CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

growing, but there's madd shrinkage

+4
rayray19
sweetdrk1
EmbracingNaturalMe
mstokes2008
8 posters

Go down

growing, but there's madd shrinkage Empty growing, but there's madd shrinkage

Post by Guest 4th January 2011, 10:59 pm

what do u ladies do to extend ur hair?? i know shrinkage is a big problem for some and my hair is in the 4 category....i stopped using gel, but there's still shrinkage; however, i think that's normal for my hair type Sad i believe i am out of the twa stage b/c i can cornrow my hair somewhat, but the question is how can i lessen my shrinkage?~

Back to top Go down

growing, but there's madd shrinkage Empty Re: growing, but there's madd shrinkage

Post by mstokes2008 4th January 2011, 11:07 pm

Have you tried banding it to dry or drying it in twists or braids?? I know that helps some curlies with their shrinkage.
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

growing, but there's madd shrinkage Empty Re: growing, but there's madd shrinkage

Post by EmbracingNaturalMe 4th January 2011, 11:09 pm

I find that shrinkage is less if I braid or twist my hair at night and wear a braid out/twist out or afro. I don't do wash and go's because of the shrinkage. When I wash my hair, it looks like I just BC'd if I let my hair air dry without twisting or braiding. Also, I have found that using shea butter after moisturizing my hair lessens the shrinkage.
EmbracingNaturalMe
EmbracingNaturalMe

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 4th January 2011, 11:09 pm

Hi,

I have the same issue. My shrinkage is major, I could stretch my hair when I style on 90% dry hair and use a heavy styler like butter I have put a link to my hair pics to show you just different stages of my hair. I came to a point where I appreciated the shrinkage. Hang in there
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 4th January 2011, 11:11 pm

my shrinkage is BAD too!! I have 3 1/2 inches of hair but when wet its 1 inch..so to avoid shrinkage i band my hair while its wet..when it dries my hair is nice and stretch and ready to be twisted..i like my twist outs to be big and fluffy so banding really helps..

here's how my banding looks
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

oh and here's a tutorial on how to do it too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEYjdKq0n28
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4th January 2011, 11:21 pm

@rayray19...
lol i don't have any hair ties ...would it be a bad idea to put rubber bands on ur hair to band instead?~

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 4th January 2011, 11:56 pm

I use goody bands but im not sure about rubber bands they might pop your hair..you can find a pack of goody bands at walmart for like $2..Im always losing bands so i buy like 3 packs lol
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyCee 5th January 2011, 12:14 am

I use rubber bands. When I banded, I didn't lose or break one. I guess it all depends on how rough you are when you take them down. I will do that again on wash day to see what happens then.........
MissyCee
MissyCee

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 5th January 2011, 12:20 am

Allthough im transitioning i like to wear hight buns with my afro pony sometimes and i have to wash my hair braid it while its wet that stretches it and than when i twist that helps to also so i would say always braid , twist or band your hair prior to any styles to avoid shrinkage
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 5th January 2011, 1:12 am

I think I'm going to try the banding method next week. The problem is I don't have a ton of time to allow them to dry and then twist.
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

http://www.cookingwithcareonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 5th January 2011, 1:21 am

I blow dry my hair everytime I wash which is every three weeks... Some would say it's bad to do so but it definitely helps me manage my 4c hair...

I'll try to blow dry every 6 weeks but that'll b a challenge....
fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 5th January 2011, 1:45 am

@ fanm hey girl Kouman ou ye ? lol i want to do a blow out for my bday in september lol
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5th January 2011, 7:05 pm

ugh..i banded my hair last night and took it out this morning...ended up doing a braid out and then i ended up not liking it lol....to hell w/ this; if i have shrinkage o well; the whole banding thing idk about it, but thanks for the advice everyone Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down