CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shea Butter

+13
boingboing
crustaceans
RoseNaturalBeauty
divadr175
Marche'
Talisa3636
SheeTacular
sweetdrk1
dajewel
NaturalNurse04
gammainme
*CurlyNikki*
krenea
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Shea Butter Empty Shea Butter

Post by krenea 30th October 2009, 5:26 pm

There are SO many sites online where you can purchase unrefined, raw shea butter. I want the best quality, fresh shea butter, but don't want to pay an arm and a leg for shipping. Has anyone found such a site? I don't live near a place that sells such a wonderful commodity... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
krenea
krenea

Back to top Go down

Shea Butter Empty Re: Shea Butter

Post by *CurlyNikki* 30th October 2009, 5:50 pm

I've heard good things about this site:

http://www.butters-n-bars.com/

check it out and let me know what you think! I'll probably be re-upping my shea butter stock there.
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

http://www.curlynikki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gammainme 30th October 2009, 5:54 pm

ditto on that site
gammainme
gammainme

Back to top Go down

Post by krenea 30th October 2009, 11:37 pm

I [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] this forum! Thanks, girls! All butters at www.buttersnbars.com are 20% off until 10.31.09!

Placed my order for:

All Natural Hair Butters: Grow My Hair

1 lb Unrefined Shea Butter

Brahmi Oil

8 oz Raw African Black Soap

Will review everything after a fair & timely assessment, ladies! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by krenea on 30th October 2009, 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to mention the sale & reasonable shipping cost!)
krenea
krenea

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 30th October 2009, 11:41 pm

woohoo! keep us posted Smile
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

http://www.curlynikki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalNurse04 30th October 2009, 11:55 pm

I purchased shea butter from that site while I was transitioning. I purchased 1 lb of raw unrefined shea butter and I also purchased the sampler pack with 3 scented shea butters (because I didn't really like the scent of the unrefined shea butter). All of the products were wonderful, customer service was excellent, shipping was fast. If shea butter didn't just sit on top of my hair now, I would definately be ordering from butters-n-bars.com again. I do like shea butter for my skin in the winter though....
NaturalNurse04
NaturalNurse04

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 30th October 2009, 11:56 pm

thanks for the info, curlynikki and krenea!! krenea, the link doesn't seem to be working, though.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by krenea 31st October 2009, 12:03 am

Try Nikki's link up there...2nd from the top!
krenea
krenea

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 31st October 2009, 12:05 am

ohh!!! i just realized both links were referring to the same company...geez, am slow!! thanks!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 31st October 2009, 10:07 am

Sad my hair doesn't like the Shea butter yet. It just sits there....hopefully this will change
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 31st October 2009, 11:29 am

sweetdrk1 wrote:Sad my hair doesn't like the Shea butter yet. It just sits there....hopefully this will change

for some reason, my hair is greedy for shea butter...geez....
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 31st October 2009, 11:50 am

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I found shea butter at my neighborhood beauty supply store but the price is always different and they don't always have it. Plus I have been looking for henna and its on this site. I could kiss all of you. MUAH!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 31st October 2009, 9:40 pm

dajewel wrote:
sweetdrk1 wrote:Sad my hair doesn't like the Shea butter yet. It just sits there....hopefully this will change

love the hair!! what did you do?
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by Talisa3636 1st November 2009, 4:57 am

Nasabb I fabulous also although the shipping took a while... then again I made a big order during their 50% sale this summer. Im in absolute love with there shea butter, which is so rich, smells wonderful and loves my skin!! The African Black soap and the Honey Oatmeal soap are also great for clearing up my face and body from acne and eczema. Im a customer for life.

They also have a 15% off coupon sale the code is " fall "!

