CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

**traveljunkie08**

+34
CocoEuro
bholmes87
sunbaby
KinkyNappyHappy
StephanieB
CocaColaCutie
BlondeByDesire
MsJay1121
Kea::curls
CurlyMo
Notthecoolmom
Erica5417
SheeTacular
Pinkrage
Courtney
vmichelle
curly+kinky+fierce
LilMsPuddles
Freestyles
dajewel
Corygentri
truet
HumanNature
Juices-n-Berries
Intelligentbeauty
sweetdrk1
Courtie
AfrikanLatina
Curly Film Chick
NylaCoils
adiaha
ChrsLvsBks
Lynnieluve
traveljunkie08
38 posters

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next

Go down

**traveljunkie08** Empty **traveljunkie08**

Post by traveljunkie08 22nd December 2009, 12:02 am

After viewing other threads, I finally decided to start my own to document my progress. Hope you'll join me on my journey. Smile

On December 4, 2008, I went to a Dominican salon in NYC to get a relaxer. As I sat in the chair, I decided that it was going to be my last relaxer. A year earlier, I'd tried to transition, but relaxed out of convenience. I was ready to give it another try. But half way through my transition, I wanted to give up. Washing and detangling my hair became a nightmare. Not only was I shedding a lot of hair, but I was shedding a lot of tears too. I was very close to relaxing my hair again, but some friends encouraged me not to. So I didn't. Instead, I started researching. After spending countless hours on hair care blogs and YouTube, as well as lurking on some of the hair care boards, I felt re-energized and re-committed myself to transitioning.

The second half of my transition was easier and more exciting than the first. I began to experiment with different styles, products and hair accessories. As more and more of my natural hair grew in, I became increasingly curious about what my hair would look like without the relaxed ends. I had friends that were doing their BC with little transition, and I really admired their courage and confidence. As courageous as they were and as curious as I was, I knew that mentally, I wasn't ready to do the BC. So I patiently waited until it was "my time".

My time came on October 11, 2009; 10 months after my last relaxer. I was ready to let the relaxed ends go and accept my natural hair. I wet my hair, and started cutting. When I was done, I felt relieved and shocked. Relieved because I didn't have to worry about caring for two different textures anymore, and shocked because I couldn't believe I did it. I also felt indifferent about my new look. I didn't necessarily hate it, but I wasn't overjoyed either. Much of my identity was tied into my hair, so it took me a few weeks to get comfortable and confident with my hair. I still have my days when I'm not feeling it, but I don't have any regrets and I'm so happy to be on this journey.

Let's look at some pics, shall we?

This is the day of my last relaxer:
**traveljunkie08** 27261510

Halfway through my transition (I alternated between flat ironing and buns):
**traveljunkie08** 100_3210

My first twist n curl after a "mini chop" of 4 inches (it was more curl than twist):
**traveljunkie08** 100_3910

The day before the BC:
**traveljunkie08** Gedc0010

All the relaxed ends I cut off:
**traveljunkie08** Gedc0011

Flat ironed hair after the BC:
**traveljunkie08** Gedc0211

First WnG attempt (fail):
**traveljunkie08** Gedc0212

First twist out:
**traveljunkie08** Gedc0213

Last edited by traveljunkie08 on 29th December 2009, 2:27 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : changed color and added pics)
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

**traveljunkie08** Empty Re: **traveljunkie08**

Post by Lynnieluve 22nd December 2009, 12:15 am

You must of knew I was coming after you next?! **traveljunkie08** Lol
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 22nd December 2009, 12:24 am

Yeah, I had a hunch. Very Happy
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 22nd December 2009, 12:52 am

Welcome to the challenge! I look forward to reading more about you and your hair.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 22nd December 2009, 1:03 am

Thanks Chrs!
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaha 22nd December 2009, 1:23 am

:-) You curly twist (TnC) is cute. I look forward to reading more. Whats your typical regimen? Wash and go, or more twists?
adiaha
adiaha

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 22nd December 2009, 1:26 am

In case you missed the post, the St. Louis meet up was very well-attended. CurlyNikki is really sweet, and her hair looks even better in person. Very Happy The 8th pic from the top is of me with Nikki.

http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/12/view-from-stl.html

I really wish we could have a national meet-up. Hmm...
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 22nd December 2009, 1:36 am

adiaha wrote::-) You curly twist (TnC) is cute. I look forward to reading more. Whats your typical regimen? Wash and go, or more twists?

