CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is henna that big of a mess???

+4
Madeaj
tpayne22
cluelesscurl
rayray19
8 posters

Go down

Is henna that big of a mess??? Empty Is henna that big of a mess???

Post by rayray19 21st January 2011, 7:27 pm

so i stumbled upon some henna and indigo at an Indian market!! But the problem is im at school..im scared to do the process here because I share a bathroom with my roommates and i would hate to mess it up with my henna and indigo mess!! annnnd I would also hate for that stuff to stain the bathroom (which means i have to pay for some repairs)

so should i wait until i go home to henna and indigo?? or is the application really not that big of a mess??
I really miss my jet black hair!! I want to do it sooo bad lol
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Is henna that big of a mess??? Empty Re: Is henna that big of a mess???

Post by cluelesscurl 21st January 2011, 7:57 pm

Yes it can be messy what I do is wear gloves, scatter newspaper on the floor, put an old tshirt on and still with all that preparedness I still somehow manage to get something stained because some henna fall out of nowhere

cluelesscurl

Back to top Go down

Post by tpayne22 21st January 2011, 10:32 pm

Yes it is a mess. Ugh but to minimize that I just put down some newspaper and sit on the ground to do it with mirror in front of me. It keeps stuff from flinging everywhere. It gets on your legs a bit but I just use a old towel and drape it. So my clean up was real easy and none got on my carpet or walls
tpayne22
tpayne22

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 21st January 2011, 10:50 pm

I am still finding little pindrops from my first henna, that I thought I cleaned up. No

Last time I applied my henna in the shower. I put a kitchen stool in the shower, wore my oldest clothes, closed the shower door and applied the henna. When I was done. I just rinsed the shower. From now on, this is how I do henna. Although when the weather gets better, I'd like to do it outside. lol!
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 21st January 2011, 11:24 pm

wow that bad huh?? I might just wait till i get home
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 21st January 2011, 11:28 pm

RayRay, you could do a henna gloss. That wasn't as messy. Or get some of the plastic cones that henna artists use to apply henna to skin. That might make it less messy. Henna is good for the scalp AND it doesn't matter how long you take to apply it.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by queenshakirah 22nd January 2011, 12:22 am

I never had any problems with henna. I mix mine with green tea and honey and I never had to put down newspaper or anything. Indigo however, was an absolute mess!!
queenshakirah
queenshakirah

Back to top Go down

Post by cluelesscurl 22nd January 2011, 12:34 am

@Queen you mind sharing the recipe

cluelesscurl

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 22nd January 2011, 11:33 am

I agree, a henna gloss would be great for you. It's less mess and easy to apply.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by queenshakirah 22nd January 2011, 12:14 pm

I mix 100 g of henna with as much warm strong lemon green tea as it takes to make it the consistency of mashed potatoes. I let it sit for a few hours then add enough raw honey to make it the consistency of pudding. If I ever use indigo again, I'll probably mix it with the henna bc by itself it sprinkles blue stuff everywhere.
queenshakirah
queenshakirah

Back to top Go down

Post by cluelesscurl 22nd January 2011, 12:34 pm

Thanks

cluelesscurl

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 22nd January 2011, 2:22 pm

can i do a henna gloss and a indigo treatment?
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 22nd January 2011, 2:43 pm

Hi RayRay

Here is a video from the Henna for Hair site on using henna and indigo to dye your hair.

Hope this helps. I think you should put down a hundred newspapers, wear your oldest clothes and go for it. cheers
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by queenshakirah 22nd January 2011, 2:52 pm

I haven't tried the gloss yet but I don't see why it would make a big difference as far as using indigo after. All you really need is for your hair to pick up the color and nikki says her henna gloss still turns her hair reddish. When I used indigo after henna (separate application) my hair turned dark brown. Maybe I didn't leave it on long enough...
queenshakirah
queenshakirah

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 22nd January 2011, 3:06 pm

maybe its just me but i didnt think it was that big of a mess. more time consuming than anything! To me it was like applying a boxed perm to your head. the first time i did the whole news paper thing and after that i didnt even bother. the consistency of my mix (powder, coconut milk, evoo) was that of a... clay maybe, not a pudding, not watery, not really loose. Thick enough if i gathered some in my hand and turned my palm upside down it would "plop" but not drip, spray, or sprinkle everywhere.

if you gather the supplies you need and have them nearby its not big of a deal. paper towels, old wet rag/washcloth, i use the black re-usable gloves from sally's. when you do the initial mix use a big enough bowl where you have room to stir without spilling maybe do this part with the bowl on some news paper. i apply mines standing in the mirror and if some drops somewhere use the paper towel to remove the glob and wipe with wet rag immediately and thats it! if youre that worried buy a dark colored towel from walmart and stand on it while applying incase some falls below. prior to leaving the bathroom i rinse my hands with gloves still on, place top on bowl (for freezer) and rinse/wipe the outside, contain your hair (i use saran wrap, then baggie, then head band), dispose of any used paper towel/newspaper, rinse gloves again, wipe shoulder and chest area (my hair is long) and im done until the rinsing process begins.
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 22nd January 2011, 3:17 pm

BlkBeauty is right. When I did my first henna I used a gel mixture that I made. It was a bit loose rather than thick like clay. According the henna for hair sites, the henna should be the consistancy of thick mashed potatoes or clay. If you use Blkbeauty's method, there shouldn't be too much splashing.
Looking at the video, the indigo mixed right is a nice thick consistancy and does not look like it would splash everywhere. Try blkBeauty's method.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 22nd January 2011, 4:51 pm

blkbeauty2010 wrote:maybe its just me but i didnt think it was that big of a mess. more time consuming than anything! To me it was like applying a boxed perm to your head. the first time i did the whole news paper thing and after that i didnt even bother. the consistency of my mix (powder, coconut milk, evoo) was that of a... clay maybe, not a pudding, not watery, not really loose. Thick enough if i gathered some in my hand and turned my palm upside down it would "plop" but not drip, spray, or sprinkle everywhere.

if you gather the supplies you need and have them nearby its not big of a deal. paper towels, old wet rag/washcloth, i use the black re-usable gloves from sally's. when you do the initial mix use a big enough bowl where you have room to stir without spilling maybe do this part with the bowl on some news paper. i apply mines standing in the mirror and if some drops somewhere use the paper towel to remove the glob and wipe with wet rag immediately and thats it! if youre that worried buy a dark colored towel from walmart and stand on it while applying incase some falls below. prior to leaving the bathroom i rinse my hands with gloves still on, place top on bowl (for freezer) and rinse/wipe the outside, contain your hair (i use saran wrap, then baggie, then head band), dispose of any used paper towel/newspaper, rinse gloves again, wipe shoulder and chest area (my hair is long) and im done until the rinsing process begins.

ok so as long as my mixture is thick (like clay) i shouldn't have no problem..your process seems sooo easy THANKS!
Madeaj wrote:BlkBeauty is right. When I did my first henna I used a gel mixture that I made. It was a bit loose rather than thick like clay. According the henna for hair sites, the henna should be the consistancy of thick mashed potatoes or clay. If you use Blkbeauty's method, there shouldn't be too much splashing.
Looking at the video, the indigo mixed right is a nice thick consistancy and does not look like it would splash everywhere. Try blkBeauty's method.

Thanks for that video!! and yea their mixture seems real thick
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 22nd January 2011, 6:32 pm

I suggest that you cut open a contractor or lawn size plastic bag and place it under the newspaper to protect the floor from leaks. Also, line your sink with 2 plastic grocery bags (one inserted in the other) to protect it and make clean-up easier.
HTH

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down