CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I dont know what works for my hair!

+6
ajsimmons8
SwanLakeLibra
krazy coils
Lynnieluve
Atasteofcaramel
thetiffany
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I dont know what works for my hair! Empty I dont know what works for my hair!

Post by thetiffany 28th February 2011, 12:36 am

I have been "tweeking" my products lately because I would like to, at some point wear "out" styles. Heres my problem, I don't use a lot of products and the result is dry hair the next day, if I am generous with applying products , then my hair is stiff, heavy, yet still coarse and not soft at all.

I am beginning to think that my hair just needs to constantly be wet and saturated with conditioner to feel nice Sad Once it dries its as if I didn't do any detangling or moisturizing.

I can say that when I take two strand twist out after a few days, sometimes my hair feels sorta "ok"

has anyone been through this stage or have any advice? I seriously think that my hair will never be compatible with an "out" style. Funny thing is I can acheive the definition, but I want the "feel" and movement too. Maybe my hair is just better left in two strand twist.... they never let me down confused
thetiffany
thetiffany

http://embracingmycurly.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

I dont know what works for my hair! Empty Re: I dont know what works for my hair!

Post by Atasteofcaramel 28th February 2011, 12:05 pm

I had this issue also. when you are wearing you hair out bfore you apply the produt apply some type of oil to your hair then the product. This will help it from feeling like your hair is hard and or dry. Also sleep with a bonnet on that will help keep the moistuer in .

HTH
Atasteofcaramel
Atasteofcaramel

Back to top Go down

I dont know what works for my hair! Empty Re: I dont know what works for my hair!

Post by Lynnieluve 28th February 2011, 12:50 pm

I would suggest using Chicoro's moisturizing method if you are not doing it already.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by thetiffany 28th February 2011, 1:28 pm

Thanks ladies! Lynnie, what is this method? I'm gonna Google it. Btw, nice profile pic!
thetiffany
thetiffany

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 28th February 2011, 4:00 pm

Thanks thetiffany!!

You apply water-based product, oil based then your moisturizer.

I usually apply my leave in conditioner, oil of my choice then my styler.....most of my stylers double as a moisturizer.

I've found that applying my leave in and oil only causes me to have to moisturize daily.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by thetiffany 28th February 2011, 4:33 pm

Ok Lynnie, by water based......do you mean water as the first ingredient? I usually do what you described. Apply my leave in then an oil and whatever my styler will be. I guess I need to change products..... thanks again
thetiffany
thetiffany

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 28th February 2011, 4:40 pm

yes That's what I mean. Sounds like you do.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 28th February 2011, 4:41 pm

What products are you currently using right now?
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by thetiffany 28th February 2011, 5:38 pm

Hey KC, I use HE hello hydration to cowash/detangle. I use giovanni direct leave in and Africa Best Herbal oil as my oil. To style sometimes I don't add anything if my hair is still damp since I only do two strand twist. But if I am using a styler, I have shea moisture curl enhancing smothie, or cantu shea butter to twist
thetiffany
thetiffany

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 28th February 2011, 7:18 pm

thetiffany wrote:Hey KC, I use HE hello hydration to cowash/detangle. I use giovanni direct leave in and Africa Best Herbal oil as my oil. To style sometimes I don't add anything if my hair is still damp since I only do two strand twist. But if I am using a styler, I have shea moisture curl enhancing smothie, or cantu shea butter to twist

It seems that you're using the correct method to apply your products to keep your hair moisturized so maybe its the actual products. Have you used any other leave-in conditioner in your regimen besides the Giovanni Direct? It seems to be hit or miss with some naturals, some people love it some people don't. If you have a different leave-in conditioner or moisturizer to use I would experiment and see if your hair feels different or more moisturized than it does when you use the Giovanni. Does your hair feel moistuized when you add the stylers to your regimen? Also how long do you leave your twists in before you wear a twistout? Sometimes you can keep more moisture in if you wear them a little longer.
krazy coils
krazy coils

Back to top Go down

Post by SwanLakeLibra 28th February 2011, 8:03 pm

I tried the co-wash thing for a couple of months and it seems like it worked for a time; however, I soon learned that it did not work for MY HAIR. I had to go back to using shampoo (non-sulfate of course). The co-washing in addition to products laden with protein made my hair dry regardless. I did my hair just like Lynnie did with the whole water-based moisturizer, oil sealant, styler routine but I could not get through the lunch without having to spritz my hair.

