CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'll be a Big Sister!

5 posters

Go down

I'll be a Big Sister! Empty I'll be a Big Sister!

Post by immacurlie 31st December 2009, 5:32 am

I love to talk hair. So, if there is anyone out there who would like to talk hair with me, I'll be your Big Sis. Here is some information about me: I have fine hair with an S wave pattern. I've been natural since April 2004, with the exception of eight months when I relaxed in February 2007. I HATED my hair, so I BCed for the third time in October 2007. I like to keep my apl hair in protective styles such as buns and twisted updos. However, I will wear my hair straight and curly every now and then. My hair is curly in my siggy with KT and KCCC. I'm no longer a product junkie as I've found that less is more. I am into natural butters and oils, which I like to whip up into my own concoctions for my hair and skin. I'd like to be a big sister to someone who is completely natural as I do not know much about transitioning. I transitioned for four months before I BCed. I'm not an avocate of long transitioning phrases as I believe one learns much more about her hair while it is growing out from a TWA. This is just my opinion, to each her own. If there is any one who is interested in having me as her Big Sis, let me know.

Last edited by immacurlie on 21st January 2010, 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
immacurlie
immacurlie

Back to top Go down

I'll be a Big Sister! Empty Re: I'll be a Big Sister!

Post by stona101 31st December 2009, 5:48 pm

hey gurl i need help i am tranistioning and i need some good product ideas . plz
stona101
stona101

Back to top Go down

Post by Curls I Do Adore 2nd January 2010, 11:19 pm

I really need a big sis! I bc'ed after 3 1/2 months, been natural for 2 weeks and need sum support cuz i look at my twa im hate it and 2 seconds away from an relaxer even tho i hated them and no they are so unhealthy, i just dont no what to do.
Curls I Do Adore
Curls I Do Adore

Back to top Go down

Post by hyspin 3rd January 2010, 10:28 pm

Yeah I need a big sis, I have finally removed my weave 5-6 months ago and have been working with my natural hair, now I need some solutions for make a style last longer than a day for braid-outs or twist outs (twist outs prefered). I am still learning cornrows so they are not at the state to be acceptable for where out in public or fast enough to be efficient.

Help please.

My hair is mostly 4A medium thickness, slightly dry due to winter weather but is super soft (Yah!). Length is ear to an inch below ear when in shrunken twist and shoulder length (or just an inch past 6 cervical vertebra to be exact) when straightened application.
hyspin
hyspin

Back to top Go down

Post by immacurlie 6th January 2010, 10:11 pm

Curls I Do Adore wrote:I really need a big sis! I bc'ed after 3 1/2 months, been natural for 2 weeks and need sum support cuz i look at my twa im hate it and 2 seconds away from an relaxer even tho i hated them and no they are so unhealthy, i just dont no what to do.

You hate it because it's different. Own your hair, girl! It is YOU! When I had a TWA (3 times over), I put gel in my hair, and kept it moving. If you want long natural hair, you will have to start somewhere, and a TWA is where you chose to start. I bet you look just fine with short hair. Take of the hair you have; it WILL grow.
immacurlie
immacurlie

Back to top Go down

Post by immacurlie 6th January 2010, 10:17 pm

hyspin wrote:Yeah I need a big sis, I have finally removed my weave 5-6 months ago and have been working with my natural hair, now I need some solutions for make a style last longer than a day for braid-outs or twist outs (twist outs prefered). I am still learning cornrows so they are not at the state to be acceptable for where out in public or fast enough to be efficient.

Help please.

My hair is mostly 4A medium thickness, slightly dry due to winter weather but is super soft (Yah!). Length is ear to an inch below ear when in shrunken twist and shoulder length (or just an inch past 6 cervical vertebra to be exact) when straightened application.

I rarely wear my hair out/down. I wet twist my hair and wear it up in a bun. When the twists look old, I untwist them and wear a bun for a few more days. I can get about 7-10 days before I wash my hair and start the process all over again. I'm a BIG fan of low manipulation. I'm too busy to do anything else with my hair.
immacurlie
immacurlie

Back to top Go down

Post by hyspin 7th January 2010, 3:20 pm

immacurlie wrote:
hyspin wrote:Yeah I need a big sis, I have finally removed my weave 5-6 months ago and have been working with my natural hair, now I need some solutions for make a style last longer than a day for braid-outs or twist outs (twist outs prefered). I am still learning cornrows so they are not at the state to be acceptable for where out in public or fast enough to be efficient.

Help please.

I rarely wear my hair out/down. I wet twist my hair and wear it up in a bun. When the twists look old, I untwist them and wear a bun for a few more days. I can get about 7-10 days before I wash my hair and start the process all over again. I'm a BIG fan of low manipulation. I'm too busy to do anything else with my hair.

