CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Instyler Rotating Iron

+12
LuvMeLuvMyFro
aprilj90
Juices-n-Berries
Dricka
NaturallyLovely
PaganWifey
jerseygirl
Miss_Brandi
authenticbeauty
hayylee
ElleX
Lena_Jolie
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Instyler Rotating Iron Empty Instyler Rotating Iron

Post by Lena_Jolie 24th January 2010, 1:20 am

Hey ladies!

I know there are a few of us naturals out there who like to rock their hair straight sometimes, usually by blow-outs, roller-sets, presses, etc. But I was wondering, have any of you tried or been tempted to try that Instyler thingy? I have been wanting to try this thing forever (so I don't have to go to a professional for my straightening days) but I have a feeling it's not all what it's cracked up to be.

I don't straighten often but I want to try to change things up every now and then as opposed to every 8 months (I only straightened Apr and Dec 09, that was new for me lol)

It looks like it works on the commercial (girl had some thick hair!) and on the in-studio demonstrations but does it really work?
Have any of you natural chicas tried it out? If so what were your experiences like?

I'm waiting for this tutorial vid I found on youtube to load in the meantime:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkwT-FdrJRE
Lena_Jolie
Lena_Jolie

http://angel-jolie-chronicles.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Instyler Rotating Iron Empty Re: Instyler Rotating Iron

Post by ElleX 24th January 2010, 7:55 pm

I go to the salon to get my hair flat ironed but I stumbled upon this blog and the lady uses the Maxiglide. (I know you asked about the Instyler but I think this may be similar.)

http://thehairofdlewis.blogspot.com/search/label/maxiglided hair
ElleX
ElleX

Back to top Go down

Post by Lena_Jolie 25th January 2010, 10:16 am

Wow lol the Maxiglide looks like a super advanced version of the Instyler. Minus the rotating iron part. I'm going to weigh my options and see which one my be more useful to me and actually get results I want
Lena_Jolie
Lena_Jolie

Back to top Go down

Post by hayylee 25th January 2010, 12:28 pm

I've used an instyler before and it does get your hair straight, it's just hard to get the roots straight, but overall it's a good flat iron.
hayylee
hayylee

Back to top Go down

Post by authenticbeauty 25th January 2010, 1:26 pm

My sister, who also has curly hair, uses the instyler and it gets her hair straight and shiny. But like hayylee said it's hard to get to her roots. She also has had two maxiglides. They were wonderful but stopped working after about six months. I don't mean they no longer straightened her hair but just wouldn't come on at all.
authenticbeauty
authenticbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lena_Jolie 26th January 2010, 11:00 am

authenticbeauty wrote:My sister, who also has curly hair, uses the instyler and it gets her hair straight and shiny. But like hayylee said it's hard to get to her roots. She also has had two maxiglides. They were wonderful but stopped working after about six months. I don't mean they no longer straightened her hair but just wouldn't come on at all.

I read that on another forum (I think lhcf) and on the blog that ElleX posting the link from that the maxiglide stopped working after a while. I sooo hate to hear that lol all that money and it works perfect for a while....and then stops. How much did your sister use her gliders? The lady in the blog only used hers about 3 times a year out of 2 years of having it and it stopped working. I forgot how much the other lady used hers.

Does anybody know if they sell the Maxigliders in stores anywhere? I know they just started selling the Instyler at Target and they have the Maxigliders for sale online only at Target.
Lena_Jolie
Lena_Jolie

Back to top Go down

Post by authenticbeauty 27th January 2010, 2:46 am

She probably used it 10 to 20 times before it stopped working. She ordered hers from hsn's website because you get a better price. She always says she'd get another one if it would last longer than six months.
authenticbeauty
authenticbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss_Brandi 27th January 2010, 3:12 am

I've been wondering about the instyler myself. I don't really like ordering from tv. But I recently saw Bed Bath and Beyond finally got them...if you have one near your city. They carry a lot of the seen-on-tv stuff. I'm still not in the mood to straighten. But when I do I might try it if it is still being carried in the store.
Miss_Brandi
Miss_Brandi

Back to top Go down

Post by Lena_Jolie 27th January 2010, 10:34 am

Yea, I'm definitely not keen on ordering from tv either. I always look everything up on ebay or amazon first if I know they don't have it in stores. I might try the miniglide first so I can see whats its like. Then I might upgrade to the maxi. I keep seeing too many horror stories about the In-Styler blowing apart and stuff so I may wait on that one lol

