CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitness *CHALLENGE*

+19
naturalhonney
WestNDNBeauty
FemmeFox
splitsun
missmoni4x4
Mllebutterfly
jamaicacurl
blessedone
TerraD
D-Lish
tyza21
nmoultry
cinnamoncurlz
CurlySpeechTherapist
ashollan
oooop2
veggiegirl314
dajewel
cutephantasm
23 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Fitness *CHALLENGE* - Page 2 Empty Re: Fitness *CHALLENGE*

Post by tyza21 4th November 2009, 2:59 pm

Hello Everyone,
Just wondering if anyone uses the stairs in their gym, not the stair master but the big machine that simulates walking or running up stairs. I read that you can do a few other routines on this machine but just wondering if you ladies have any suggestions. Yesterday I did twenty minutes on the treadmill and ten minutes on the steps, and I must say it felt like the steps gave me double the workout in half the time than the treadmill bounce

tyza21

Back to top Go down

Post by cutephantasm 4th November 2009, 4:41 pm

@tyza I havent tried the stairs machine (or the treadmill lol) I use the elliptical and thats about it for cardio....sometimes the bicycle too. It's good to switch up your exercises though (like you did) so that your body doesnt really get too adjusted to it and u can still raise your heart rate.

Remember with any repetitive motions like with these cardio machines, there runs the risk of knee injuries so make sure to stretch adequately after your workouts.

It's also good to do some exercises that strengthen your abductor muscles as well to make sure your your legs are strong and knees are fully supported.
cutephantasm
cutephantasm

Back to top Go down

Post by tyza21 4th November 2009, 6:11 pm

@cutephantasm Thanks!! Just got back from the gym. I use this really cool stretching machine and I feel great after using it. The machine stretches all of the major muscles and so far I haven't had any problems since adding this to the end of my session. I also change up on cardio machines or workouts to keep from boredom

tyza21

Back to top Go down

Post by cutephantasm 4th November 2009, 8:02 pm

yes ma'am...glad yur going to the gym and sticking with it!! you will start seeing results in no time =)
cutephantasm
cutephantasm

Back to top Go down

Post by D-Lish 5th November 2009, 11:51 am

I'm new to exercising so I figure I'd start slow. I do Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays at the Gym. I go there for an hour. So I do 3 days a week, 3 hours a week, of pure cardio. I don't do any weight training because I didn't bring my weights with me, but around thanksgiving I am going home to do that.

TIP: The more muscle you build/gain, the more calories you burn.
TIP: Calories burning out of your body must be more than the amount of calories you put in.

As of right now, I take a multivitamin a day. I don't have a diet or any food restrictions. I just eat small portions. My college campus hardly serves any vegetables so I'm stuck with baby carrots for a vegetable snack. My Junk food does include chips, but more healthy chips such as apple chips, sun chips, pretzels. I drink no soda, just water or 100% juices in the morning.
D-Lish
D-Lish

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 5th November 2009, 2:51 pm

This thread is sooooo informative! Dajewel I will definitely try your recipe! Here's one of my own faves!

Veggie Fajitas
sliced (onion, green pepper, mushrooms, carrot, roasted tomatoes)
spices, to taste (cayenne, garlic, paprika, pepper, tumeric)
tsp of low sodium soy sauce
soft tortillas
brown rice
garnishes (salsa, guacamole, etc.)
(you can also add meat if you want)

Saute veggies in wok, with a little EVOO, until slightly tender, but still crisp. Put in wraps and garnish. You can add the rice to your fajita or as a side. If used as a side, pair with black beans!

Hope you guys try this, it's a quick, easy dish.
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by blessedone 7th November 2009, 3:01 am

Hello, my name is Cathy. I'm learning how to eat all over again. Portion control, exercise and eating the right foods. Being overweght is not healthy for me and now it's taken a toll on my body. I would appreciate any advice you can offer me.

blessedone

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 7th November 2009, 3:23 am

hey, CAthy!! Welcome!!! you are in the right place!! i would urge you to take baby steps because, as you pointed out, you need/want to learn how to eat all over again. i can tell you that for me it was a gradual change over about 3 years.

