CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need henna with SUPER red deposit!

+6
envizionj
lina40
swoodward
jlowman1
hurjurnee
akaprincess00
10 posters

Go down

Need henna with SUPER red deposit! Empty Need henna with SUPER red deposit!

Post by akaprincess00 4th February 2010, 6:39 pm

I'm looking for one that offers a great red deposit. I bought my Indian grocer out of his entire stock a few months ago. Now I'm shopping the internet. Is Henna from Yemen the correct one? Any experience with any other one?
akaprincess00
akaprincess00

Back to top Go down

Need henna with SUPER red deposit! Empty Re: Need henna with SUPER red deposit!

Post by hurjurnee 4th February 2010, 8:17 pm

I bought some Jamila, which was from Pakistan, on mehandi.com. It gave me wonderful red deposit! It was the Punjabi Prime. I'll post pics this weekend.

HTH! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hurjurnee
hurjurnee
hurjurnee

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 4th February 2010, 8:50 pm

I agree with @hurjurnee, Jamila gives off a great red color!
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by akaprincess00 4th February 2010, 9:08 pm

Thanks ladies!
akaprincess00
akaprincess00

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 20th February 2010, 3:38 am

I bought the Yemen BAQ henna from Mehandi.com and got a deep red shade. I used brewed black tea and the juice of 1 lemon. I mixed and let it sit for about 14 hours and kept it in my hair for 6 hours. Beautiful color. Make sure you moisturize!!! Also, my color really settled after the second application. The ladies who blog weren't kidding when they said you don't get the full color until the second application. I spaced mine two weeks apart. Good luck. And moisturize.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by lina40 27th February 2010, 3:57 am

Jamila for bright red

Yemen and Rajasthani for deeper cherry reds Smile

dont use too much lemon/lime/orange/grape juice 1oz or less is totally fine -- doesnt take much acid to release in 100g of paste.

happy henna-ing!
lina40
lina40

Back to top Go down

Post by lina40 27th February 2010, 3:58 am

oh and you can SOUP- up your REDs with

hibiscus powder
annatto powder
paprika powder
lina40
lina40

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 27th February 2010, 1:46 pm

lina40 wrote:Jamila for bright red

Yemen and Rajasthani for deeper cherry reds Smile

dont use too much lemon/lime/orange/grape juice 1oz or less is totally fine -- doesnt take much acid to release in 100g of paste.

happy henna-ing!
Lina40, I hennaed for the first time 3 weeks ago. Where do you purchase your henna? Do you have any gray on your head, and what brand(s) do you use? If so, have you been successful with incorporating the hibiscus with the henna to get a Deep Burgundy/Cherry Cola color? I was also considering Auburn/Mahogany. What colors have you achieved with your henna mixes on your hair? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thank you in advance.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by lina40 27th February 2010, 4:28 pm

I have an Indian friend that gets me henna from Chennai and Sojat, but My Jamila i plan to get from Sharika at butters-n-bars -- her stuff is FRESH FRESH!

I have had grey hairs since I was in the 7th grade, and now I have a few more popping up - oy! I use Jamila, Rajasthani mainly and I soup up my reds with Paprika, cardamom, and hibiscus powders. THis combo has been working for me, I add 1oz fresh lemon juice to this paste and it works well. You can always omit the additives to darken the henna - the more you use henna, the deeper /darker the red will stain.
you can check out the hennaME site on www.butters-n-bars.com that was the reddest I was able to get my hair using henna every 2 wks for about 3 months straight -- Jamila and paprika + red zinger tea from celestial seasonings.

Hope that was helpful!

Blessings,

Lina
lina40
lina40

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 27th February 2010, 5:54 pm

Lina40, are you referring to this photo -- http://www.butters-n-bars.com/images/hennapic4.jpg[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Look how thick and lovely your hair is in that
photo. Was your hair always that thick? How did you get the burgundy/red highlights to stand out more in only certain
areas of your hair?