Ummm, okay, so I guess there is no way around it huh. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] My hair is not long enough to put into a wet twist based bun. I don't really like leave them hanging as just twist becuase they seem a little childish and since I work in a wide variety of firms and organizations I want to seem professional since some places are business casual and others are business formal.

What is my best style that I can do that will last an average work week, is cost effective, that won't add more damage during the winter months, which looks professional? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
hyspin
hyspin

Back to top Go down

Post by immacurlie 7th January 2010, 8:51 pm

What is my best style that I can do that will last an average work week, is cost effective, that won't add more damage during the winter months, which looks professional? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here are some options:

1. Blow dry your hair with a comb attachment just enough to elongate your hair for a twisted updo. You could secure shorter twists with pins. Blow dry in small sections, with low heat, and a heat protectant.

2. Buy an afro puff. I have one that has a drawstring and combs. I love it! Depending on how I wear it, it looks like I have my hair out in the back, or a really big puff. I get compliments on my hair all the time when I wear it. It matches my hair color and texture perfectly when my hair is blowdried. Maybe I'll post a picture as my avatar.

3. Wear one big braid down the middle or part your hair in the middle or the side for two loose braids or twists, secure in the back with a pretty barrett or clip. I have even braided my hair in one big braid around the perimeter of my head. I'll leave tendrils out that I'll either wet with water for loose curls or put a little gel on them for tighter curls. It looks very pretty, romantic. Sometimes you'll see ballet dancers with their hair braided this way.

4. There is a female on Youtube that has a tutorial on an updo she calls the "Southern Tease," I think. If I can find the link, I'll post. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_-XBalPjVg

5. Bantu knots are great also.

I hope this helps.

immacurlie
immacurlie

Back to top Go down

Post by hyspin 8th January 2010, 1:24 am

You are a life saver, thank goodness I found you. I about to get a large contract at a Large Financial Contract and they're Business Formal. Thanks again. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
hyspin
hyspin

Back to top Go down

Post by rmarie 21st January 2010, 2:19 pm

Hello,
Iam in desperate need of a Big Sis!!! I've been transistioning only since the end of Nov. 2009. And my hair is not going anywhere that I thought it would by now. No one is supportive at all on my decision to do this. I really want to chop it off and start fresh but, my boyfrined would flip out. Do you have any other suggestions for me. It's nappy at the roots and straight on the ends. The styles i've tried don't look right. Please help!!!
rmarie
rmarie

Back to top Go down

Post by immacurlie 21st January 2010, 7:47 pm

You might not want to hear what I have to say, but I would sugguest that you take the plunge and get your hair cut. Do not do it yourself. Go to a barber and have your hair professionally cut. I've had my hair cut three times into a TWA. Each time, I didn't give a FLIP about what other people thought, including my boyfriend. Fortunately, he loved me when my hair was short, and he loves me now with apl hair. If he didn't, well . . . I didn't hide behind my hair. I was confident enough rock my TWA regardless of what people thought. I guess India Irie's "I am Not My Hair" is my theme song, as I am not attached to my hair; it doesn't define me. I would go get all of it cut off again if I was certain it would all grow back. I'm getting older, and female pattern baldness runs in my family. Long natural takes a lot more care than short natural hair. I am way to busy to fuss with my hair. I wear my hair tucked in a bun 99% of the time. People are amazed by how long my hair is when I do wear it out. If dealing with the two textures of your hair is becoming too much for you to handle, cut it. Don't hold on to something that is giving you grief, get rid of it. Becoming a natural is the goal, right? A hair cut will give you an opportunity to not only get to know your hair, it will also give you an opportunity to see what your relationship is really made of. If he hates short nappy hair, trust me he will hate long nappy hair too. You might find that YOU are more attached to your hair than he is. Good luck! BTW, check out my avatar, first TWA, April 2004.
immacurlie
immacurlie

Back to top Go down

Post by hyspin 22nd January 2010, 12:27 pm

Well what I did to transition is I wore a weave for a few years (but you don't have to go that long). You could wear braids or wear weaves for about year (note change it 2-3 months) until you have enough new growth to chop off your straighten hair. But make sure to keep your hair well moisturized (always ad oil to moisten hair not dry, most if not all oils work as a sealant). That is my suggetions, if you don't want to crop it too low, or don't think you have the head for the big chop.
hyspin
hyspin

Back to top Go down

Post by rmarie 22nd January 2010, 6:59 pm

@immacurlie- Thank you girl so much. You really did just inspire me to start thinking about myself. If my BF loved me then he would love me no matter what I looked like. We actualy had a long convo last night about it and I let him know that Im doing this for me. I plan to do the BC in the spring time though because of this weather. Until then I plan to wear a braided style. Thank you so much for your help.

@Hyspin- Thanks alot for the help! Im actually going to get braids this weekend.
rmarie
rmarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down