I agree with you that you MIGHT need to change your products. My hair loves water but it also loves heavy creams but low on proteins or at least certain types of proteins. So I had to find products or a product line that could accomplish that for me and did not cost me an arm or leg. I "finally" found that line and I was surprise to say the least. Because I did not think I could find a shampoo, deep conditioner, leave-in, and styler from one line and not be broke. The SheaMoisture line (Raw SheaButter gold label), is my holy grail, the search is over. From the shampoo to the creamy styler, it has been hair heaven. I have been using the line for about 3 weeks now. Their styler the Curl Smoothie from the [SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibucus (sp) line] I use to twists. I use no other products with the line just to be sure that it is working. Some products do not play well with others and I have heard that Cantu SheaButter is one of them.

I shampoo, deep condition, leave-in, oil seal and styler once a week and I moisturize/seal (I workout must moisturize afterwards) now once a day before bed and put on the satin scarf and that's it. I've been working out 5 to 6 days a week since January and I have not had a problem with dryness since I began using their line. I've been able to retain moisture and my hair (4a/4b hair) feels cottony soft.

The HEHH conditioner has "cones" in it, so you need to find a way to clarify your hair, whether its with a non sulfate shampoo or baking soda/ACV rinse. Your dryness might just be build-up and you might not need to change products but just clarify more often.

Also, do you know if you are protein sensitive? The GDL conditioner has protein in it (Soybean is a protein). Check to see how many of your products contain protein. CN has a list of the most common ones.

Lastly, does your products and if so how many contains glycerine in them, that too plays a factor. I did not pay attention to where you live, but this being winter can cause moisture retention problems. I live in Houston, Texas and I have to be careful and I live in the South.

Just wanted to give you somethings to consider. Finding the rights products and routine can be frustrating but hang in there.

thetiffany wrote:Hey KC, I use HE hello hydration to cowash/detangle. I use giovanni direct leave in and Africa Best Herbal oil as my oil. To style sometimes I don't add anything if my hair is still damp since I only do two strand twist. But if I am using a styler, I have shea moisture curl enhancing smothie, or cantu shea butter to twist
SwanLakeLibra
SwanLakeLibra

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 28th February 2011, 9:06 pm

In addition to the suggestions by Swan, the shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie has glycerin in it which I discovered while using it when it got cold here in Florida. My hair became very dry and i couldn't figure out why until I did an ingredient check on all of of the products I was using. Glycerin in cold climates can definitely make your hair dry.
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by thetiffany 1st March 2011, 12:40 am

SwanLakeLibra wrote:I tried the co-wash thing for a couple of months and it seems like it worked for a time; however, I soon learned that it did not work for MY HAIR. I had to go back to using shampoo (non-sulfate of course). The co-washing in addition to products laden with protein made my hair dry regardless. I did my hair just like Lynnie did with the whole water-based moisturizer, oil sealant, styler routine but I could not get through the lunch without having to spritz my hair.

I agree with you that you MIGHT need to change your products. My hair loves water but it also loves heavy creams but low on proteins or at least certain types of proteins. So I had to find products or a product line that could accomplish that for me and did not cost me an arm or leg. I "finally" found that line and I was surprise to say the least. Because I did not think I could find a shampoo, deep conditioner, leave-in, and styler from one line and not be broke. The SheaMoisture line (Raw SheaButter gold label), is my holy grail, the search is over. From the shampoo to the creamy styler, it has been hair heaven. I have been using the line for about 3 weeks now. Their styler the Curl Smoothie from the [SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibucus (sp) line] I use to twists. I use no other products with the line just to be sure that it is working. Some products do not play well with others and I have heard that Cantu SheaButter is one of them.

I shampoo, deep condition, leave-in, oil seal and styler once a week and I moisturize/seal (I workout must moisturize afterwards) now once a day before bed and put on the satin scarf and that's it. I've been working out 5 to 6 days a week since January and I have not had a problem with dryness since I began using their line. I've been able to retain moisture and my hair (4a/4b hair) feels cottony soft.

The HEHH conditioner has "cones" in it, so you need to find a way to clarify your hair, whether its with a non sulfate shampoo or baking soda/ACV rinse. Your dryness might just be build-up and you might not need to change products but just clarify more often.

Also, do you know if you are protein sensitive? The GDL conditioner has protein in it (Soybean is a protein). Check to see how many of your products contain protein. CN has a list of the most common ones.

Lastly, does your products and if so how many contains glycerine in them, that too plays a factor. I did not pay attention to where you live, but this being winter can cause moisture retention problems. I live in Houston, Texas and I have to be careful and I live in the South.

