CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to Curly Nikki

+5
CocoEuro
BlondeByDesire
sweetdrk1
SheeTacular
Karameldiva1978
9 posters

Go down

New to Curly Nikki Empty New to Curly Nikki

Post by Karameldiva1978 11th March 2010, 1:59 am

Hello Everyone,
I am loving this site and cannot believe I just found it yesterday. A few weeks ago, the realization of the damage that relaxers have done to my 7 y/o daugther's hair set in and I threw in the towel. All the time, money and highly recommended stylists for our area still could not keep her original thickness, or stop the broken pieces at the hairline. So looking at all her younger pictures before relaxer brought me to my knees with what damage my decision had done. But I cannot wallow in self-pity when she is my firstborn and I had no other resources to go to.

So with that being said, baby girl and I are making up for lost time by getting our hair healthy and au naturale! I have the latest short, tapered Rihanna 'do, so I think this transition will be much easier for me at this length. My stylist suggests keeping the tapered portions relaxed and allow the top, sides and a portion of the back grow out to cover the tapered parts. Sounds good to me because I like my hair short and it'll allow me to get used to working with it on a smaller scale.

I am SSSSOOOOO HAPPY to have found you wonderful ladies. I feel like a sponge soaking up all the information by ways of posts, pictures and videos. Thank you and as soon as I learn how to post some pics, I will show you what length I'm working with and styles I wear now.
Karameldiva1978
Karameldiva1978

Back to top Go down

New to Curly Nikki Empty Re: New to Curly Nikki

Post by SheeTacular 11th March 2010, 3:55 am

welcome
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 11th March 2010, 7:16 am

Welcome !!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 11th March 2010, 10:21 am

Welcome and good luck with your and your daughter's natural hair journey.

My personal opinion - is that if you are going to transition I wouldn't keep getting the relaxers - I understand your style is short but you are only hampering the process by continuing to relax the shorter parts. You can gradually cut the relaxed ends on the top as it grows out.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoEuro 11th March 2010, 2:45 pm

Welcome and congrats on making the choice to take the natural journey.

I agree with BlondbyDesire to stop relaxing completely. You don't want to cause any more damage.

FYI..my pre-teen and I recently completed our transition..so it can be done.
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

http://naturalcurlykinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 11th March 2010, 3:25 pm

BlondeByDesire wrote:Welcome and good luck with your and your daughter's natural hair journey.

My personal opinion - is that if you are going to transition I wouldn't keep getting the relaxers - I understand your style is short but you are only hampering the process by continuing to relax the shorter parts. You can gradually cut the relaxed ends on the top as it grows out.

cocoeuro wrote:Welcome and congrats on making the choice to take the natural journey.

I agree with BlondbyDesire to stop relaxing completely. You don't want to cause any more damage.

FYI..my pre-teen and I recently completed our transition..so it can be done.

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will love the support and this site! We are all family here. I agree with the other ladies. Please do not continue to relax your hair. You will do more harm than good...you are transitioning so you do not have to relax anymore. If you are still relaxing certain parts of your hair; when you are done with your transition and you are ready to BC (big chop) majority of your hair will be natural and you may have an uneven area due to the relaxed hair. You will be okay! New to Curly Nikki Icon_biggrin You will learn a great amount of information on this site! Congrats and Good luck! Stay strong!
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 11th March 2010, 4:10 pm

Welcome and I'm glad you made that decision!! Your daughter - and your hair - will definitely thank you for it Smile
bholmes87
bholmes87

http://fotki.com/bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicia 11th March 2010, 6:44 pm

Welcome, my advice is to not continue getting the relaxers. I had a Halle Berry cut and decided to transition back in December 09. So my last relaxer was December 9, I just let it grow and had planned to BC in May or June but got tired of the permed ends and BC'd last weekend. You will only do more harm than good. This site has been a life saver for me, I am still trying to figure out what my hair likes and doesn't like. I know it doesn't like a lot of products so I am learning to not be so heavy handed. But you will learn a lot on this site and everyone is extremely helpful. Enjoy your journey with your daughter.
Alicia
Alicia

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 11th March 2010, 7:12 pm

Welcome....

I know that it is hard not to perm. I had short hair when I began my journey. In fact in 3 months come Sunday the 14th will be 1 year no relaxer. It wasn't really hard, but it did require some patience.

Just cruse around the site you will find information on just about any topic you can think of!!!
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down