CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flat Iron

+16
abovealltherest
fanmnatirel
libs2001
jessimae
Amich21
alove15
khalii310
jac.attack
SuperBadd
JazLani
dyamonds10
moonchild
Pinkpearls
laleepop14
SoFlyy
Miz B
20 posters

Go down

Flat Iron Empty Flat Iron

Post by Miz B 23rd June 2010, 4:54 pm

I know alot of curlies don't straighten their hair but for the ones that do, who has the best flat iron on the market right now?? Back in the day it use to be the Chi.
Miz B
Miz B

Back to top Go down

Flat Iron Empty Re: Flat Iron

Post by SoFlyy 24th June 2010, 11:18 pm

I have the babyliss nano titanium plate and its great. Rumors say chi's are great but they break easilly. Look at reviews on both
SoFlyy
SoFlyy

Back to top Go down

Post by Miz B 25th June 2010, 12:38 am

thanks soflyy! i'll check it out!
Miz B
Miz B

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 25th June 2010, 12:55 pm

I have the Sedu and have only used it about twice since I bought it, but it gets my hair silky silky smooth and straight.
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkpearls 30th June 2010, 12:23 am

I've used the Chi, but it always seems to snag my hair. So, after tons of research, I purchased the Hana Elite. I received the package today...iron with free pad and case. They also included a few additional goodies.
Pinkpearls
Pinkpearls

Back to top Go down

Post by moonchild 30th June 2010, 11:13 am

What setting do you all use your flat irons on (low, medium, high)? I can't figure out if it's worse to use it on medium to high and only go over my hair once or on low and have to do it a couple of times...

moonchild

Back to top Go down

Post by dyamonds10 30th June 2010, 12:05 pm

I have a babybliss pro and its blah!

I have the hot n silky from sally's...it is by silk elements and it is pretty good for a cheap iron....I set it on 340-370 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] yep and no heat damage....I only do one pass and I use a GOODY FLATIRON COMB THINGY ...they have them in walmart for $7...its better than using a small comb for chasing the flatiron...So you place it on the piece of hair to flat iron...bring it down some and then put the flat iron at the root...chase it....it allows you to have tension while flatironing which gives you straighter hair, less ssk, and less frizz [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

https://i.servimg.com/u/f34/15/34/80/49/goodyc11.jpg

edit: I use sabino moisture block for my serum so I will not end up with a [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] after a day or so

I straighten 2x a month as well...while relaxed, natural, texlaxed and now transitioning

Last edited by dyamonds10 on 30th June 2010, 1:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
dyamonds10
dyamonds10

http://www.simplylove-leigh.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JazLani 30th June 2010, 1:17 pm

I have the Chi and the Babyliss nano titanium. My hair definitely stays straighter for longer with the titanium, it leaves my hair so soft and smooth and I only go over my hair once. I use it on 375 or 410 and I haven't had any heat damage, but then again I've also only straightened like three times with it in the seven months that I've had it. HTH.
JazLani
JazLani

http://public.fotki.com/JazLani

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperBadd 6th July 2010, 10:57 am

I use a HAI flat iron which I can truly say gets the job done.

SuperBadd

Back to top Go down

Post by jac.attack 6th July 2010, 8:22 pm

I have the Chi. I have had it for about 3 years. I used to use it everyday and my mom also. Never had a problem with it. When I straighten my hair now that I'm fully natural it still gets my hair super straight.

It was definitely worth it for me.

jac.attack

Back to top Go down

Post by khalii310 12th July 2010, 6:14 pm

i feel sooo out of the circle because i use the conair infinty.. Tourmaline Ceramic 1" to be exact [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

it works like a dream. i use it on low on my own hair n like the second setting (i cant think of wat degree it was..) on my nappy headed lil sis.
n im not sure how yall mean by chaser.. i use a brush 2 pull the hair straight before the flatiron. so wouldnt that mean the flatiron is chasing the brush?
but um i digress... i use a brush as i go..
but really dont need it, do it out of habit.
i got it on sale from walmart for bout 35 bucks. i see it at CVS for bout 47 so yea its a cdecent price for a flation that has lasted pretty heavy use for the past... 5 years. and unlike mmost "ceramic" flatiorns, it has yet to lose the ceramic ion magic inside
khalii310
khalii310

Back to top Go down

Post by alove15 3rd October 2010, 3:09 pm

I have a sedu revolution and it works well. It changes color based on temp, has atemp control, and has tourmaline plates.
alove15
alove15

