CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Protective Styles

4 posters

Go down

Protective Styles Empty Protective Styles

Post by keepsmiling 17th January 2011, 2:33 pm

I'm new to the natural world and I keep reading about protective styling, what exactly are protective styles? Is that like sew-ins and things like that b/c I really don't like wearing weave, it itches my scalp. Are there any protective styles that can be done to short hair, my hair stretches to about the bottom of my ear. I didn't realize how involved this process was going to be. Can anyone help me?
keepsmiling
keepsmiling

Back to top Go down

Protective Styles Empty Re: Protective Styles

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! 17th January 2011, 2:38 pm

Oh yeah, it's definitely a process. Lol
A protective style is one that keeps your ends protected. Because our ends are the oldest part of our hair they are prone to splitting and breakage. A sew in is one example and others include micros, cornrowing, twists or braids with your ends tucked or simply putting on a hat. Go to YouTube and search for protective styles and you should get some ideas. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Mandi'sGoneCurly! on 17th January 2011, 2:51 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : More info!)
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Back to top Go down

Post by keepsmiling 17th January 2011, 2:57 pm

Thank you, I really appreciate it. I will have to do that b/c I am clueless and have no styling ideas.
keepsmiling
keepsmiling

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! 17th January 2011, 3:04 pm

No problem! I was too at one time. Also search the forums for more ideas!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 17th January 2011, 4:07 pm

I agree with Mandi!! You tube and this site/forum were my best friends when I started transitioning and even to this day. I learned how to install my own set of sengalese twists from you tube!!! Everything is on you tube.
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 17th January 2011, 4:24 pm

Protective styling are any and every style that hide the ends of your hair , it can be ponytails with the ends tucked away , bund , cornrows , twist , wigs , weaves , and so on pretty much a protective style is any style that protect your hair , ends and help you minimize manipulating your hair but you must remember while your hair is in a protective style to moisturize it and seal though Smile
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by keepsmiling 17th January 2011, 4:27 pm

Ok thank you b/c I've just been 2 strand twisting it for a couple days then wearing it loose the next couple days b/c thats all I know how to do. I guess I need to start researching, I appreciate your advice!!!
keepsmiling
keepsmiling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down