CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP!!! Style tips for natural kids.

+6
Notthecoolmom
CocoEuro
labon10
jad928
tiashaunteé
curly_danni
10 posters

Go down

HELP!!! Style tips for natural kids. Empty HELP!!! Style tips for natural kids.

Post by curly_danni 6th November 2009, 4:12 pm

I have a five year old that is just starting to embrace her natural hair. It took a lot time praising her wild locks before she appreciated them as much as I do. I need help with cutesy styles that don't inculde cornrows. Are any of my natural sisters also mommy's? If so how do you tend to your childrens hair? afro
curly_danni
curly_danni

Back to top Go down

HELP!!! Style tips for natural kids. Empty Re: HELP!!! Style tips for natural kids.

Post by tiashaunteé 6th November 2009, 10:39 pm

There is a blog from one of our own: http://beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com/

I don't even have kids yet and I love it, I think the styles are adorable.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

HELP!!! Style tips for natural kids. Empty Re: HELP!!! Style tips for natural kids.

Post by curly_danni 7th November 2009, 12:15 am

Thanks tiashauntee!
curly_danni
curly_danni

Back to top Go down

Post by jad928 7th November 2009, 12:13 pm

I am not really proficient in "styling" my daughters hair. We have 3 hairstyles. One ponytail, two ponytails, and 3 ponytails. But since she does have curly hair I just apply the same protocol to her hair as I do mine. We wash once a week with a sulfate free shampoo, condition her hair and detangle afterward, use a leave in conditioner, we moisturize and braid her hair up everynight (if not it will be a tangled mess) and she sleeps on a satin pillowcase. She likes getting her hair wet in the bath tub so I just co wash with suave since it is wet and the follow up with her leave in. I am not married to any products and because I try to use "all natural" products or I can at least understand most of the ingredients I use on her what I use on my hair
jad928
jad928

Back to top Go down

Post by labon10 7th November 2009, 12:14 pm

right now, my 11 year-old is rocking twists. She then pulls them in a ponytail or wear a headband.

labon10

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoEuro 7th November 2009, 3:03 pm

labon10 wrote:right now, my 11 year-old is rocking twists. She then pulls them in a ponytail or wear a headband.

So does my 11-year old! She is transitioning!
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

http://naturalcurlykinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Notthecoolmom 7th November 2009, 9:41 pm

My best style does include cornrows, but you may want to try flat twists...I cornrowed the back up and around (hard to explain) up like from the nape of the next to the crown and then back down (connecting braids) putting a barrette on the ends and then did two strand twists on the top. She's only 15 months and I was just proud I could get it down during a 30 mins video she was watching.
Notthecoolmom
Notthecoolmom

https://www.youtube.com/user/Notthecoolmom

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 8th November 2009, 10:43 pm

tiashauntee wrote:There is a blog from one of our own: http://beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com/

Thanks for posting the blog! Smile

I hope it gives you some ideas danni!!!
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 8th November 2009, 10:52 pm

NikG20 wrote:
tiashauntee wrote:There is a blog from one of our own: http://beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com/

Thanks for posting the blog! Smile

For some reason I could not remember your screen name. You are so making me want my first child to be a girl. I wish I had some friends with girls (everyone has boys) because I would love to try a lot of the styles you have done so far.

Your blog and daughters are adorable...KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! I think you have little model on your hands.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 8th November 2009, 10:56 pm

tiashauntee wrote:
NikG20 wrote:

Thanks for posting the blog! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

For some reason I could not remember your screen name. You are so making me want my first child to be a girl. I wish I had some friends with girls (everyone has boys) because I would love to try a lot of the styles you have done so far.

Your blog and daughters are adorable...KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! I think you have little model on your hands.

lol Thank you so much!!! I have 1 boy & 1 girl. I wanted another girl but....I'll settle for my son. haha He still doesn't have much hair, lol. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by labon10 9th November 2009, 2:13 pm

I did the braid mohawk on my daughter as well. Her hair isn't as long as your daughter's. Instead of leaving the middle loose, I put twist in and she wore that style for 1 week.

She asked me about teen hairstyles this morning. I guess she feels her hair is too kiddy. These kids today!!!

labon10

Back to top Go down

Post by msqueenie 11th November 2009, 4:12 pm

jad928 wrote:I am not really proficient in "styling" my daughters hair. We have 3 hairstyles. One ponytail, two ponytails, and 3 ponytails. But since she does have curly hair I just apply the same protocol to her hair as I do mine. We wash once a week with a sulfate free shampoo, condition her hair and detangle afterward, use a leave in conditioner, we moisturize and braid her hair up everynight (if not it will be a tangled mess) and she sleeps on a satin pillowcase. She likes getting her hair wet in the bath tub so I just co wash with suave since it is wet and the follow up with her leave in. I am not married to any products and because I try to use "all natural" products or I can at least understand most of the ingredients I use on her what I use on my hair

I completely agree with your last statement. My daughter (18 months old) doesn't have much hair yet but it's definitely curly like her momma's (lol) and therefore, we find that "all natural" products work best on our hair! I'm talking really all-natural (baking soda, bentonite clay, avacados, honey..etc)
msqueenie
msqueenie

Back to top Go down

Post by curly_danni 11th November 2009, 9:31 pm

Ladies thank you so much for the feedback. I did a twist and curl last week and she was happy she could wear her hair down. Now I sent her to her paternal grandmother's house this weekend and she wanted to press it. My baby told her she likes it curly FTW! I will def try those styles on the blog.
curly_danni
curly_danni

Back to top Go down

Post by snappynappy 12th November 2009, 2:59 pm

What do you think would be a good natural/transitioning style for preteens/teenagers ?
snappynappy
snappynappy

Back to top Go down

HELP!!! Style tips for natural kids. Empty Help for Boys with Long hair...

Post by nikcacia3 12th November 2009, 5:48 pm

I would like to know if there are any moms on here that have boys with long hair. My son has A LOT of hair and its that "original" stuff that Kunta Kente had [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ..lol.. he has be rocking cornrows since he was 15 months old, he loves his hair and doesn't want to cut it. However, he is TENDER-HEADED! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I have to close all windows when doing his hair. Any suggestions on what I could use/ do to make it easier on the both of us? I am really close to Dreadlocking his hair cause his "performances" are a bit much now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
nikcacia3
nikcacia3

Back to top Go down

Post by labon10 16th November 2009, 12:53 pm

My hair is course as well. Last wash day, I mixed various oils and left on my hair for 1 hour. Co-washed and followed condition mixed with oils, left on for 2 hours (while I combed my daughter's hair). Afterwards, it was so soft I was able to use my fingers to comb.

Have you tried single braids? A lot of boys seem to be wearing small single braids.

labon10

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 16th November 2009, 12:57 pm

I did two strand twist on my nephew, they look like little locs. He just turned one and they look so cute on him. His mother has been getting a lot of compliments and strangely enough, no one mistakes him for a girl anymore.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down