I am a little cautious on adding powders to henna mixes, since I have read on other boards that the powders sometimes weaken the henna stains. Maybe the stain would weaken more if we washed out hair every day. I don't want to henna every 2 weeks because it is somewhat time consuming, but I have noticed that although it's only been 2 weeks since I hennaed, I have gray hairs shooting out my roots and will have to henna again very soon. I thought the gray hairs would come in with the henna attached to them, but that did not happen. Maybe next time, I should leave the henna on overnight for better results.
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by lina40 28th February 2010, 12:44 am

envizionj wrote:Lina40, are you referring to this photo -- http://www.butters-n-bars.com/images/hennapic4.jpg[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

* Yes thats my big ole noggin! I actually had just done a henna and yogurt treatment the night before, air dried in big twists, and then blowdried on low heat.

Look how thick and lovely your hair is in
that
photo. Was your hair always that thick? How did you get the
burgundy/red highlights to stand out more in only certain
areas of
your hair?

My hair was not as thick as a permie, but had really thickened up really with wearing box braids and monthly henna use. the strips from the front and on the tips are really strongly highlighted because i had old box color on the tips and a few old Aveda highlights on strips of hair in the front .

I am a little cautious on adding powders to henna mixes, since I have read on other boards that the powders sometimes weaken the henna stains. Maybe the stain would weaken more if we washed out hair every day. I don't want to henna every 2 weeks because it is somewhat time consuming, but I have noticed that although it's only been 2 weeks since I hennaed, I have gray hairs shooting out my roots and will have to henna again very soon. I thought the gray hairs would come in with the henna attached to them, but that did not happen. Maybe next time, I should leave the henna on overnight for better results.

I definitely saw more and more henna stain after 6-8 hours. get a black turbie towel if you can so you can wear the henna overnite without fear of messing up pillows and sheets. sometimes i put a red bath towel on the pillow just for extra assurance.

These powders that I use have been specifically recommended to boost the staining effect of henna -- you can check out Fia's mixes on Mehandi.com.. I have also been henna-ing almost the same recipe since 2006 and I can see a difference with and without paprika.. usually I dont add a thing with Jamila -- its that GOOD! But with the Yemen and Rajasthani, Egyptian, Morrocan, etc. I add paprika and it really does work for me, but not saying it will give you the same results...
Blessings!

I hope that was helpful! I just looove reddish hair -- i had the perfect shade of #33 when I henna'd then!

Lina40
lina40
lina40

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 28th February 2010, 9:43 pm

Hi Lina40, thanks for getting back to me. I will try the Jamila 2009 to get the burgundy color. I searched for Fia's Mixes, but did not find her on the page http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/index.html [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I did find this color http://www.hennaforhair.com/forum/index.php?module=phpwsbb&PHPWSBB_MAN_OP=view&PHPWS_MAN_ITEMS[]=9052 but was not sure that was the color you described above.

Last edited by envizionj on 6th March 2010, 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilqis 6th March 2010, 3:25 am

wow lina40, your hair looks really pretty. i use reshma and the color comes out really pretty color. i also just got some henna from senegal that stains a very dark red almost black color. my friend used some and im excited to try it out in about 2 weeks God willing. Happy henna'ing. Also, just wondering how everyone moisturizes after henna. its been hard for me to get my hair soft-feeling lately. im trying out a new mix with coconut oil inside that i hope makes a difference.
peace

Bilqis

Back to top Go down

Post by lollipop33 8th February 2011, 1:10 am

Lina40 i saw the picture where your hair turned out really red, very pretty...was your hair black prior to using the mix..if so how many times did you have to use your mix before it became that red
lollipop33
lollipop33

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 8th February 2011, 1:26 am

Fia's mixes are here . I use her Smooth Gelled Henna mix.Fia's Mixes
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 9th February 2011, 11:21 am

jlowman1 wrote:I agree with @hurjurnee, Jamila gives off a great red color!

Is your color from the henna?? If so its absolutely gorgeous.. Thats the color Im looking for. How often do you henna???And what kind do you use?? Ive done it twice before and loved it, but the color was only reallyvisible in the sunlight...
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down