70% of healthy weight management comes from eating a well-balanced diet. you can still be greedy, but be greedy for the healthy stuff!! just doing that alone you will see a remarkable difference in your body. nonetheless, you need to have constant physical activity. first, make sure to always start your day with something healthy, filling and nutritious. i find that i really like and benefit from eating a combo of protein and fibre in the morning. the protein helps def in the hair quality. the fiber def helps manage your food intake and thus, your digestion; having healthy BM is part of managing a healthy weight. to get my protein and fibre, i usually like to eat oatmeal with frozen fruit. i like to sometimes follow up yogurt or eggs, depending how hungry i am, how much time i have and what am feeling to eat. sometimes, i make my own smoothies from juice and frozen fruit that i buy from wal-mart. alot of it is experimenting to find what you like. we all have some amazing ways to stay healthy. i will add more info shortly.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 16th November 2009, 11:49 pm

dajewel wrote:awesome!! i really need to get on board because i need stamina and do my costume justice for when i play mas in Trinidad in February 2010, and i have been slacking a bit (well, i guess playing tennis religiously since forever isn't slacking). regardless, need to up my game. so, i want to share one of my fav, go-to recipes that i always have on hand. i mentioned this in another thread. its my corn and bean medley salad. i like it because it helps me reach my daily in take of veggie and fiber, easy to make and goes with EVERYTHING. also, i tend to make alot when i prepare food so that it makes it easier to plan my daily menu and thus, easier to maintain my healthy eating habits.

one can of sweet corn
one can of black beans
palmful of chopped onions of your choice
palmful of chopped tomatoes of your choice
tablespoon of any type of mustard (i like it with honey Dijon mustard)
tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
3 teaspoons of olive oil
feta cheese, chopped almonds or pecans, salt and pepper are optional

directions:
1) open the cans, and rinse them with water so that all of the sauces are eliminated. i do this especially with the black beans.
2) in a big mixing bowl add the corn, beans, tomatoes, onions, mustard, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
3) mix well
4) for garnish, you can add the cheese and/or the nuts

i love eating this in whole wheat pita. in the pita i like to have sour cream and some type of meat.

i hope this helps!!

I've been thinking about this meal since I read it earlier today! I told my husband about it and I'm making it for dinner tomorrow! I may add some strips of chicken breast...
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

http://www.MishMashbyMarsha.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 17th November 2009, 6:53 pm

Ok so I just tried the corn & bean medley salad and loved it!!! It gets 2 thumbs up for me! It's a nice light meal.

Mine was a little modified: I seasoned with salt, pepper, italian seasoning, and chopped garlic and everything else in the instructions. I left out the onions b/c I am not a huge fan of that bold taste of raw onion.
I also substituted the feta cheese for crumbled moterey jack, colby and cheddar cheese (came in a pack). My Wally World (WalMart)didn't sell pita bread so I got some round sandwich bread that kinda looks like pita (whole wheat). I also added chopped pecans, sour cream and spinach.

This was very good and I will definitely add it to my weekly repertoire of meals!

Thanks again dajewel!
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

http://www.MishMashbyMarsha.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Fitness *CHALLENGE* - Page 2 Empty teas for digestion

Post by cutephantasm 28th November 2009, 11:53 am

this popped up on Yahoo! news and I never considered it before http://health.yahoo.com/experts/drmao/22381/healthy-detox-after-overindulging/

I have almost all of those types of teas/herbs ...right now im drinking a mint/cilantro/green tea concoction which is actually quite tasty

Any of your ladies drink teas to aid digestion/cleansing?
cutephantasm
cutephantasm

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 28th November 2009, 1:51 pm

hey, guys! i did my yoga today! what a workout!

as for cleansing, i have used a oolong, roobios tea mix from teavana to help with my digestion. it worked wonders!

there are other remedies used to detox. in the west indies/central america we use senna or castor oil.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by cutephantasm 28th November 2009, 3:35 pm

@dajewel Havent heard of any of those! (with the exception of castor oil of course)

Are those things that you reccommend good for normal every day drinking (say to eat after a meal) or are they like heavy duty once in a while teas?
cutephantasm
cutephantasm

Back to top Go down

Post by Mllebutterfly 21st December 2009, 1:26 pm

I'm up for the challenge! I've been thinking about starting a blog and a series of Youtube videos on the subject. I'm a nutrition major and a chef so I know a lot about nutrition but, I still struggle with sticking to a fitness routine. Anyway, I am starting a 12 week food/fitness plan today. I will write more once I have more to report. I would love to have all my fellow curly heads supporting me and likewise I would love to offer info and advice and just be a cheerleader.

Mllebutterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by cutephantasm 21st December 2009, 4:31 pm

good luck mlle butterfly!! its good that you're a nutrition major since diet is most of it....its hard for me to get motivated to go to the gym so I take dance classes instead -- tonight, belly dancing, tomorrow, african!!
cutephantasm
cutephantasm

Back to top Go down

Post by missmoni4x4 13th January 2010, 1:12 am

@Mllebutterfly - I'd love to check out your fitness plan. I am trying to create one right now myself. I don't eat enough, but I barely lose weight. If I exercise rigorously, I am Constantly hungry, stomach growling. When I eat extra fruits, vegetables, I still don't lose any weight...

@cutephantasm- I have been trying to stalk your fotki or something for a while now! But I can't find it. lol You look great! I am worried I will have loose skin in certain places from losing so much weight. But your photograph has inspired me!
missmoni4x4
missmoni4x4

Back to top Go down

Post by Mllebutterfly 13th January 2010, 11:21 am

Hi Missmoni4x4,
If you want to lose weight you must eat otherwise you send signals to your body that you are "starving" and it will hold on to every calorie it gets and store it in the form of fat. Your body will also begin to break down your muscles to use for energy. This is very inefficient plus the more lean muscle tissue you have the faster your body burns calories. You should only reduce the calories in your diet by 500 calories. Then burn an additional 500 calories through exercise. This will create a 1,000 calorie deficit which will allow you to lose 2 pounds per week. There are two really great lifestyle diet plans that really adhere to the most current weightloss research available. I recommend "Volumetrics". This diet will allow you to eat more on fewer calories. There is also the "Abs Diet for Women" which is a very easy and straightforward approach. I use a hybrid of both of these approaches to weightloss.

Try these out and let me know if you start to get results. Soon I will post some of my recipes and my exercise routine to give you and the other ladies some ideas. I will also be doing some product reviews.

Mllebutterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by splitsun 13th January 2010, 9:09 pm

dajewel wrote:hey, guys! i did my yoga today! what a workout!

as for cleansing, i have used a oolong, roobios tea mix from teavana to help with my digestion. it worked wonders!

there are other remedies used to detox. in the west indies/central america we use senna or castor oil.

Things to make you quiver at night. How horrible it was.
splitsun
splitsun

Back to top Go down

Post by missmoni4x4 14th January 2010, 6:06 am

@Mllebutterfly - Thanks! I am going to try looking at one of those books to see which one I could stick to.
missmoni4x4
missmoni4x4

Back to top Go down

Post by cutephantasm 14th January 2010, 7:17 am

missmoni4x4 wrote:@Mllebutterfly - I'd love to check out your fitness plan. I am trying to create one right now myself. I don't eat enough, but I barely lose weight. If I exercise rigorously, I am Constantly hungry, stomach growling. When I eat extra fruits, vegetables, I still don't lose any weight...

@cutephantasm- I have been trying to stalk your fotki or something for a while now! But I can't find it. lol You look great! I am worried I will have loose skin in certain places from losing so much weight. But your photograph has inspired me!

lol...dont know why im just seeing this, but thanks!! =D I don't have a fotki...I dont stay up to date with my hair taking pics of progress, etc...but, maybe I should start a fitness fotki?

btw ... fruits have lots of complex sugars (most sugars ARE carbohydrates!) which means lots of calories!! [[they make you feel full longer since the body takes a longer time to break it down]] which means, although great as a snack, as with anything else, you should not overindulge on these if you are trying to lose weight...

also, you said that you eat "Extra" fruits and veggies...is this in addition to your normals portions? Adding fruits and veggies in addition to your regular diet plan would cause you to gain rather than lose weight...the only way to effectively lose weight is by eating them IN PLACE OF a few of your normal foods (i.e. snacking on an apple instead of a bag of chips, or replacing a slice of pizza with a healthy salad)

you also dont want to consume too FEW calories, as you will begin to lose muscle...(when your body needs energy, it breaks down muscle before it breaks down fats) a healthy balance of diet and exercise is always best and of course varies from person to person depending on your metabolic rate Smile
cutephantasm
cutephantasm

