CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Split Ends

2 posters

Go down

Split Ends Empty Split Ends

Post by divatri 10th January 2010, 2:16 am

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced some of the same things that I am. I transitioned for 8 months and then BC'd 10/2/08. I trimmed my ends for the first time 4 months after BC'ing; followed by 2 more trims within 2009. When I first BC'd, my hair was very easy to comb, then as time went on I started getting pea sized knots on the ends and if a strand of hair falls out, I always analyze it and constantly see little tiny barely visible "balls" on the ends, some even in the middle/upper portion of the strand; all signs of split ends. I recently had a stylist trim 2 inches off and for a week it was great, but then the balls and knots came back. Did I mention I also have color? A big part of me wants to BC again to cut all of the color out and start over; I really think my hair is just split all the way up and I believe the color has a lot to do with it. Moisture is not an issue for me and I don't use heat on my hair; all I do is co-wash and go; with deep conditioning once a week, and leave in conditioners and shea on it as a daily ritual.
Is this "knotting" and "balling" normal for 4A's? How often should you trim your hair? If I pursue the option to BC again to cut the color out, I will be left with about 2 inches of hair in it's unshrunken state; how do you trim hair that is that short (barber using clippers or stylist who can blow it out and use scissors?; clippers scare me, something makes me think that it could mess up your hair and that scissors are a better route)?
divatri
divatri

Back to top Go down

Split Ends Empty Re: Split Ends

Post by tiashaunteé 10th January 2010, 8:34 pm

Sounds like what some call "fairy knots" I get them a lot when I wear wash n gos....so the cowash and go may be adding to the knots. How long is your hair now? If you are able to detangle and twist at night, that may help.

I have been bunning or twisting all winter and I have noticed a huge decrease in the presence of knots
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by divatri 10th January 2010, 9:05 pm

Wow I never thought the culprit could be the cowashing & go; and that's all I do. I am now down to about 4 inches of hair so twisting every night is rather difficult at my length (would have to be done small and takes a lot of time to do every night)?
divatri
divatri

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 10th January 2010, 9:21 pm

The twist would be just to sleep in to keep your hair from moving all around at night and prevent the strands from intertwining with each other. They can be big and ugly Smile
I think you can twist on 4 inches, I have seen it done on less. Try it out and see if its possible
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by divatri 10th January 2010, 10:03 pm

I will try; I am not sure what I will do without my wet & go's; I do it even in the winter, smh Smile The question is should I BC again and start over; I have knots and balls all over the place Sad
divatri
divatri

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 10th January 2010, 10:06 pm

Good question. I am doing the search and destroy method now that I got them under control but a few months ago I just went ahead and chopped off 1-2 inches all over.
Have you checked MahoganyCurls for some style options? Maybe you can find something to incorporate so that you would have to do so many wash-n-gos.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down