Just wanted to give you somethings to consider. Finding the rights products and routine can be frustrating but hang in there.

thanks so much! I actually started shampooing more often than in the past. i began thinking i may have a product build up issue. last night i shampooed with giovanni and my ahir was literally squeaky clean, i still have the same issue with dryness/stiffness.
you have provided some great advice and i will defintely try some of your suggesstions
thetiffany
thetiffany

Back to top Go down

Post by thetiffany 1st March 2011, 12:41 am

ajsimmons8 wrote:In addition to the suggestions by Swan, the shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie has glycerin in it which I discovered while using it when it got cold here in Florida. My hair became very dry and i couldn't figure out why until I did an ingredient check on all of of the products I was using. Glycerin in cold climates can definitely make your hair dry.

thanks, i have shea moisture smoothie and even during the warmer months my hair didnt respond to it long term. i dont use it to often
thetiffany
thetiffany

Back to top Go down

Post by thetiffany 1st March 2011, 12:45 am

krazy coils wrote:

It seems that you're using the correct method to apply your products to keep your hair moisturized so maybe its the actual products. Have you used any other leave-in conditioner in your regimen besides the Giovanni Direct? It seems to be hit or miss with some naturals, some people love it some people don't. If you have a different leave-in conditioner or moisturizer to use I would experiment and see if your hair feels different or more moisturized than it does when you use the Giovanni. Does your hair feel moistuized when you add the stylers to your regimen? Also how long do you leave your twists in before you wear a twistout? Sometimes you can keep more moisture in if you wear them a little longer.

KC thats the thing, my hair feels great when saturated with water and conditioner. I always have high hopes thinking my hair will dry the way it feels when wet. as far as styling, i werar my hair in two strand twist as a style, when i do twist outs, its usally on 2 week old twist right before i am going to wash my hair. i don't always add stylers either, because i don't like my hair to feel loaded with product, if i do use a styler its usally in small amounts
thetiffany
thetiffany

Back to top Go down

Post by meepmeep1101 1st March 2011, 12:50 am

you can try something thicker, like shea butter. And do you style your hair while it is wet?
meepmeep1101
meepmeep1101

Back to top Go down

Post by thetiffany 1st March 2011, 12:55 am

meepmeep1101 wrote:you can try something thicker, like shea butter. And do you style your hair while it is wet?

i just bought some shea butter, but i dont know how to use it lol. you made a light bulb go off in my head, lol. i haven't styled my hair wet in months! i have been air drying overnight and then styling the next day or on damp-dry hair. i think i may try wet styling again! thanks!
thetiffany
thetiffany

Back to top Go down

Post by meepmeep1101 1st March 2011, 12:59 am

thetiffany wrote:
meepmeep1101 wrote:you can try something thicker, like shea butter. And do you style your hair while it is wet?

i just bought some shea butter, but i dont know how to use it lol. you made a light bulb go off in my head, lol. i haven't styled my hair wet in months! i have been air drying overnight and then styling the next day or on damp-dry hair. i think i may try wet styling again! thanks!

I asked becuz when I style on dry hair, its never the same. eVEn if i rewet it. It has to be straight from wash. lol. I cowash, section, detangle, leave in, then shea butter right before i twist. no a lot. but it trial an error. u but too much and it feels really greasy, but if u put just enough, it feels moisturized.
meepmeep1101
meepmeep1101

Back to top Go down

Post by SwanLakeLibra 1st March 2011, 1:03 am

As ajsimmons8 & I stated earlier regarding the effects of glycerine in the winter; have checked to see if your products have glycerine in them? I see that you are in PA which I know had severe snow and freezing temps the last couple of months. Any glycerine right now would be disasterous, so the (SheaMoisture Smoothie) would not be advisable. I live in Texas, so I can get away with it a little but I only use it once a week for 2-strand twist but my hair is sealed with castor/coconut oil.

Also, what about proteins do your products contain any and if so, how many products contain them?

What do you use to shampoo? And do you follow up with a leave-in and what oils do you use to seal your hair?
SwanLakeLibra
SwanLakeLibra

Back to top Go down

Post by thetiffany 1st March 2011, 1:24 am

SwanLakeLibra wrote:As ajsimmons8 & I stated earlier regarding the effects of glycerine in the winter; have checked to see if your products have glycerine in them? I see that you are in PA which I know had severe snow and freezing temps the last couple of months. Any glycerine right now would be disasterous, so the (SheaMoisture Smoothie) would not be advisable. I live in Texas, so I can get away with it a little but I only use it once a week for 2-strand twist but my hair is sealed with castor/coconut oil.

Also, what about proteins do your products contain any and if so, how many products contain them?

