CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Straight hair and exercise...

+2
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
mstokes2008
6 posters

Go down

Straight hair and exercise... Empty Straight hair and exercise...

Post by mstokes2008 10th January 2011, 3:04 pm

As some of y'all know I'm leaving for Air Force basic training in March dance but I still have a few pounds to lose before I go. Anyways I straightened my hair last night because I needed a change in styles and I plan to keep it as long as I can but geez how am I going to keep my hair straight with working out and in a sauna?? Right now I have it in a donut bun but my edges and bangs won't be able to stand the sweat. Not to mention this dumb storm is making it all rainy in Texas Sad

Any ideas Ladies??
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Straight hair and exercise... Empty Re: Straight hair and exercise...

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! 10th January 2011, 3:14 pm

First off, congrats!!! I'm in the Air Force. Feel free to message me for any questions. When you are in basic I reccomend you keep your hair braided back especially if you are natural. It will be WAY to much of a hassle to keep it straight. Plus you aren't allowed flat irons until the last week of basic. The last thing you will be thinking about is your hair. Like I said congrats lady! For right now, I work out everyday and I've let the idea of straight hair go. The sweat is entirely too much. I tie my hair up when I workout, that keeps the ends straight but the roots do what they want to. My routine now is flat twists Sun-Thurs. It gives me a pretty flat twistout on the weekends.

Last edited by Mandi'sGoneCurly! on 10th January 2011, 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 10th January 2011, 3:15 pm

i really don't know but i will love to know and hear ideas Smile especially for the work outs because idk how i will do that either Smile
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 10th January 2011, 3:19 pm

Mandi'sGoneCurly! wrote:First off, congrats!!! I'm in the Air Force. Feel free to message me for any questions. When you are in basic I reccomend you keep your hair braided back especially if you are natural. It will be WAY to much of a hassle to keep it straight. Plus you aren't allowed flat irons until the last week of basic. The last thing you will be thinking about is your hair. Like I said congrats lady!

Thanks! I see you're in Alaska, how do you like it?? Whats you're job??I'm going open general Rolling Eyes My mom loved it as her first base. I really would like to keep my hair cornrowed straight back without extensions but I don't know how well that'll work when it comes to keeping it clean and stuff. I really don't have the money to pay to get it done where it will last the whole time.

mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 10th January 2011, 3:28 pm

When I straighten my hair I just don't work out that week. That is one of the reasons why I don't do it often, because it only lasts about a week for me and then I'm back in the gym! I sweat a lot and my straight hair doesn't stand a chance after a few minutes of exercise.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! 10th January 2011, 3:29 pm

I went in as open general too! I was so scared I was going to be a cop. Luckily, I got supply. It's not a bad job. Pretty easy. As for Alaska? Eh. I got here when I was 18 so there's not alot to do. Everything is 21+. The winter sucks but the summer is REALLY nice. It's not a Texan summer. (I'm from Fort Worth) but it tops out at about 80 degrees. As for your hair, I would get on YouTube and see some tutorials on cornrowing and flat twisting. If not, there will probably be someone in your flight who will be willing to do it for you. I also don't reccomend getting extensions prior to basic. I went in with micros and I had to take them out when we went to the gas chamber.
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Back to top Go down

Post by summerbreeze76 10th January 2011, 3:47 pm

This one of my reasons for going Natural. I was too concerned about my hair and not my health. Like right now, I usually work out at work at leat 3-4 times a week, well i did not even bother to bring my workout bag cuz my hair is straight and i did not want to sweat it out. In the past i would just flat iron daily and blow dry daily after working out and that was when i had my relaxer; im surprised i still had hair after all of that.

I cannot have my hair dictate my life.
summerbreeze76
summerbreeze76

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 10th January 2011, 8:46 pm

I usually wrap my hair up like when i go to sleep. some folks may not want to look like that in public but if i want to maintain the straight look i do that while working out.
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 11th January 2011, 12:45 am

BajanPrincess82 wrote:When I straighten my hair I just don't work out that week. That is one of the reasons why I don't do it often, because it only lasts about a week for me and then I'm back in the gym! I sweat a lot and my straight hair doesn't stand a chance after a few minutes of exercise.

lol I know! It's sad because I'm already pretty bored with my straight hair and its been all of a day. It was in a bun today anyway but the side where my bang was is starting to puff back up lol

Mandi'sGoneCurly! wrote:I went in as open general too! I was so scared I was going to be a cop. Luckily, I got supply. It's not a bad job. Pretty easy. As for Alaska? Eh. I got here when I was 18 so there's not alot to do. Everything is 21+. The winter sucks but the summer is REALLY nice. It's not a Texan summer. (I'm from Fort Worth) but it tops out at about 80 degrees. As for your hair, I would get on YouTube and see some tutorials on cornrowing and flat twisting. If not, there will probably be someone in your flight who will be willing to do it for you. I also don't reccomend getting extensions prior to basic. I went in with micros and I had to take them out when we went to the gas chamber.

I'm so tired of people telling me I'm going to be a cop! Ugh and I work in Finance on Randolph right now so all of them are telling me I going to be in Finance which would suck! I'm going to PM you with my questions! I'm putting Alaska on my dream sheet and it'd be nice to hear from someone there as well as someone who did the whole open general thing too lol

Why did you have to take your micros out in the gas chamber?? Was it chemicals or because your braids wouldn't fit?

summerbreeze76 wrote:This one of my reasons for going Natural. I was too concerned about my hair and not my health. Like right now, I usually work out at work at leat 3-4 times a week, well i did not even bother to bring my workout bag cuz my hair is straight and i did not want to sweat it out. In the past i would just flat iron daily and blow dry daily after working out and that was when i had my relaxer; im surprised i still had hair after all of that.

I cannot have my hair dictate my life.

lol thats how I was. My flat iron was my best friend lol. But you're right, as much as I love my hair, it can be the deciding factor of when I work out, thats no bueno.

Nikcoils wrote:I usually wrap my hair up like when i go to sleep. some folks may not want to look like that in public but if i want to maintain the straight look i do that while working out.

That makes sense, I thought about doing that earlier when I worked out but it just stayed in the bun it was already in, which did ok. BTW your hair is so pretty, love the length!
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! 11th January 2011, 1:15 am

It was because of the chemicals. They want to make sure none of the chemicals stay on your body...
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down