Back to top Go down

Post by missmoni4x4 15th January 2010, 11:19 pm

cutephantasm wrote:
missmoni4x4 wrote:@Mllebutterfly - I'd love to check out your fitness plan. I am trying to create one right now myself. I don't eat enough, but I barely lose weight. If I exercise rigorously, I am Constantly hungry, stomach growling. When I eat extra fruits, vegetables, I still don't lose any weight...

lol...dont know why im just seeing this, but thanks!! =D I don't have a fotki...I dont stay up to date with my hair taking pics of progress, etc...but, maybe I should start a fitness fotki?

btw ... fruits have lots of complex sugars (most sugars ARE carbohydrates!) which means lots of calories!! [[they make you feel full longer since the body takes a longer time to break it down]] which means, although great as a snack, as with anything else, you should not overindulge on these if you are trying to lose weight...

also, you said that you eat "Extra" fruits and veggies...is this in addition to your normals portions? Adding fruits and veggies in addition to your regular diet plan would cause you to gain rather than lose weight...the only way to effectively lose weight is by eating them IN PLACE OF a few of your normal foods (i.e. snacking on an apple instead of a bag of chips, or replacing a slice of pizza with a healthy salad)

you also dont want to consume too FEW calories, as you will begin to lose muscle...(when your body needs energy, it breaks down muscle before it breaks down fats) a healthy balance of diet and exercise is always best and of course varies from person to person depending on your metabolic rate Smile

You're so right! I recently read some of the same things you just said & I have noticed it in my own diet & system. The past few months I have not had an appetite or desire to eat so I know I'm barely getting enough nutrients.

When I said extra, I should've said extra vegetables & added some fruit, since I used to not eat fruit b/c the sugar in it would slow down my weightloss. But I try to eat fruit now since I have a better understanding of how important it is for my health. Thanks so much for the advice and I am going to try to incorporate a healthy diet into an exercise plan - instead of eating less w/out exercising!
missmoni4x4
missmoni4x4

Back to top Go down

Post by cutephantasm 16th January 2010, 2:50 pm

@missmoni yw...and good luck Smile
cutephantasm
cutephantasm

Back to top Go down

Post by FemmeFox 18th January 2010, 2:49 pm

Hi Ladies!

I am definitely up for joining the Fitness Challenge. Cutephantasm your pic is BEYOND inspiring! Right now I am trying to add more exercise to my day, so far it's been a bit difficult because I leave early in the morning for work and get home late after school. So I basically only have the 7 hours that I have carved out for sleeping to really do anything. The good thing is that this crazy schedule will be over in about 2 months so I'll have more time for exercise.

Right now I'm really trying to focus on my diet: eating smaller portions, eating more often, drinking more water etc. Any tips or suggestions would be great.

I'm super excited!
FemmeFox
FemmeFox

Back to top Go down

Post by WestNDNBeauty 18th January 2010, 3:15 pm

Hola Chicas!

I used to excercise four days a week for an hour a day. It was mostly walking on the treadmill with an RPM of 4.5. I lost some weight and my legs were looking great . [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

But then my family and I moved into our first house in December and since then I have completely fell off my game. I'm going to start walking again in the neighborhood with some weights and I'll do some sit ups to define and trim my waist. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] My goal is to be 136 by July for Caribana.

DaJewel, please take a jump up for me...I'll be missing TnT carnival this year [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] but everyday is carnival in my head, lol!
WestNDNBeauty
WestNDNBeauty

http://www.myspace.com/jetherlicious

Back to top Go down

Post by cutephantasm 18th January 2010, 10:27 pm

@ femme thanks =) I find the "little things that count" thread to be so inspiring!! you remember that even though you may not always do a full impact workout, these little things DO help in the long run!

@ WestNDNBeauty if you want to define your waist (I have the same issue) you need to do cardio...if you work out the muscles and do not do cardio, your waist will only get bigger because the muscle will still be under the fat....soo you need to burn fat to slim the middle!!

on that note, im heading to the gym now to do cardio...arrrgghh i hate going to the gym!! but no longer have time for my fav dance classes :-(

My workout tonight: 45 minutes on the elliptical (Goal Heart Rate of 182+) and maybe a little work on the abs and glutes... im kinda hungry right now so when I get back I will cook some dinner!!
cutephantasm
cutephantasm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next