Last edited by Lena_Jolie on 27th January 2010, 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wasn't done typing lol)
Lena_Jolie
Lena_Jolie

Back to top Go down

Post by jerseygirl 1st February 2010, 12:12 am

I have both the Maxiglide and the Instyler:

The Maxiglide is great and I can't live without! I have been using for 6 yrs on my 11 yrs old daughters' and my natural hair. It make her 3c hair totally straight and I have been asked what relaxer I use to keep her hair straight. The Maxiglide has two attachments, one with teeth that combs the hair while it straightens each strand of hair and the other attachment is just a flat plate for touch ups. It works with heat and steam to moisturize each strand when you push the button on the handle (temp. control too). I also have the small Maxiglide for the edges and touch ups. I got all of mine from HSN.com. They sell both at a great price ($80).

I have the Instyler and I don't care for it at all! It works well for a styling iron but you need to flat iron your hair with a good flat iron first than use the Instyler for the rest to get that flip or curl you desirer. It was a waste of money and too much work! It's good on relaxed hair but not for natural hair. You will not get it straight alone with just this iron, if you are a 3c to 4B hair.

Instyler for Sale, I only used it twice please contact me, if you are interested.

Get yourself a Maxiglide and forget about the Instyler!

jerseygirl
jerseygirl
jerseygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Lena_Jolie 1st February 2010, 10:51 am

Thanx jerseygirl!!!!

It seems the Maxiglide wins by majority vote. I looked at that video again and the comments with it and it turns out the girl's hair was relaxed. So....yea lol that would explain why the Instyler worked so well for her.

Which size have you Maxiglider's used? The MP or XP? Doing research on it I found posts on lhcf.com saying that the MP does a better job than the XP although the XP has bigger plates. I would think that for myself I would need the bigger plates b/c henna has made my hair significantly thicker (I have 4a/4b, but amped b/c of the treatments)....like cant touch my scalp anymore type thicker lol If I don't get the XP I figure I would probably just have to be even more mindful of the sizes that I section my hair off in
Lena_Jolie
Lena_Jolie

Back to top Go down

Post by jerseygirl 2nd February 2010, 8:17 pm

I have both Maxiglide's. When it first came out, it was only one size. I do prefer the smaller one because I have small hands. Honestly it doesn't makes a difference. Please handle it with care, they do break very easy and use freash water with every use and don't leave water in the chamber when not in use. I never had a problem with mine because of these rules! Never let anyone borrow yours! Let them get their own because if the break it, 1. they won't tell you and you would find out too late 2. They wont give it back, 3. It cost too much to replace. LOL!

You use it just like a flat iron, small sections of hair and and pass the iron over the hair twice, one with steam and one without. Press for steam one time only and 3 inches away fron the scalp and slightly with a little pressure (squeese it shut) and pull it down to the ends of the hair. If you wrap the ends of the hair around the iron you will end up with a curl or a bump under.

I love this iron for styling my daughter's (APL, natural, 3c) hair. I use it every 2 weeks on freshly washed clean hair only. I let her hair air dry and then I use my Maxiglide to straighten and curly her hair. That's it!

Enjoy! jerseygirl
jerseygirl
jerseygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 2nd February 2010, 9:13 pm

I have 4a/4b hair.....I'm intrigued.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by jerseygirl 4th February 2010, 10:11 pm

PaganWifey the Instyler won't work on your texturier but the Maxiglide will glide through like fish to water! Check it out!
jerseygirl
jerseygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyLovely 8th February 2010, 4:19 am

Lena_Jolie wrote:Hey ladies!

I know there are a few of us naturals out there who like to rock their hair straight sometimes, usually by blow-outs, roller-sets, presses, etc. But I was wondering, have any of you tried or been tempted to try that Instyler thingy? I have been wanting to try this thing forever (so I don't have to go to a professional for my straightening days) but I have a feeling it's not all what it's cracked up to be.

I don't straighten often but I want to try to change things up every now and then as opposed to every 8 months (I only straightened Apr and Dec 09, that was new for me lol)

It looks like it works on the commercial (girl had some thick hair!) and on the in-studio demonstrations but does it really work?
Have any of you natural chicas tried it out? If so what were your experiences like?

I'm waiting for this tutorial vid I found on youtube to load in the meantime:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkwT-FdrJRE[/quote[/url" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">]

I've never used the Instyler personally but here is a video of a girl in YouTube (Ledra) who uses the Instyler and her hair is layed...check it out...

