CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SisterBoyd

+29
cyclingchick
CrissyQ
WhosThatRedHead
blondie
poeticlyspkng
GodsNaturalBeauti
curlygirlinastraightworld
MellowOne
LaToya28
NubieNatty
bholmes87
TerraD
LuvBnNatural
Juices-n-Berries
HumanNature
KinkyNappyHappy
MahoganyCurls
Keisha
ChrsLvsBks
TheRYL1
sweetdrk1
BlondeByDesire
NylaCoils
savvybrown
MsJay1121
Lynnieluve
Intelligentbeauty
SheeTacular
SisterBoyd
33 posters

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next

Go down

SisterBoyd Empty SisterBoyd

Post by SisterBoyd 22nd January 2010, 9:56 pm

This coming March will mark 2 years of being natural and heat free. The only heat that I've used on my hair has been on an aphrogee and yes I was scared then ha ha ha!

My curls have come a very long way...

I was a faithful presser and I had a very close friendship with my hairstylist
SisterBoyd 03-16-10

But I could do my own hair and did it very well...
SisterBoyd After_10

However, she did do her thing
SisterBoyd What_d10

...and with all of that heat I tore up my curls...
SisterBoyd The_be11
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

SisterBoyd Empty Re: SisterBoyd

Post by SheeTacular 22nd January 2010, 10:02 pm

Welcome sister boyd. Congratulations
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 22nd January 2010, 10:06 pm

I started my natural journey not by choice, but because I had no other choice. I started taking care of myself by eating better and working out. I was able to make great progress for about a year and half. Going into the 2nd year my body changed and I started sweating like crazy, which wasn't good for a press. I would literally sweat in my entire head. My hair would be dripping wet. And I couldn't have a messy wrap...not me!

So I started researching the 'wet look' and crossed over to the natural side. I secretly always like the big, wild look. I was an undercover lover of the girls that had the big, free hair, but would never admit it openly. So it was no wonder when I was doing my research I would always be fansinated by the natural sisters with the big, fluffy, beautiful girls.

Little by little I bought a few products. I had to learn my hair and understand that I was transitioning from heat damage instead of relaxer. I had the most horrible straight pieces. But because of my hair issues and my self-esteem being tied to my hair doing a BC was out of the question. So I walked around with straight pieces for about a year.

This was Carol's Daughter Hair milk...it didn't work
SisterBoyd 04240810
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 22nd January 2010, 10:11 pm

Then, I discovered KCCC. It was my staple for a long time. I had to play with the amounts. I finally stopped using the Knot Today and replaced it with a mixture of glycerin and aloe.

SisterBoyd 6-22-011

SisterBoyd 7-6-0810

SisterBoyd Kinky-10

As you can see there were a lot of straight pieces, but my hair was healthy. I used to have really bad dandruff - no more. My ends would get trimmed regularly and I cowashed like crazy. And I loved my KCCC because my hair would last a whole week without having issues with dryness.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 22nd January 2010, 10:22 pm

I tried a few other products in the beginning...

Mixed Chicks...I so wanted this to be an afro Wink
SisterBoyd Big_ha10

Then, I discovered Curls Whipped Cream. I love this stuff!
SisterBoyd Imag0010

I started using the Curls Whipped Cream shortly after I had what was supposed to be my BC. I went to my son's barber who is a mixed woman. I thought she would be familiar with my hair texture and know how to cut it...WRONG!!!! Half way through the cut she got scared and stopped cutting! I gave her a guide of what I wanted and she said my hair was too long for her to cut it all off. So I walked out with extremely uneven hair and a bunch of straight pieces.

Now I was really frustrated! Eventually, I ended up cutting most of the straight pieces myself, making my hair even more uneven. However, I won't complain because now I can see my curls. I've waited so long that now I'm scared to get my hair shaped; which I need badly. I have a really short uneven patch in the front, top of my hair. The right back is very long while the left side is about 2-3 inches shorter. Some how I get it to look ok. I've trimmed it a few times myself. The last time I trimmed my ends was about a month ago because I felt I needed to handle my ends.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 22nd January 2010, 10:30 pm

Wow, what a journey. Well welcome and have fun here SisterBoyd Icon_smile
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 22nd January 2010, 10:33 pm

My second year of naturalness was a lot more productive. I discovered the products that work the best for me. KCCC is still a favorite, but not a staple anymore. Curls Whipped Cream moved from being a staple to what I used on my edges and on my twists until I ran out and I haven't purchased anymore.

I've been a hardcore fan of the Conditioner Only Method. Tresseme, Organix Shea Butter or Coconut Milk, Herbal Essence Hello Hydration, or Giovanni Smooth as Silk or 50/50 are my staples. I use my mixture of glycerin and aloe underneath.

This past summer I had a serious issue with tangles and knots so I started doing my hair more than once a week. I shed a lot. For the shedding I use a garlic water mixture that seems to help along with detangling more often.

Now I have to work on those twists. I've made progress, but they aren't perfected. And I can't wear them out as I look a hot mess. This helped me to discover hats and scarves.

I love to prepoo. I preproo before every shampoo, which is once a month. And I have started prepooing sometimes before my normal cowashes. Also, I just recently did a bentonite clay treatment and loved it!

In regards to deep conditioners I was using Elastica QP DPR-11. However, after watching some of the reviews I decided not to repurchase because the ingredients aren't that great. Currently, I'm on the look out for a replacement. Until I find one I've been doing the natural food thing. A lot of honey, coconut, olive, avacado oils. I think my next DC will include coconut milk and something else. I haven't finalized my ingredients list yet. I doubt I'll use all of this...

