CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good Shampoo's

+4
cutephantasm
Curly Film Chick
dajewel
loveself247
8 posters

Go down

Good Shampoo's Empty Good Shampoo's

Post by loveself247 2nd November 2009, 11:24 pm

Can anyone recommend any good shampoo's for a newbie that's transitioning?
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Good Shampoo's Empty Re: Good Shampoo's

Post by dajewel 2nd November 2009, 11:34 pm

try any shampoos that have no sulfates or low/no poo. also, have you thought about co-washing? that is a great way to maintain moisture while gently cleansing the hair.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 2nd November 2009, 11:41 pm

Ok, don't laugh but what is Co-washing? I just started my transition two weeks ago so I am still learning lol
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly Film Chick 3rd November 2009, 12:26 am

loveself247 wrote:Ok, don't laugh but what is Co-washing? I just started my transition two weeks ago so I am still learning lol

It's just washing with conditioner. (Co-washing=conditioner washing)
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 3rd November 2009, 12:33 am

Thank you,

By the way,,,,what are the benefits of doing that for someone like me with two textures? I have more relaxed hair than natural at the moment.
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 3rd November 2009, 1:05 am

is ok to ask questions about co-washing! i just started co-washing a couple of weeks ago, and i already see the difference.

the benefit is that it will help your hair retain the moisture it needs so that the hair doesn't break off where your relaxed hair and natural hair meets. this junction is actually very sensitive and very prone to breakage.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 3rd November 2009, 1:10 am

Oh ok, I have read that before but didn't know it related to Co-washing. Thanks!

Just a good rinse out conditioner and then wash with my regular shampoo and apply my leave in conditioner?
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by cutephantasm 3rd November 2009, 1:32 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
i shampoo 1-2x/month (cowash at least 2-3x a week depending on how my hair is feeling) I use this shampoo which I buy at duane reade. I originally bought it because my sides were thinning, but this is the best shampoo i've used so far.... doesnt dry out my hair at all!
cutephantasm
cutephantasm

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 3rd November 2009, 1:34 am

Where can I find it in Houston?
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by cutephantasm 3rd November 2009, 1:37 am

@loveself - they have it online...google plant shampoo for hair loss, or they have it in most drug stores....its usually by the "ethnic" hair care products, lol
cutephantasm
cutephantasm

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 3rd November 2009, 1:40 am

Wow I have never seen or heard of that. I'm going to google it.
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 3rd November 2009, 1:44 am

i don't know about that combo, but i think i saw one video that the lady conditioned over night, rinsed out with dr.bronner's soap(that is a good cleanser for the hair and a little goes a longgggg way because its concentrated) and then used a leave-in conditioner to style. there is another natural on here that adds baking soda to her conditioner when she co-washes. there are lots of naturals that use baking soda to cleanse their hair and scalp of build up. i would recommend not to shampoo very often, and when shampoo-ing use a non-sulfate(sulfates are very drying to our hair) shampoo such as dr.bronner's, the Giovanni line, Alba line, Kiss my Face, Aubrey's, Carol's Daughter, karen's body beautiful, Oyin Handmade etc...even before i began co-washing i only shampoo-ed maybe once a month. i plan to use shampoo maybe every month or so or when i feel my hair needs it. remember, its all experimenting and what works for one person may not work for another. but for the most part, many naturals don't shampoo their hair very often in a given month. on the flip side, lots of naturals co-wash alot: some once a day, some once or twice a week, etc. its all dependent on the needs of your hair. so, listen to your hair. have fun with it and don't give up!! post pics of your hair journey!!

cutephantasm, wow, that is yet another shampoo to add to my list!!! how does it smell??
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by cutephantasm 3rd November 2009, 1:53 am

@dajewel hmm im not sure what it smells like...lol it has a faint smell that doesnt stick around...it smells good though :-)

Here is the description I found so far

Stops Alopecia,Accelerates Hair Growth,Remove the dirt secreted by sebaceous glands,Eliminates the pathogenic micro organisms(such as bacteria)at the hair root Stop hair loss and dandruff, Excellent for all type of hair 100 % Natural Plant.

The Products were made by Natural selected materials of Tibetan Chinese Herbs and Plant Extracts, These Secret Tibetan Formulas from the snow plateaus are 3500 meters above sea level along with the Tibetan medical theory of 1300 years of history: These products were formulated scientifically by several old doctors of traditional Chinese science and super critical extracting technology.” Deity of Hair” Plant Shampoo for Hair Loss will improve the Blood circulation to hair follicles and Scalp. The product will make hair follicles open and smooth, Balance the secretion of sebaceous glands, Prevents various bacteria that cause ALOPECIA(Hair Loss), Improves and maintains the outside environment of Natural Hair Growth. Growth. “Deity of Hair” Natural plant products are excellent for preventing hair loss, Nourishing and accelerating the Natural growth of all types of Hair. Naturally!!

The “Deity of Hair” Natural Plant products have been formulated with top quality Natural ingredients for Preventing ALOPECIA (Hair Loss). According to the Various Tibetan Chinese doctors and cosmetic experts who have researched the Bacteria that causes Hair Loss, These experts have developed and formulated these fantastic highly effective Natural products for YOU, Through Super critical extracting technology, Science, Tibetan Secret formulas, Dynamic Growth Elements, Effective Herbal Essences and Balancing Botanicals, These products are the best for YOU. Naturally!!

Proved by clinical application the” Deity of Hair” products have actions to Prevent Hair Loss, Thinning, Dandruff and Accelerate Hair Growth Naturally with NO SIDE Effects. The Products have passed strict clinical testing and has been approved by the Chinese ministry of public health, P.R.C. The” Deity of Hair” Plant Shampoo for Hair loss has received the Authoritative certification by the Chinese association of Tibetan Herbal science. These products will have positive effects on these types of scalp and root problems.

1. Excessive secretion of oils (sebomheic alopecia)
2. Excessive secretion of androgen on scalp (pathological alopecia)
3. Deficiency of trace elements, the decline of cell function on scalp (pathological Alopecia)
4. Work stress, environmental pollution, perms, coloring, etc. (physical Alopecia)
5. Regular use for those who have NO Hair Loss problems will have an excellent function to nourish and Accelerate the Natural Growth of hair.

MAIN INGREDIENT: Tuber of Multiflower, Knotweed, Angelica, Fruit of Rangoon Creeper, Fruit of Glossy Privet, Myrobalan, Root bark of shaggy fruited dittany, Ginseng, Saffron, etc.

Function and Effect: Prevents Bacterial Alopecias, Folliculitis and eliminates Dandruff, Accelerate hair growth naturally, makes hair thick and beautiful Naturally.

Usage: Wet hair thoroughly then apply a moderate amount of the product and gently massage and leave on scalp for 5 minutes then Rinse with tepid water. The effect will be better if repeated.
cutephantasm
cutephantasm

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 3rd November 2009, 1:55 am

Wow,,, you got me wanting to go out to look for it NOW! What drug stores have you seen it in?
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 3rd November 2009, 1:56 am

what's the brand name again, I can't tell from picture?
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by cutephantasm 3rd November 2009, 2:20 am

Brand name is "Deity of Hair" they should have it in Rite Aid/CVS/Duane Reade etc (do you have any of those there??)

It cost like $11 or so for the bottle (dont remember) most of the instructions are in Chinese too so you should notice it right away.
cutephantasm
cutephantasm

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 3rd November 2009, 2:29 am

Ok there's a CVS here, I will check that out,,,tomorrow.

Thanks
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by LovelyCurls 14th November 2009, 11:08 pm

Hello, I read that you were in Houston and I have a friend there that has been natural for 2 years or so. She gets a lot of her products from Uncle Funky's Daughter, they also have a website. I agree with the co-wash, it has truly help with maintaining moisture in my hair. I just picked up Herbal Essences: Hello Hydration and Herbal Essence: Totally Twisted. These were $2.99 each and they smell great. Just thought I would throw another option out there. As far as shampoo, I am still trying to find one that I love when I do wash my hair (about once every week or two weeks). I will watch this post with you to see what suggestions come up. Hope this helps some =) Good luck with your transition. You will truly enjoy your beautiful curls
LovelyCurls
LovelyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 15th November 2009, 12:09 am

I still swear by Burt's Bees. A little goes a long way. I've had my bottle since May and it's still over half full. No sulfates and it removes product buildup too. I also use Carol's Daughter Khoret Amen but I like to rely on products I can run out and buy at a store so once I run out of the Carol's Daughter, I probably won't purchase it again. Suave coconut naturals is a great co-wash, it defines curls really well.
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 15th November 2009, 12:33 am

i definitely love suave naturals esp when its on sale for like $1
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by cutephantasm 29th November 2009, 5:32 pm

i know its like 3 years later, lol but heres an update

the shampoo that I reccommended smells just like Castille soap! I just bought Dr. Bronners 18-in01 Hemp Peppermint Pure Castille soap so I can finally pinpoint the smell
cutephantasm
cutephantasm

Back to top Go down

Post by so1913 29th November 2009, 9:29 pm

Hair Rules makes an excellent cleansing cream...that and the quench conditioner are the two products I like/use from the line. Currently they have the 16oz bottle on sale for the price of the 8oz to celebrate making the best of list for Essence. I'm not sure how much longer this sale will last, but I HIGHLY recommend this conditioning cleansing shampoo. Hair feels clean, soft and conditioned.

http://www.hairrules.com

FYI: I'd pass over the styling cremes
so1913
so1913

http://www.twitter.com/so1913

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down