Thanks Adiaha! My basic regimen is to either pre-poo or DC on dry hair, co-wash, apply leave-in, seal and style. The products I use vary, but I'm definitely developing a list of favorites (i.e. KBB Hair Milk and QB AOHC). I mainly do twist outs. I'll try coils again in the very near future and a roller set.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 22nd December 2009, 2:05 am

@traveljunkie- your twistncurl is so GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!! My hair wants to be your hair when it grows up!
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 22nd December 2009, 2:50 pm

Thanks NylaCoils! That was when I was transitioning. I should be back there soon though!
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly Film Chick 22nd December 2009, 3:13 pm

you have really pretty hair...and I love your tnc results!
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 22nd December 2009, 3:50 pm

Do you notice a difference in DCing on dry hair before cowashing as opposed to DCing after a cowash? I agree, the tnc is super cute.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 23rd December 2009, 12:45 am

AfrikanLatina wrote:Do you notice a difference in DCing on dry hair before cowashing as opposed to DCing after a cowash? I agree, the tnc is super cute.

Thanks! No, I can't say that I notice a difference. It seems the same as when I DC after I co-wash. I just started doing it before I co-wash so I don't have to get in and out of the shower.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 23rd December 2009, 1:27 am

So, today I was feeling a little lazy and decided to do a wash n go. I pre-poo'd overnight with olive and coconut oils. Then I co-washed and detangled with Giovanni Smooth as Silk. I rinsed that out and applied HE TT, then AfroVeda Sunsilk Oil and shook my head to clump my coils. After that, I scrunched in some HE TT mousse and shook again. Finally I wrapped my hair in a microfiber turban for about an hour, removed it and shook again. It was about 80% dry. This is what it looked like:

**traveljunkie08** Gedc0612

I thought it looked pretty decent and it was really easy to do.

I then went shopping with my mom, sister and nephews. We went to the Global Foods Market. I was in heaven!!! Of course, I picked up some stuff for my hair. I bought:

- Hesh Neem Powder (to try a face mask I saw ChrsLvsBks and Courtie mention)
- Hesh Tulsi Powder (not sure how I'm going to use this yet)
- Hesh Brahmi Powder (not sure how I'm going to use this yet)
- Coconut Creme (will try w/ other stuff as a DC)
- Avocado Oil (will use to pre-poo)
- Swastik Shikakai Soap Bar (will try as a shampoo bar)

I also went to TJ Maxx and Marshall's and bought:
- Natures Gate Aloe Vera Conditioner
- Tulsi Tea (Orange Mint flavor)

I mixed the Tulsi tea (which has tulsi, orange peel, spearmint and hibiscus) with the neem powder and a little honey to make a face mask. I looked like the Incredible Hulk with it on:

**traveljunkie08** Gedc0613

I rinsed it off, then applied Argan oil (which I bought yesterday from Sephora) to my skin. I'll do the mask once or twice a week and see how things go.

Last edited by traveljunkie08 on 27th December 2009, 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed color)
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 23rd December 2009, 1:55 am

Sounds like you had a good shopping experience. I hope you get good results with neem. I have used brahmi. Let me know if interested in how I use it. There is some good information on naturallycurly.com in the 4A forum.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 23rd December 2009, 2:22 am

ChrsLvsBks wrote:Sounds like you had a good shopping experience. I hope you get good results with neem. I have used brahmi. Let me know if interested in how I use it. There is some good information on naturallycurly.com in the 4A forum.

I'd LOVE to know how you use it. I'll also check out the thread on NC.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 23rd December 2009, 3:16 am

You wash n go was super cute. Love your frames too. I gotta get new frames.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtie 23rd December 2009, 11:47 am

Your wash n go looks great! Super moisturized and curly.