Deep Conditioner

1. Amla powder or oil

2. Conditioner

3. Coconut Milk

4. Coconut Oil

5. Honey

6. Olive Oil

7. Peppermint Oil (2-5 drops)

8. Rosemary Oil (2-5 drops)

9. Sage Oil (2-5 few drops)

10. Yogurt (Plain)
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 22nd January 2010, 10:34 pm

Thank you Shee and Intelligent! I've been playing with the idea of starting this thread for a while and decided now was the best time!
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 22nd January 2010, 10:45 pm

Welcome aboard!!! I'm glad you've joined us!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by MsJay1121 22nd January 2010, 10:51 pm

Love your thread!! I, too, was once a chronic presser....

Just cut off about 4 inches of straight pieces Sad

But it's growing back!
MsJay1121
MsJay1121

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 23rd January 2010, 12:37 am

Thank you ladies!

Curlie Cutes, its amazing how different our hair. Those straight pieces really fooled me into thinking my hair would never curl.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 23rd January 2010, 12:52 am

My twists...

These have been the hardest for me. At first I couldn't twist them to look like anything, but that was when I still had straight pieces. So just wearing twists was definitely out of the question.

My first twists were done with Root Stimulators Loc and Twist gel. The gel held well, but my straight pieces were so straight they didn't last.

Here is the twist out...not so bad, but I didn't know how to take care of it. Sorry for the poor quality of the picture.
SisterBoyd Twist_10

My next twist out was several months later after I cut most of my straight pieces off. I can't find the picture, but they were a little better. However, I still didn't know how to take care of them.

I've tried about 3 or 4 more times since and they just don't come out right. I don't know if I'm expecting something that I shouldn't or if its my uneven hair length. I believe that my hair does better with creamy products for twists.

Here are a few pictures from my most recent twists. Still not 100% satsified...
SisterBoyd Imag1025
I used Qhemet's Alma and Heavy Cream and Burdock Root Butter and left the twists in for about a seek

2nd day hair
SisterBoyd Imag1026

This time around a moisturized my hair regularly paying a lot of attention to my ends since I have a problem with knots and tangles.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by savvybrown 23rd January 2010, 1:34 am

Hey Sisterboyd look at YOU! You're story is so interesting. I LOVE Bentonite clay I put it all over my hair and face and freak out my husband LOL! Smooth as Silk is one of my staples too. What do you prepoo with? And do you do it the night before? Do you deep condition after you prepoo?
savvybrown
savvybrown

http://savvybrown.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 23rd January 2010, 2:07 am

Thank you Savvy!

I was using the DPR-11 with honey and coconut oil. Now I use a mixture of oils and honey. My favorite right now is avacado oil and honey. If I don't do it overnight I'll get up extra early like 3-5 am apply and then actually wash between 8-11 am or later depending on what I'm doing. If I'm on a schedule I'll try to leave it in at least a hour.

I always deep condition after I shampoo. If I prepoo before I cowash it depends if I'm doing conditioner only that day. Right now I have Carol's Daughter's Hair Smoothie and Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner and I will use those mixed together for my DC. If I feel like I'm extra tangled I may use those after a cowash as well.

I know I said I was on the look out for a new DC, but didn't mention the CD or MC. I can't say that I will purchase those again right away. I'm not opposed to purchasing them again, but I want to try something new and more cost effective. I would recommend both of those as DC's.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 23rd January 2010, 7:41 am

Hey sister Boyd- now this doesn't mean that you plan on leaving us over that the 35 club? Does it????

Your story was real interesting. cheers
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 23rd January 2010, 10:40 am

Great story ... SisterBoyd.

Happy Hair Growing
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 23rd January 2010, 1:06 pm

I would recommend using olive oil and coconut oil as a deep conditioner. Like I tell all the curlies.....that combo is the TRUTH!!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 23rd January 2010, 1:59 pm

Thank you ladies!

Lynn, I've done olive oil and coconut oil a few times in my prepoos. I really liked it.

Now I get confused when I hear folks talk about DC and DT with oils. Are you really meaning prepooing or hot oil treatments?
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 23rd January 2010, 2:31 pm

I put the oil in my hair and sit under the dryer 30-40 minutes.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 23rd January 2010, 5:30 pm

Welcome and enjoy!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 24th January 2010, 4:11 am

Hey SisterBoyd...;-)
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 24th January 2010, 5:16 pm

Welcome to the challenge! I enjoyed reading where you have been. Your hair is looking good.

Last edited by ChrsLvsBks on 5th March 2010, 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correct spelling)
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 24th January 2010, 5:49 pm

Thanks ladies!

Hey The_Ryl_1...are you ready for your mixes yet?

Today, I'm going to cowash in the shower. Its one of those lazy Sundays and I gave my bed some quality time today ;P

I'll cowash with the rest of my HE Tousled that I fixed (garlic water, oil mixture, glycerin, aloe) and some Suave. It will be my first time using Suave. I'm not sure what else I'm going to do to it. Most likely the conditioner only method, but not sure which conditioner I'll use. Last week I used Giovanni 50/50 for the second time and it wasn't as wonderful as the first time.

...will be back with the final results...
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Keisha 24th January 2010, 8:29 pm

Hey sisterboyd, welcome to the challenge.
Keisha
Keisha

Back to top Go down

Post by MsJay1121 24th January 2010, 8:31 pm

SisterBoyd wrote:Thank you ladies!

Curlie Cutes, its amazing how different our hair. Those straight pieces really fooled me into thinking my hair would never curl.

Same here... that is, until I saw that my roots were nice and kinky.... I still have a few straight pieces in there, but not enough where I would need to chop anymore (thank goodness)... but I'm with you--I'll be laying off the heat for a WHILE!
MsJay1121
MsJay1121

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum