CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So I got this here Castor Oil . . .

+20
Umph
Jo Somebody
dajewel
FemmeNaturel
naturalesque
butterfly3000
sydnisd183
.:Eden:.
aliyakeys
PaganWifey
BrownSkinDiva
FalconTress
MissyCee
CarlaAR
tiashaunteƩ
Duchess52
Ambitious_Tiff
Fleur
krazy coils
yldthng
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

So I got this here Castor Oil . . .  Empty So I got this here Castor Oil . . .

Post by yldthng 8th March 2011, 10:09 pm

So, I bought this Castor Oil this weekend, but I haven't really used it yet.

I put some on my hair this morning before I washed it - I just wanted to see how it felt in my hair. Can somebody tell me how the heck I'm 46 years old and ain't know Castor Oil was thick like that? OMG. That was kinda shocking. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It was really thick in my hair, but I swear I think my hair instantly felt softer after I distributed it throughout my hair. After I washed my hair, it didn't really feel any different than normal, but it was only in there for like 2-3 minutes.

I don't know if this is something I can wear in my hair on a daily basis since it's so thick. Tonight, I think I'd like to do some sort of overnight treatment that I'll wash out in the morning.

I've read all the ways I can use it - I'm just wondering how y'all actually do use it?
yldthng
yldthng

Back to top Go down

So I got this here Castor Oil . . .  Empty Re: So I got this here Castor Oil . . .

Post by krazy coils 8th March 2011, 10:23 pm

Castor oil is one of my favorite oils and its definitely thick (lol). I use it to seal my ends when I wear twists or braids. I also add it to deep conditioners or use it as a deep conditioner mixed with Olive Oil. Its really messy when I use it with the Olive Oil with oil dripping everywhere but my hair is always soft afterwards.

I'm not sure if you use gel when you do a wash n go but I would always mix castor oil with whatever leave-in conditioner I used to keep my hair soft under the gel. HTH
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

So I got this here Castor Oil . . .  Empty Re: So I got this here Castor Oil . . .

Post by Fleur 8th March 2011, 10:30 pm

The castor oil is very thick, so I had to improvise. I mix 1 1/2 ounces castor oil, 1/2 oz. avocado oil, and 1/2 oz. EVOO together and put it in an 8 oz. distributor bottle. I line my hair with the oils before applying KCCC or gel. (I don't use a leave-in because I found it to be unnecessary for my hair). The castor oil combo softens any possible crunchiness I may run into when applying curl creams/gels. If you would touch my hair you would pull back non-greasy fingers and feel very soft hair.

Btw, I don't use all of the oil from the bottle at once. It lasts me a good 3 washes.
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by yldthng 8th March 2011, 10:43 pm

Thank you @krazy coils! This is just what I wanted.

So tonight, I'm gonna mix it with my Hello Hydration and sleep with a shower cap under my scarf and wash it out in the morning.

I've only used my Eco-Styler gel a couple times, but I will add it to my leave in the next time and see if that works better.

I've also got this thinner spot at the hairline where my part was. The hair is growing back, but maybe the Castor Oil will speed it up. I think I'll start massaging it on there at least once a day.

Thanks @Fleur - another great idea! One question though - when you say you line your hair - what do you mean?

I don't have avocado oil - do you think I could use coconut oil in place of the avocado?

yldthng
yldthng

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur 8th March 2011, 11:15 pm

I use the distributor/applicator bottle with the pointy tip to apply oil to my hair-- I don't use my fingers. I just part my hair horizontally and apply oil along the part, but not on my scalp. Then I would massage that oil down the hair shaft from root to tip. I really recommend using an applicator bottle when dealing with oils. Your bathroom sink, countertop, and clothes will thank you, lol.
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by yldthng 8th March 2011, 11:31 pm

OK, that's kinda what I thought you were talking about - like how you base your scalp before a relaxer - only you're saying not on the scalp - on the hair only.

I've read some people say they put it on their scalp and others say they don't. Why is that? Is it because it clogs the pores? Or is there another reason?
yldthng
yldthng

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 8th March 2011, 11:46 pm

I use Castor Oil on my scalp and I love it! It really helps keep my dandruff at bay. When I first started using it my hair had a nice little growth spurt. Very Happy
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Duchess52 8th March 2011, 11:56 pm

I only use Castor oil in combination with Olive oil and Coconut oil as a pre-poo or in my spritz bottle.
Duchess52
Duchess52

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur 9th March 2011, 12:04 am

Yldthng, I don't know why others do it but I don't because I already produce a decent amount of sebum already so adding oil would just leave my scalp yucky. Also, I found out that when even the smallest amount of oil was applied along my scalp, it ran down from my scalp and down my face and neck.
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteĆ© 9th March 2011, 12:15 am

I use Castor oil on my scalp. It's the only product that I apply directly to my scalp.
tiashaunteƩ
tiashaunteƩ

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur 9th March 2011, 12:26 am

There you go. Some like it on the scalp and some don't. It's a definitely an individual preference. I'm sure you'll figure it out just fine. Very Happy
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by yldthng 9th March 2011, 1:40 am

Fleur wrote:There you go. Some like it on the scalp and some don't. It's a definitely an individual preference. I'm sure you'll figure it out just fine. Very Happy

Perfect! I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be stunting growth - I don't want to do anything that's gonna cause this TWA not to fill out.

I probably haven't put any oil on my scalp in 20 years - relaxed, I just used oil sheen or serum on my hair.

@Ambitious_Tiff - Girl, I can use a little growth spurt!

@Duchess52 - Thank you!

@tiashaunteƩ - Thank you!
yldthng
yldthng

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 9th March 2011, 2:03 pm

I usually mix the castor oil 50/50 with another oil such as jojoba, almond, olive, etc. I usually use it as a pre-poo (at times with coconut oil) and I may thin it out a little more and use it as a sealer. I use about 1-2 drops per section. I add EO or sometimes fragrance oil (love fruity) to my mix to make it a little more exciting.

I do apply it directly on my scalp, but I do that more with Jamaica black castor oil which is thinner in consistency.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyCee 9th March 2011, 2:19 pm

Hey, I've been using it in a Castor Oil Challenge since december on my scalp. Oiling my scalp almost every other day, when I remember. I have heard it helps hair growth. With me it started filling in my thin spots. I was at first upset when we monthly reported our growth then realized that mine was filling in. Now it's much fuller and growing. I still use it on my scalp. I've had about 2 inches growth since December. And I am also 46. It won't stunt growth and I oil my scalp at night, put on my cap and it doesn't run all over the place. I have noticed it does run if I put it on during the day time maybe cause I'm more active or something. Hope that helps!!!
MissyCee
MissyCee

Back to top Go down

Post by yldthng 9th March 2011, 2:43 pm

Thank you @MissyCee!

I used it last night mixed with my HEHH conditioner and slept with a bag on my head to hold the heat in. When I got in the shower this morning, I didn't wash my hair, I just rinsed it real good, and then did a conditioner rinse. I think I probably should have washed it out though because my hair feels oiler than normal, and my curls are different too. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I can tell you what though - I'm stopping by the hair supply store on the way home because I need a couple of those applicator bottles for dealing with these oils. These suckers are messy as all get out.
yldthng
yldthng

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 9th March 2011, 5:18 pm

I use it as an ingredient in the Kim Love (kimmaytube) leave-in recipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXi2k4cFFhI

Last edited by FalconTress on 9th March 2011, 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct typo)

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 9th March 2011, 5:37 pm

I add my castor oil to two things, my leave in mix and my oil mix that i use to massage my scalp weekly.
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 9th March 2011, 6:49 pm

I put it on my scalp because it's really dry. It generally works it's way down my hair shaft. I want to try whipping it with a blender to see if that will get even thicker (like a grease or a paste) so it's easier to apply to my scalp.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by aliyakeys 9th March 2011, 7:27 pm

I have Africa's Best Herbal Oil and it has some Castor Seed Oil in the ingredients. So when I'm about to use this, first I moisturize my hair with olive oil hair lotion and then every other day, after I put on the olive oil hair lotion, I rub the Herbal Oil through my hair. Smile I try to do this a few times a week because I heard that Castor Oil helps the hair grow.
aliyakeys
aliyakeys

https://www.youtube.com/user/ikimonogakari2?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post by .:Eden:. 9th March 2011, 7:36 pm

I love castor oil to seal my hair, but only in the summer months. It is a humectant so I stay away from it in the winter.

http://members.fotki.com/jhippolyte/about

Back to top Go down

Post by sydnisd183 9th March 2011, 8:59 pm

I'm currently using it in the kimmaytube leave in, and also whipped with shea butter.

my mom used to make us take a spoon of castor oil once a month back in the day (i'm 46 too) and i also had no idea it could be used in the hair as well Shocked
sydnisd183
sydnisd183

Back to top Go down

Post by yldthng 10th March 2011, 1:20 am

@FalconTress - Thanks for that!

@BrownSkinDiva - Thank you!

@PagenWifey - You need to get one of those applicator bottles. @Fleur mentioned it yesterday, and I stopped on the way home today. WAY easier to deal with oils - no mess.

@aliyakeys - I have some of that too! It actually has several oils in it. I really like it. I used it when I was relaxed too.

@sydnisd183 - I can remember my mom talking about Castor Oil in my childhood - and I remember that people took it like cough syrup (not for a cough - but with a teaspoon). And I don't ever recall taking it. I remember my mother always saying it was nasty. Dealing with it these last couple of days, I can't imagine actually having to ingest that.
yldthng
yldthng

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfly3000 10th March 2011, 2:15 pm

I use it regularly in my Kimmay Leave-in but this week I've been sealing with a mixture of Castor/Jojoba/KCNT after spraying with water and I like the results. Its basically Kimmay Leave-In minus the AVG. I haven't really been up to maintaining a twist/braid out style this week so I've just been rockin' a coily afro with some pins here and there for style and I like my simple morning routine of water, sealant, fluff and go!
butterfly3000
butterfly3000

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalesque 11th March 2011, 11:35 am

I generally use it on wash days as a sealer, after I apply my leave-in conditioner. It has been great for my hair this winter.

Oh, and I use the Jamaican Black Castor Oil.
naturalesque
naturalesque

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfly3000 11th March 2011, 12:18 pm

Yeah this winter has been rough on my hair. I'm kind of mad at myself for not using castor more frequently over the winter because this week my hair has been feeling lovely. But its all a fun learning process. sunny
butterfly3000
butterfly3000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next