Did the neem mask leave your face feeling good? Keep us posted on how that works.
Courtie
Courtie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 23rd December 2009, 12:30 pm

I have not used brahmi alone. I do think you can use it alone unlike some of the other Ayurvedic powders. I typically mix it with other powders--maka, amla and/or kapoor kalchi. I mix them together then add enough water until it's the consistency of pudding. I apply it in sections smooshing it into the roots then to the ends. I leave it on for about 30 minutes. I typically put on a plastic bag to ensure none of it falls out of my hair. I rinse it until no residue then co-wash, apply leave-in and style.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 23rd December 2009, 2:43 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:You wash n go was super cute. Love your frames too. I gotta get new frames.

Thanks Lynnieluve! I'll tell you a secret. I got these frames in China for $10. They're knock-off MaxMara's.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 23rd December 2009, 2:45 pm

Courtie wrote:Your wash n go looks great! Super moisturized and curly.

Did the neem mask leave your face feeling good? Keep us posted on how that works.

Thanks! Yeah my face felt soft after the mask. I was expecting it to be dry because most things seems to dry my skin out. But I liked it so much I did it again this morning.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 23rd December 2009, 2:48 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:I have not used brahmi alone. I do think you can use it alone unlike some of the other Ayurvedic powders. I typically mix it with other powders--maka, amla and/or kapoor kalchi. I mix them together then add enough water until it's the consistency of pudding. I apply it in sections smooshing it into the roots then to the ends. I leave it on for about 30 minutes. I typically put on a plastic bag to ensure none of it falls out of my hair. I rinse it until no residue then co-wash, apply leave-in and style.

Well, I read a lot of stuff last night. It was a little overwhelming. I did see that some people use it alone. I'd like to use your mix, but they didn't have maka or amla. So...I'm gonna give it a try alone. I just need to decide when. Maybe I'll do it over the weekend.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 24th December 2009, 12:00 am

I couldn't wait to try the brahmi powder, so I used it tonight and did coils. I'll probably never do either again.

Details tomorrow.

Last edited by traveljunkie08 on 27th December 2009, 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed color)
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 24th December 2009, 12:11 am

love the wash n go!!! awesome results!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 24th December 2009, 1:14 am

traveljunkie08 wrote:So, today I was feeling a little lazy and decided to do a wash n go. I pre-poo'd overnight with olive and coconut oils. Then I co-washed and detangled with Giovanni Smooth as Silk. I rinsed that out and applied HE TT, then AfroVeda Sunsilk Oil and shook my head to clump my coils. After that, I scrunched in some HE TT mousse and shook again. Finally I wrapped my hair in a microfiber turban for about an hour, removed it and shook again. It was about 80% dry. This is what it looked like:

**traveljunkie08** Gedc0612

I thought it looked pretty decent and it was really easy to do.

I then went shopping with my mom, sister and nephews. We went to the Global Foods Market. I was in heaven!!! Of course, I picked up some stuff for my hair. I bought:

- Hesh Neem Powder (to try a face mask I saw ChrsLvsBks and Courtie mention)
- Hesh Tulsi Powder (not sure how I'm going to use this yet)
- Hesh Brahmi Powder (not sure how I'm going to use this yet)
- Coconut Creme (will try w/ other stuff as a DC)
- Avocado Oil (will use to pre-poo)
- Swastik Shikakai Soap Bar (will try as a shampoo bar)

I also went to TJ Maxx and Marshall's and bought:
- Natures Gate Aloe Vera Conditioner
- Tulsi Tea (Orange Mint flavor)

I mixed the Tulsi tea (which has tulsi, orange peel, spearmint and hibiscus) with the neem powder and a little honey to make a face mask. I looked like the Incredible Hulk with it on:

**traveljunkie08** Gedc0613

I rinsed it off, then applied Argan oil (which I bought yesterday from Sephora) to my skin. I'll do the mask once or twice a week and see how things go.

Hello there, welcome to the challenge. I am glad you decided to finally join in. Your wash-n-go is what I long for once I BC. And the frames on those glass are hot, knock-offs or not....lol
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next