What do you use to shampoo? And do you follow up with a leave-in and what oils do you use to seal your hair?

im not sure about the protein.... i would have to check all my products. im sure they have protein in it since it seems like a common ingredient? to shampoo, i have been using pantene R& N, i had been, i always use a leave in and oils, but i dont deep condition
thetiffany
thetiffany

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee 1st March 2011, 1:34 am

@thetiffany, check out www.livecurlylivefree.com to determine the porosity and texture of your hair in order to figure what products work best.

It sounds like we are having the same issue. Lately, my ends have felt extremely dry and feels hard to the touch. I'm eliminating products from my routine because I find the less products I use, the better. The best thing that has worked for me in the past is a spritz with water, EVCO and lavender oil, followed up by EVCO on the ends. I think I will be going back to that to see if that helps.

Question: Do you all use a spritz for stretched styles too. If I put a drop of water to my hair right now, my style will go bye bye...any suggestions?
________________________________________________________________________________
Chicken and Christians
MelMelBee
MelMelBee

http://www.experiencestmattsumc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SwanLakeLibra 1st March 2011, 1:52 am

I believe the Pantene R&N shampoo has sulfates and they do strip the hair. Also, check the bottle too see if it contains glycerine. I know you use Giovanni Direct Leave-In; so have you thought about using one of their shampoos, such as the Tea Tree, 50:50 and/or Smooth as Silk. They do not contain sulfates but I am not sure about glycerine. Also, try adding weekly deep conditioning treatments and/or hot oil treatments; this will help with the moisture retention.

I know that we use certain products with success and do not like to change but sometimes our hair just doesn't react the same after a while. Consider trying a different shampoo that is sulfate free. Also another option is to dilute your shampoo in a bottle with a spout (see today's post on CN.com).

I know the frustration, it "only" took me 22 months, which included 2 BC's and PJism to figure out what my hair likes and dislikes and finding the right products and regimen for her. Now, I can say that I have found my KISS system regarding my hair.

thetiffany wrote:
SwanLakeLibra wrote:As ajsimmons8 & I stated earlier regarding the effects of glycerine in the winter; have checked to see if your products have glycerine in them? I see that you are in PA which I know had severe snow and freezing temps the last couple of months. Any glycerine right now would be disasterous, so the (SheaMoisture Smoothie) would not be advisable. I live in Texas, so I can get away with it a little but I only use it once a week for 2-strand twist but my hair is sealed with castor/coconut oil.

im not sure about the protein.... i would have to check all my products. im sure they have protein in it since it seems like a common ingredient? to shampoo, i have been using pantene R& N, i had been, i always use a leave in and oils, but i dont deep condition
SwanLakeLibra
SwanLakeLibra

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 1st March 2011, 8:57 am

thetiffany wrote:
krazy coils wrote:

KC thats the thing, my hair feels great when saturated with water and conditioner. I always have high hopes thinking my hair will dry the way it feels when wet. as far as styling, i werar my hair in two strand twist as a style, when i do twist outs, its usally on 2 week old twist right before i am going to wash my hair. i don't always add stylers either, because i don't like my hair to feel loaded with product, if i do use a styler its usally in small amounts

Since you are keep your twists in and wearing them as a style, make sure you moisturize them. When I wear twists as a style I spray them at night with either a spray leave-in conditioner or just water and lightly rub a creamy moisturizer on your twists concentrating on the ends. This helps to keep your hair moisturized so that its not dry once you remove the twists and wear a twist out.
krazy coils
krazy coils

Back to top Go down

Post by thetiffany 1st March 2011, 9:59 am

KC- I usually mist my twist, but I forget to do it daily. I also havent found the right mixture.

Swanlake= the pantente R & N has never let me down, lol it smells great and leaves my hair feeling clean and not stripped. I did try giovanni smooth as silk shampoo and it wasnt really any different than my pantene. it left my hair squeaky clean lol that was a first. I will find a shampoo without sulfates, parabens, glyecerin, etc and give it a go. it may jus be the ingredients that are not good for my hair

MelMelB- thanks so much for the link, i will check it out. regarding misting out syles, i dont unless its at night and i can stretch it overnight. if i mist an "outsyle" it will curl up

thanks again everyone, i apologize for the spelling/grammar. lol i wanted to respond but i am kinda in a rush to get my daughter off to preschool lol
thetiffany
thetiffany

Back to top Go down

Post by KurlyKK143 1st March 2011, 10:19 am

Styling your hair wet makes a huge difference! I use shea butter mixed with a few essential oils. I also make my own gel out of flaxseeds. Im still learning too but ur hair is long, thick, and pretty! Good luck!
KurlyKK143
KurlyKK143

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next