Back to top Go down

Post by Amich21 7th October 2010, 12:25 am

I have naturally curly/wavy hair. For about 3 years a used a chi flat iron on a regular basis. About 4 months ago I stopped using the Chi and I got an Amika instead because I was told it was better for my hair because it was completely ceramic. I got great results with both flat irons but the Amika was a lot easier and quicker at getting my hair straightened. After using the Amika for two months I noticed my hair was no longer curling up as it had my entire life (including while using the Chi) after washing it. The longest I've gone without using the Amika is a week. I've tried new shampoos and even a couple protein treatments. My hair looks horrible when I just wash it, just flat and few waves, so I can't wear my natural curls as I had done in the past, and I'm stuck straightening it even when I don't want it straightened. I want my curls back. What do I do?
Amich21
Amich21

Back to top Go down

Post by jessimae 7th October 2010, 10:44 pm

Amich21 wrote:I have naturally curly/wavy hair. For about 3 years a used a chi flat iron on a regular basis. About 4 months ago I stopped using the Chi and I got an Amika instead because I was told it was better for my hair because it was completely ceramic. I got great results with both flat irons but the Amika was a lot easier and quicker at getting my hair straightened. After using the Amika for two months I noticed my hair was no longer curling up as it had my entire life (including while using the Chi) after washing it. The longest I've gone without using the Amika is a week. I've tried new shampoos and even a couple protein treatments. My hair looks horrible when I just wash it, just flat and few waves, so I can't wear my natural curls as I had done in the past, and I'm stuck straightening it even when I don't want it straightened. I want my curls back. What do I do?

hi it really sounds like you have heat damage Sad form what ive heard you should stop using heat all together! instead you can do curly nikki twist n curls, bantu knots braids outs etc. to fake texture. and you should start deep conditioning every week and using protein treatments until your curl pattern comes back . if you continue to use heat you may permanently damage your hair and will have to cut the straight off.
jessimae
jessimae

https://www.youtube.com/user/jesssimae

Back to top Go down

Post by libs2001 7th October 2010, 11:09 pm

Wow Amich, jessimae is correct...sounds like you have heat damage. Lots of people suggested staying away from the flat irons and doing lots of DCs and protein treatments before you start cutting. I have heat damage and I slowly cut it off by trimming a few inches every 3 months. Now I only have a few inches left.

I'm not sure if your curls will go back to normal, but maybe you should try roller setting instead of using the flat iron whenever you want straight hair. The roller setting will allow you to stretch your hair without direct heat.

HTH

libs2001

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 7th October 2010, 11:58 pm

@MizB: First off, your is freaking fabulous...
My really good friend has 4b hair and swears by the CHI. She said she got it on ebay for 70$ compared to 150$ at ULTA...
fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8th October 2010, 12:28 am

wuz using flat irons, but not anymore and i don't plan on it

Back to top Go down

Post by abovealltherest 8th October 2010, 12:40 am

I love my generic flat iron from Sally's. It works great and I have used it for many years.
abovealltherest
abovealltherest

http://www.fotki.com/abovealltherest

Back to top Go down

Post by crvng4mr 8th October 2010, 11:17 am

I got the FHI for my daughter last Christmas and we both love it. It has temp settings so you can control the heat and only one pass to get straight with no heat damage, of course using a heat protectant (hotsauce by FHI). It usually last me 2 weeks when I do flat iron. I haven't since May but I probably will within 2 weeks.
crvng4mr
crvng4mr

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimmee 29th November 2010, 9:06 pm

I am kinda late on this...but I have a GHD. It auto adjusts to the density of my hair and I have never had a burn issue - with chemically straightened or natural hair. Its a bit expensive, but I think it was well worth the investment. Beyond the flat iron, you should probably make sure to use some sort of heat protectant before you flat iron and avoid doing it often. If I flat iron, I only do it once...when its gone, its gone and I don't do it again for a while.
Kimmee
Kimmee

Back to top Go down

Post by dyamonds10 1st December 2010, 8:22 pm

crvng4mr wrote:I got the FHI for my daughter last Christmas and we both love it. It has temp settings so you can control the heat and only one pass to get straight with no heat damage, of course using a heat protectant (hotsauce by FHI). It usually last me 2 weeks when I do flat iron. I haven't since May but I probably will within 2 weeks.

I really want a FHI runway or platform!
dyamonds10
dyamonds10

http://www.simplylove-leigh.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Umph 1st December 2010, 8:47 pm

I'm considering the Sedu Black Revolution Tourmaline Ionic Styling Iron w/ Mini Iron for $159.95 on
Ulta site. This iron comes with 2 yr warranty. Right now Ultais offering 20% discount on personal care items.
Umph
Umph

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 1st December 2010, 9:19 pm

I purchased my flat iron based on this review. I got the cheap one. LOL!!

http://www.confessionsofablogvixen.com/2010/10/splurge-or-save-flat-iron.html

I havent used it yet (rain in the forecast) but when I do, I will report back.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Umph 17th December 2010, 3:50 pm

folica.com is offering 3 days to Christmas sale- I ordered the Sedu 1.5" originally priced @ $125 for $75
Umph
Umph

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down