CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

overmoisturized hair

+3
lena73
tshala
raina
7 posters

Go down

overmoisturized hair Empty overmoisturized hair

Post by raina 8th December 2009, 1:36 am

I am having a hard time keeping a balance between moisture and protein.Its hard to keep a balance. I tend to overmoisturize my hair, never thought i would see the day!Does anyone else have this problem? What type of conditioners do you use? I use aohr maybe i need to use something lighter. I can use some protein but not a lot.
raina
raina

Back to top Go down

overmoisturized hair Empty Re: overmoisturized hair

Post by tshala 9th December 2009, 7:23 am

Hi raina,

though I love AHSR to death I, too had the same experience with it. I tend to be too heavy-handed and used too much product (here, a little goes a looong way).
What helped a lot was clarifying my hair with a rhassoul earth mud pack (just mixing up some rhassoul with water and the eo of my choice, usually ylang ylang for some shine) , using less product/dilute with water before applying and even take a weeklong break from my beloved hsr. I have also good results with giovanni direct leave in conditioner. HTH
tshala
tshala

Back to top Go down

Post by lena73 9th December 2009, 8:11 am

whats AHSR?
lena73
lena73

http://public.fotki.com/Sharita73/

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 9th December 2009, 9:10 am

What does overmoistured hair feel like?
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by tshala 9th December 2009, 7:13 pm

sorry, I meant AOHSR (Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose) [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
tshala
tshala

Back to top Go down

Post by lena73 9th December 2009, 8:46 pm

I really would like to try Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose - I hear so much about it.
My hair is insanely dry sometimes, I am just looking for something that will keep it moisturized.
lena73
lena73

http://public.fotki.com/Sharita73/

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 9th December 2009, 9:44 pm

Intelligentbeauty wrote:What does overmoistured hair feel like?

If hair is overmoisturized it will be limp. A good way to test is by taking shed strands and doing the snap test. Pull the strand and if it breaks quickly, it is in need of moisture. If it breaks and makes a "snap" sound, you have a good balance of moisture and protein. If the hair stretches and doesn't bounce back, protein is needed. This is what people mean when they talk about elasticity. Good elasticity is when you pull your curl and it springs up about 50%.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 10th December 2009, 3:24 am

thanks chrslvsbks
I actually read Curly Nikki explaining about the "snap" you hear to test hair health.
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by raina 10th December 2009, 12:39 pm

Hi I think i will have to stop using aohr or aleast cut down on it. I am heavy handed with products, but I am finding that i dont need as much.I have aubrey organics glycogen protein conditioner. Its a light protein conditioner. I will try using that sometimes. I have always wanted to try giovanni direct leave in maybe I will try that. I have cutdown on cowashing to once a week and I was cowashing with aohr so maybe its just too much for my hair now. Thanks for responding!
raina
raina

Back to top Go down

Post by brwnbarbie24 10th December 2009, 12:54 pm

Mine made the snap sound! YAY! Lol
brwnbarbie24
brwnbarbie24

https://www.youtube.com/brwnbarbie24

Back to top Go down

Post by raina 10th December 2009, 12:57 pm

@Oshunista where do you get the rhassoul clay from? Is it like Bentonite clay? @ Lena you should try aohr its very moisturizing lol. @ Chrs you explained the moisture protein balance very well. I def need to add some protein to my hair I dont need a heavy protein treatment but i need some. This is my problem trying to find some middle ground. (I wanted to respond to you all but forgot what you all said thats why i posted twice lol)
raina
raina

Back to top Go down

overmoisturized hair Empty Recommend Protein Conditioners - Light and Not so Light

Post by ChrsLvsBks 10th December 2009, 2:13 pm

Protein conditioners I like are Giovanni's Smooth as Silk, Aubrey Organic's GPB and Island Naturals and Suave's Coconut conditioner. I sometimes mix moisturizing and protein conditioners when I cannot remember what I did the week or weeks before.

When I first found out how to care for my natural hair, I would use mayonnaise and egg. I would use about 1/2 mayo and an egg. I would mix then apply to my entire head. I would put on a plastic bag and let it sit for 30 or so minutes. I would rinse with cool water to try not to let the egg curdle as I rinsed. Follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tshala 10th December 2009, 7:54 pm

@raina: i get mine at the organic grocery store (but I live in germany). I found this site
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/rhassoul.php
and as far as I know from other forums their products are very good. Rhassoul is not the same as bentonite clay ( the word rhassoul simply means "washing"). It can bind toxins from the scalp, remove build up and excess oils without stripping the hair dry. I would not use it on regular base ( it is more for oily hair) but it is my first choice if I have to clarify. You can find more detailled information on the mountain rose site.
If you want some extra hair TLC go over to www.anitagrant.com and treat yoursef with her rhassoul deep condish (insane mix of rhassoul, coca butter an some other goodies, best dc I ever had!!!) . The ultimate hair spa event, so to say [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .
Ms Empress Ri had a review https://www.youtube.com/user/richeau#p/u/73/Nl3Y9LS4wzY
tshala
tshala

Back to top Go down

Post by Pi*Jay 11th December 2009, 1:00 pm

raina wrote:I am having a hard time keeping a balance between moisture and protein.Its hard to keep a balance. I tend to overmoisturize my hair, never thought i would see the day!Does anyone else have this problem? What type of conditioners do you use? I use aohr maybe i need to use something lighter. I can use some protein but not a lot.

Overmoisurize?? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I didnt know there was a such thing! I'm having problems with retaining moisture... what are you doing for moisture?
Pi*Jay
Pi*Jay

Back to top Go down

Post by raina 11th December 2009, 1:56 pm

Thank you Chrys and Oshunista both of your suggestions will help alot! I have the GPconditioner and the island one too but I didnt use those as much and I have always wanted to try Anita grants products.I did a henna treatment yesterday and my hair feels so much better, stronger and i didnt have to do a deep treatment . I was afraid to anyway , but my hair felt too soft like I didnt need it. Thanks again ladies!
raina
raina

Back to top Go down

Post by raina 12th December 2009, 5:09 am

@ PiJay there is a good article on moisture protein balance by Tiffany the Hair whisperer. Also there is a link on another post .I dont know how to post the link but the article is excellent on this subject. The other thread is called protein its under the general hair discussion.I have been using aubrey organics honeysuckle rose to cowash with and also as a leave in . I need to use a conditioner with some protein in it because my hair had lost some of its elasticity usually my curls are very springy.We all have to find the right balance for our hair. I wasnt using any added protein and my hair needs some.
raina
raina

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down