Last edited by Talisa3636 on 1st November 2009, 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding more details!)
Talisa3636
Talisa3636

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 1st November 2009, 12:51 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:
dajewel wrote:

love the hair!! what did you do?

thank you so much for the compliment, sweetdrk1!!! i actually washed my hair with carol's daughter tui shampoo and dc'd with the tui smoothie/conditioner (like for an hour). washed out and did two strand twists with unrefined shea butter and aloe vera gel. this picture was taken at a party two days after i did this regimen, and i needed to re-do my twists for the party. i didn't have the aloe on hand. so, i re-twisted them with carol's daugher loc butter (i swear that stuff makes the hair POP with shine). i then bobby-pinned my the twists to the sides, back, center and top of my head, so that there were no strands poking out. my inspiration was the following:

http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/10/twa-stylings-of-mallorie.html

http://naturallyleslie.blogspot.com/2009/08/reader-question-my-two-strand-twist.html
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 1st November 2009, 12:52 pm

Talisa3636 wrote:Nasabb I fabulous also although the shipping took a while... then again I made a big order during their 50% sale this summer. Im in absolute love with there shea butter, which is so rich, smells wonderful and loves my skin!! The African Black soap and the Honey Oatmeal soap are also great for clearing up my face and body from acne and eczema. Im a customer for life.

They also have a 15% off coupon sale the code is " fall "!

thanks for the code!!!!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 1st November 2009, 3:43 pm

dajewel wrote:

I used unrefined shea butter for my 2 strand twist. I can't wait to take them down to see the results
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 1st November 2009, 9:16 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:
dajewel wrote:

I used unrefined shea butter for my 2 strand twist. I can't wait to take them down to see the results

you must post results!!! i can't wait to see them!!!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marche' 2nd November 2009, 2:16 am

In spite of all the excellent reviews on raw shea butter for hair, I have not had very good results. It's always really heavy and makes my hair look and feel greasy. I even tried some random mixtures and mimicking the ingredients on the Sheamoisture leave-in (which works very well by the way), but still no great results. I'm not sure if I'm using too much or if its just my hair type. I finally gave up and just use it on my skin. Any suggestions? I want it to work for my hair so bad.
Marche'
Marche'

Back to top Go down

Post by Marche' 11th November 2009, 7:35 pm

So I revisited this shea butter thing because I refuse to be defeated. I made some whipped shea butter with various oils and I got excellent results. I can only use a small amount on each section on damp hair. My hair was super fluffy, shiny, moisturized and I got 3 day hair using this mixture by itself one time. Very exciting.
Marche'
Marche'

Back to top Go down

Post by divadr175 11th November 2009, 7:51 pm

@Marche'- So what did you mix into the butter? I have a bunch of oils at home in a cabinet unused. Maybe this will help me stop buying new stuff and begin using what I have.

Then again, probably not!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
divadr175
divadr175

Back to top Go down

Post by Marche' 11th November 2009, 8:23 pm

divadr175 wrote:@Marche'- So what did you mix into the butter? I have a bunch of oils at home in a cabinet unused. Maybe this will help me stop buying new stuff and begin using what I have.

Then again, probably not!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Let's see...This was kinda spur of the moment so I used some stuff I already had. I dont have specific measurements. Sorry. I do know that it was mostly coconut oil. I also added some olive oil, vitamin e oil, Africa's Best herbal oil, glycerin and orange essential oil for fragrance. Hope this helps.
Marche'
Marche'

Back to top Go down

Post by gammainme 11th November 2009, 8:40 pm

orange as a fragrance sounds like a good idea. i want to use something since i am starting to use this to moisterize my body.
@Marche, do you melt your raw shea butter (hot water, or microwave)and then whip everything into it w/ a mixer?
gammainme
gammainme

Back to top Go down

Post by Marche' 11th November 2009, 11:34 pm

gammainme wrote:orange as a fragrance sounds like a good idea. i want to use something since i am starting to use this to moisterize my body.
@Marche, do you melt your raw shea butter (hot water, or microwave)and then whip everything into it w/ a mixer?

I melted it in the microwave, but not completely just to the point where it's soft enough to easily whip. I then added all the oils except the orange oil. I placed the bowl in a bed of ice while I whipped the mix because I'm impatient and wanted it to hurry up a solidify. This made it extra fluffy. I let the bowl sit in the ice for about two mins, whipped some more then added the orange oil and whipped it some more. Took about 15 mins all together.
Marche'
Marche'

Back to top Go down

Post by gammainme 12th November 2009, 12:15 am

kewl beans- tu!
gammainme
gammainme

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content