CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did you read this story?

+3
Takeya
blkbeauty2010
sweetdrk1
7 posters

Go down

Did you read this story? Empty Did you read this story?

Post by sweetdrk1 17th January 2011, 11:50 am

Oldest African-American dies at 113By Phil Gast, CNNJanuary 15, 2011 7:42 p.m. EST

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Mississippi Winn died Friday at age 113
Her parents were apparently born into slavery
She was independent until 10 years ago
Shreveport, Louisiana, has begun to honor her each year

Read the entire story here

This made me smile today! Looking at her I would not have guessed she was 113! Bless her heart!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Did you read this story? Empty Re: Did you read this story?

Post by blkbeauty2010 17th January 2011, 11:56 am

wonderful story. Wish their was a way to highlight the lives of individuals who lived through the times that most of us only read about in text books. I have a great aunt and uncle in their upper 90's (Hattisburg MS) and its truly breathe taking to listen to them tell the stories of their lives. May she rest in peace! Thanks for sharing
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 17th January 2011, 12:01 pm

blkbeauty2010 wrote:wonderful story. Wish their was a way to highlight the lives of individuals who lived through the times that most of us only read about in text books. I have a great aunt and uncle in their upper 90's (Hattisburg MS) and its truly breathe taking to listen to them tell the stories of their lives. May she rest in peace! Thanks for sharing
YW yes it is the best to sit with the elders and listen to them talk about their day!! Priceless!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by Takeya 17th January 2011, 12:10 pm

Such a nice story! My grandma turned 92 New Year's Day and is in good health so I am praying that we'll have another 20 years with her. Last summer, we took a family vacation to the beach and, during those 4 days, it felt like my grandma was finally getting to enjoy life. She couldn't remember ever going to the beach and saw the ocean in a ways that I have always taken for granted. Even the "not-so-special" seashells were exciting to find for her. I truly enjoyed our sunrise walks on the beach and am looking forward to more experiences seen through her eyes.

Thanks for sharing this story...it really allowed me to reflect on the love and respect I have for my grandma! It's nice to hear about our elders being honored!
Takeya
Takeya

http://www.justtakeya.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 17th January 2011, 12:22 pm

Takeya wrote:Such a nice story! My grandma turned 92 New Year's Day and is in good health so I am praying that we'll have another 20 years with her. Last summer, we took a family vacation to the beach and, during those 4 days, it felt like my grandma was finally getting to enjoy life. She couldn't remember ever going to the beach and saw the ocean in a ways that I have always taken for granted. Even the "not-so-special" seashells were exciting to find for her. I truly enjoyed our sunrise walks on the beach and am looking forward to more experiences seen through her eyes.

Thanks for sharing this story...it really allowed me to reflect on the love and respect I have for my grandma! It's nice to hear about our elders being honored!
O you have me choked up! thanks for sharing that.
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Somebody 17th January 2011, 12:29 pm

Takeya wrote:Such a nice story! My grandma turned 92 New Year's Day and is in good health so I am praying that we'll have another 20 years with her. Last summer, we took a family vacation to the beach and, during those 4 days, it felt like my grandma was finally getting to enjoy life. She couldn't remember ever going to the beach and saw the ocean in a ways that I have always taken for granted. Even the "not-so-special" seashells were exciting to find for her. I truly enjoyed our sunrise walks on the beach and am looking forward to more experiences seen through her eyes.

Ok. That almost made me cry! I wish I had known my grandparents. Crying or Very sad
Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody

Back to top Go down

Post by cluelesscurl 17th January 2011, 1:24 pm

Thanks for sharing I would have love to hear her story wish I knew my grandparents as well

cluelesscurl

Back to top Go down

Post by Just Ashley 17th January 2011, 4:14 pm

I take care of my great grandfather since he is 93 and has dementia. When he is aware he shares stories with me all the time. I love him to so much. He also has me crackin and in stitches well until he starts talking about my hair then its time for his nap.
Just Ashley
Just Ashley

http://public.fotki.com/ashleyforachange/

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 17th January 2011, 4:17 pm

Such a beautiful story and made me think of my Lovely grand ma who was born in 1912 Smile ... She doesn't look a day over 70 113 i would have never guessed and may she rest in peace Smile
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by Takeya 17th January 2011, 4:29 pm

creolebeauty1 wrote:Such a beautiful story and made me think of my Lovely grand ma who was born in 1912 Smile ... She doesn't look a day over 70 113 i would have never guessed and may she rest in peace Smile

Imagine the beauty secrets our grandma's must have to stay so youthful looking. My grandma barely has wrinkles. Besides her recipes for homemade biscuits, pancakes, peach cobbler, chicken & dumplings, and candied yams, I must ask her what she uses on her skin!!! Thanks for the reminder! cheers
Takeya
Takeya

http://www.justtakeya.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down