so hard to get all the little pieces out.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Henna hair - love it or hate it? - Page 2 Empty I love my henna hair!!

Post by wygreen 22nd March 2010, 2:23 pm

I absolutely love my henna hair. I henna every other week and do a quick 20 minute indigo following my all night henna (tip from CN). My hair is so healthy and beautiful. I wasn't a fan of the red henna on me but love it on others. I will have to update my avatar with my hair out to show the results. I followed CN's instructions to a "t" and loved the results (thanks CN). If you are on the fence about doing a henna...it is time to jump!!! You will love it.

Peace...
wygreen
wygreen

Back to top Go down

Henna hair - love it or hate it? - Page 2 Empty Re: Henna hair - love it or hate it?

Post by NylaCoils 22nd March 2010, 2:34 pm

r2d2- use baby food! No problem with picking the bananas out.
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Au naturelle 24th March 2010, 11:19 am

Hey everyone

Just a quick update from me. After clarifying my hair and cowashing a
few times, my hair is returning to normal. I am protein sensitive and
think the henna may have adjusted my curl pattern somewhat.
However, I truly believe that the pros of henna (shine, thickness, hair weight -
it hangs better, and colour) far outweigh the cons, so will
continue to use it every couple of months or so....

BTW - NylaColis, love the new avatar. Looking fierce Surprised)
Au naturelle
Au naturelle

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 24th March 2010, 12:43 pm

@au naturelle- thank you
i love the pros of henna too. Being protein sensitive, just means that when we do henna, we just have to take a few extra steps.
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Henna hair - love it or hate it? - Page 2 Empty henna

Post by suzyQ 24th March 2010, 4:48 pm

what is a protien sensitive?
suzyQ
suzyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 24th March 2010, 5:21 pm

suzy q- protein sensitive- for my hair... means that it cant handle protein when protein is applied to my hair. Protein products by giovanni, also bananas- coconut milk- mayo- eggs and avocados are just a few that will make my hair feel hard and brittle like straw.

Henna is also a protein- so after I apply henna - i have to deep condition for a few days to prevent my hair from feeling like straw.
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyQ 25th March 2010, 2:47 pm

Thanks NYLA COILS! i dont know if im protien sensitive because i alternate protien conditioner with moisture conditioner. but i will check the change in texture after a protien next time.
suzyQ
suzyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Nu* 25th March 2010, 5:03 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE your hair accessory R2D2! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Naturally Nu*
Naturally Nu*

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 25th March 2010, 8:10 pm

@ Naturally Nu, Thank you! It's called an "African Butterfly" comb. I'm finding it good for bunning.

@Nyla coils - Henna isn't strictly a protein. Protein is made up of a chain of amino acid molecules, whereas henna releases tannic acid molecules. It behaves very similar to protein in terms of strengthening hair and leaving a drying effect though, which is probably why your hair is also sensitive to henna but they are not quite the same.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by MsVera 27th March 2010, 7:03 pm

Oh yes!! I love that comb too R2D2....I had to go out and find the website and saved!
MsVera
MsVera

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 1st April 2010, 11:56 am

I hennaed for the first time last week and experienced no ill effects from it. My color has faded a little though. It was more reddish at first, but now it's more of a chestnut (only visible in the sun). I'm going to do another treatment next week.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 1st April 2010, 1:39 pm

LaToya28, your hair color did not fade, but the color oxidized. That is normal with henna. At first your color will be bright, but give it a few days later and it turns darker. If you apply heat on a high setting -- blow drying, hot curling, foil, etc., it speeds up the oxidizing process. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2