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg6xsRoZIYc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg6xsRoZIYc
NaturallyLovely
NaturallyLovely

https://www.youtube.com/LovelyTrueRed

Back to top Go down

Post by Lena_Jolie 11th February 2010, 10:53 am

I got my Maxiglide kit!! lol It turned out pretty good. My hair doesn't feel damaged like when I would just use a regular flat-iron (maybe my technique was off on those days or my hair was damaged....dunno).

Like, I had good runs with washing and flat-ironing my hair myself but I dunno what I was doing different on those good trials. Well this teeth-bearing tool was fun and I like it. Steam feature and all.

I have before and after pics on my blog and commentary/review of my experience; I'm gonna put the rest of the before pics up later

Enjoy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Lena_Jolie
Lena_Jolie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dricka 11th February 2010, 9:03 pm

I tried the InStyler or my cousin's hair and as other people said... its a styler and not a straightener. It did get her hair shiny but getting her roots was impossible. I did not try it on my hair because I felt like I would burn myself up trying to get my roots.

Y'all got me interested in this Maxiglide. I had never heard of it.
Dricka
Dricka

Back to top Go down

Post by jerseygirl 19th February 2010, 12:16 am

Lena Jolie, I hope you are happy with your Maxiglide as I am.

Enjoy!

jerseygirl
jerseygirl
jerseygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 20th February 2010, 4:19 am

Lena_Jolie wrote:Thanx jerseygirl!!!!

It seems the Maxiglide wins by majority vote. I looked at that video again and the comments with it and it turns out the girl's hair was relaxed. So....yea lol that would explain why the Instyler worked so well for her.

Which size have you Maxiglider's used? The MP or XP? Doing research on it I found posts on lhcf.com saying that the MP does a better job than the XP although the XP has bigger plates. I would think that for myself I would need the bigger plates b/c henna has made my hair significantly thicker (I have 4a/4b, but amped b/c of the treatments)....like cant touch my scalp anymore type thicker lol If I don't get the XP I figure I would probably just have to be even more mindful of the sizes that I section my hair off in

Henna made your hair thicker? I thought it decreased bulk and some people even report that it loosens their curl pattern. You're the first person I've heard of that said the complete opposite. Please do explain...
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilj90 21st February 2010, 2:27 pm

I got the instyler as a gift and was very skeptical. (I don't think I used it till about 4 months after I got it lol)

But after I used it, its all I ever want to use now. It doesn't burn my hair like my other flat irons have, I was pretty impressed.
aprilj90
aprilj90

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvMeLuvMyFro 28th December 2010, 5:17 pm

I used the Instyler for the first time on Sunday and I loved the results! I used on my natural friend's hair and it worked perfectly for me. I first colored her hair (she wanted to get rid of her blonde highlights) to a chocolate brown, deep conditioned using Redkens color therapy treatment, blow-dried her using a paddle brush, and then used the Instyler. Her hair is soft, her roots straight, and her hair has body and movement. I am not into they whole "hair type" thing but she is bi-racial (Cuban and Black), her hair is SUPER curly, THICK, and very RESISTANT but, overall I was satisfied and she was too. I wanted to see how it would perform on my hair so I plan on trying it tonight.
LuvMeLuvMyFro
LuvMeLuvMyFro

http://www.designsavvysalon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyCee 28th December 2010, 6:25 pm

Now for the Maxiglide, does the shampoo and other products have some type of reversion resistance? I have a 16 year old who I don't want to relax but this might work???? She does play basketball though.
MissyCee
MissyCee

Back to top Go down

Post by summerbreeze76 29th December 2010, 12:02 am

Ive been looking up the Maxiglide. Im curious why on their site it is much cheaper that other sites like amazon, hsn. Am i looking at the right iron?
summerbreeze76
summerbreeze76

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvMeLuvMyFro 29th December 2010, 11:32 am

Here are the before and after pics of my Instyler Experience:

Length Check
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Blow-out

So straight

The roots (so shiny)

Shocked I had to give myself a haircut last night because I haven't trimmed my ends since my last big chop which was over a year ago.
LuvMeLuvMyFro
LuvMeLuvMyFro

http://www.designsavvysalon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PrincessRN 29th December 2010, 2:04 pm

^^^Wow, your Instyler results are great!!! I always wanted one when I was relaxed. Once I transitioned and am now natural I just figured that the Instyler was no match for my natural 3C/4A hair. I may have to look at it again. You had fabulous results.
PrincessRN
PrincessRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next