CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Soooooo I did a mini chop experiment

+4
bholmes87
blondie
A85
SweeTea2011
8 posters

Go down

Soooooo I did a mini chop experiment Empty Soooooo I did a mini chop experiment

Post by SweeTea2011 4th March 2010, 9:34 pm

Hey Ladies!

I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong thread...but hopefully one of you beautiful curly ladies can help me out.

So the other night after washing and detangling I noticed my scissors staring up at me. I proceeded to mini chop some hair around my nape area...I've heard that you'll never know what your curl pattern is until you chop... so I went for it. Well for some reason I don't seem to have a pattern at all...just a little puff. Also, since doing the mini chop that portion of my hair has been extremely dry....I sprayed it with my leave in mixture and it was dry less than 5minutes later....Any suggestions?
SweeTea2011
SweeTea2011

Back to top Go down

Soooooo I did a mini chop experiment Empty Re: Soooooo I did a mini chop experiment

Post by A85 4th March 2010, 11:11 pm

hmm some ppl report experiencing dryness after they big chop...also dry hair tends to be more frizzy than moisturized hair. maybe you can try cowashing then moisturizing and sealing. Sealing def helps to keep moisture in. HTH
A85
A85

Back to top Go down

Soooooo I did a mini chop experiment Empty Re: Soooooo I did a mini chop experiment

Post by blondie 4th March 2010, 11:34 pm

Not everyone has a curl pattern, you'll know as you get to know your hair.

You may be other factors (ex. products) that are causing the dryness. What is your hair care routine and the products you use? Are you transitioning, all natural? For how long? What is the condition of your hair?
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by SweeTea2011 5th March 2010, 4:01 am

Thanks for responding ladies Soooooo I did a mini chop experiment Icon_biggrin

So here's my routine:
cowash 1x/week ...Aussie Moist
Shampoo 1x/week...just started using the Aubrey organix hsr
Deep Condition 1x/week (after shampooing)...AOHSR, EVOO, Grapeseed oil, and honey

I normally oil my scalp every other night if not every night with a mixture of JBCO, rosemary oil, and peppermint oil

After every co-wash or shampoo I seal by oiling my scalp, then applying cantu shea butter leave in, then coconut oil, then shea butter mixed with a few drops of jojoba. (i really don't think my hair likes the cantu leave in...I've been thinking about trying a liquid one)

My hair is a little past shoulder length. I've been transitioning since mid-october. I wore my regular relaxed styles until mid-december...then I did some micros. I took them out mid-feb...so I really haven't been doing my routine very long. My edges are pretty thin...more so on the right side than the left. I have major breakage at the crown...that has always been a slow growing spot for me though. When I was relaxed my hair was cut in layers so it just kind of feathered out in the back and you couldn't tell that I had so much breakage....guess I got accustomed to just styling to hide my damaged areas and then played the...if i can't see you then you can't see me game. Well now that I haven't had a relaxer in almost 5months the hair doesn't just lay down and easily cover up with the longer hair...which is why my 3 previous braid out attempts have been epic fails...it's like everything around the breakage area will be ok but once I get to that damaged spot it's just like a big rough patch that sticks out like a sore thumb.

Sorry for unloading all of my hair woes on y'all like that. It's late...I'm sleepy..and a tad bit frustrated with my hair at the moment. It'll get better though...I'm very excited about my hair journey...I just wish i knew what it wanted already...that way I could just nurture it and stop spending money every time someone mentions a new product....man the PJ'ism hit me with a quickness
SweeTea2011
SweeTea2011

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 5th March 2010, 4:10 am

Well welcome to the forum sweetea!!!! These ladies have a lot of knowledge so this was a good post Smile

As far as the moisture in your hair, it seems like you have a great regimen! The only thing you might be able to tweak is putting in some moisture BEFORE you seal. That way, you have some moisture already in your hair to seal in because just putting oil on your hair might not seal in as much moisture as putting a product (like shea butter) and then putting on oil. I"m still a newbie so I'm not an expert by any means but I'll definitely share my suggestions and successes and failures!

If you have pictures you could upload those too Very Happy
bholmes87
bholmes87

http://fotki.com/bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by SweeTea2011 5th March 2010, 1:08 pm

Hey bholmes!

Thanks for the suggestions Soooooo I did a mini chop experiment Icon_smile I've been trying to figure out the best way to use my raw shea butter....I thought most people used it for sealing which is why I've been using it in the last step of my sealing routine..The next time I wash I'll try out this order and see how it works (JBCO directly on the scalp...raw shea butter...evco mixed with a little jojoba to seal). I'll keep y'all posted on the results.
SweeTea2011
SweeTea2011

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 5th March 2010, 1:48 pm

Welcome to the family...
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by SweeTea2011 5th March 2010, 2:10 pm

Thank you sweetdrk!

You ladies have been such an amazing inspiration. My aunt and grandmother don't really understand my decision to become a curly girl (my mom, sis and bf on the other hand are very supportive)...the only thing that matters though is that I'm happy with my decision...doing what's best for me...and can't wait until I'm 100% natural Soooooo I did a mini chop experiment Icon_biggrin
SweeTea2011
SweeTea2011

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 5th March 2010, 3:22 pm

Hello and welcome...
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by SweeTea2011 6th March 2010, 12:48 am

Thanks for the welcome Blondebydesire! I see you're 13 days post BC...congratulations Soooooo I did a mini chop experiment 678474
SweeTea2011
SweeTea2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 6th March 2010, 1:05 am

Welcome and have fun here!!! Soooooo I did a mini chop experiment Icon_smile
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by SweeTea2011 6th March 2010, 1:23 pm

Thanks intelligentbeauty! Congrats on your BC! Can't wait to see your new pics Soooooo I did a mini chop experiment Icon_biggrin
SweeTea2011
SweeTea2011

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 7th March 2010, 11:43 am

Welcome Sweet Tea!!! I love your name!
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down