CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kinky haired women have to dress up to look better

+5
Madeaj
CarlaAR
molove87
misskris
Janique
9 posters

Go down

Kinky haired women have to dress up to look better Empty Kinky haired women have to dress up to look better

Post by Janique 22nd December 2010, 5:43 pm

The other day I was talking to my friend about hair. She has long red hair that is super thick and has a kinky curly texture. She is Puerto Rican and her sisters have loosely curled black hair, so she feels like the odd one out. She flatirons her hair and said she doesn't feel comfortable wearing her curly hair anymore. So we got into this discussion and she says that she feels like if you don't have "nice" curls or have kinky hair, you need to dress up or wear make up and earrings so you don't look unkempt. That way, if your hair is in a fro, it looks like the fro was done on purpose, not like you rolled out of bed. Was I wrong to be offended by this. I understand we shouldn't look any way, but what got me was when she said that if two people walked into the store, one with straight hair and one with kinky hair, the one with straight hair automatically looks better.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Kinky haired women have to dress up to look better Empty Re: Kinky haired women have to dress up to look better

Post by misskris 22nd December 2010, 5:49 pm

Wow!!!! Unfortunately people do still think this was and it's really sad that she thinks this way and HAS curly hair!!! And No, you are not wrong for feeling offended by that! You have the right to feel how you feel. But that's the way so many people were raised to think. That straight is better, just like some people still sadly think that lighter skin is better!! I think that some people will ALWAYS think like that and there's nothing we can do. You just keep on doin you and don't let it get to you that much!!! Very Happy

afro
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Kinky haired women have to dress up to look better Empty Re: Kinky haired women have to dress up to look better

Post by Janique 22nd December 2010, 5:52 pm

Thanks misskris. I can understand where she's coming from in that she has so much hair that it can be a lot of work to take care of while curly, but if your not willing to learn and maintain ignorant views then there's not really much anyone can say to change your mind.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by molove87 22nd December 2010, 6:03 pm

Janique wrote:Thanks misskris. I can understand where she's coming from in that she has so much hair that it can be a lot of work to take care of while curly, but if your not willing to learn and maintain ignorant views then there's not really much anyone can say to change your mind.

That's so true.. I can't stand for someone to constantly complain about something and not make any changes toward it. Thing is she's so different (in a good way) but it's up to her to see that.
molove87
molove87

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 22nd December 2010, 6:11 pm

It reminds me of the perception that straight hair is the default when you dress up for a formal event, a wedding (yours or a family/friend) or something similar. The fro, BAA, "wild hair" look is OK if you're casual, cool, funky, hitting the streets of NYC or London - sort of avant garde in a way.

Is it really that different though when women who first BC are told to wear earrings and other jewelry, makeup, etc to look or feminine with the super short TWA?
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 22nd December 2010, 7:49 pm

Unfortunately Janique, people often buy into the negative images and perceptions they are taught. It sounds like she has always been told she is inferior because of her hair. And when people feel that way, they are always looking for someone they think is "worst" off then them.

Look at the African American community, sometimes intercultural prejudices are worst then what people outside put on us. I know people who refuse to give up using the "N" word but would pop a brain vessel if called that by another race. I can't tell you not to feel offended because only you know your feelings. But my initial thought is "Wow, she (your friend) really doesn't have a good self-image".

Send her to Nikki's positive self-image Thursdays.

Last edited by Madeaj on 22nd December 2010, 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22nd December 2010, 7:55 pm

ok...i totally get ur point @Janique, BUT everyone has their preferences.....to alot of society someone w/ straight hair may look better to them than the one who has kinky hair b/c now of days, everyone is programmed to think o i have to have straight hair so i'll look good or what have u....everyone has their own preference and if somebody doesn't like it, oh well, it's not their head....alot of ppl don't feel comfortable wearing their curly hair, kinky hair, whatever, but then again it's all about preference~

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 22nd December 2010, 8:23 pm

CarlaAR wrote: Is it really that different though when women who first BC are told to wear earrings and other jewelry, makeup, etc to look or feminine with the super short TWA?

That's a good question too. Women who have the BC are often told to dress themselves up more to feel better about their hair in a sense.

@Madeaj It makes me wonder too about her self-image.

@strawberri I do realize it's her preference and it's fine she wants to wear it straight, but when she says things to me like o you should wear earrings and comments about kinky hair when I have kinky hair, I can't help but to feel a little offended, especially when she offers to "slick" my hair back and flatiron it. She has complemented my hair, but it makes me feel like she thinks I look busted if my hairs not done up.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22nd December 2010, 10:15 pm

@Janique.....
ooo ok....well idk um maybe some ppl should try being the other person for a day (the one they are judging) and they would see what it's like......ppl are natural for a reason and like myself, i do what i feel comfortable w/ no matter what anybody says....if i were u, i wouldn't feel offended by what she has to say b/c obviously there's a ignorance there because she doesn't understand u and where ur coming from when it comes to ur being natural so she may make comments and such, but so what; if u were meant to have straight hair, God would've given u straight hair lol~

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 22nd December 2010, 11:45 pm

You shouldn't be so offended - maybe feel sorry for your friend for thinking this about herself because that's where she gets the assumption from.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 23rd December 2010, 12:05 am

@ strawberri and emartini I agree with both you statements....I just tend to be a little touchy on the issue of hair because of the negativity I initially received from my parents...I'm just not going to discuss that topic with her anymore lol
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 23rd December 2010, 1:56 am

she is ignorant point blank period it must be in the water because today i was talking to this random girl at the gym and she asked me about my hair i told her it was a wig and im transitioning so i'm not dealing with my hair much , this braud told me i must have "good hair " to go natural especially being dark skin i will look like a run away slave with nappy hair smh .... i was speechless but i told her a few words Society has programmed people "especially our own kind that dark skin kinky hair is inferior to even curly hair and light skin black people let along comparing to straight hair and white women i blame our society standard of beauty for this inferiority complex but i think beauty standards are meant to be broken and if we all looked the same the world would be super boring !
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigo.Blue 23rd December 2010, 2:55 am

The unpopular opinion:

I apoligize in advance if I offend anyone because that is not my intent...

I believe that there is a difference between naturals who wear their hair neat and there are some who hair does look unkempt. Natural does not mean wild and untamed (even though I have seen some bad ass wild styles)

I have seen plenty of women with straight hair who look like they just rolled out of the bed so it is not exclusive to hair type. I have seen neat fros and I have seen fros that look just like the person just rolled out of bed. A lot of make up and earrings is like a perfume shower...it is a poor cover up.

I have heard people around the community say that natural hair is not deemed as professional and that is not the case. I am sure that Nikki was never accused of not looking profession because she looks neat.
Indigo.Blue
Indigo.Blue

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 23rd December 2010, 11:36 am

That sounds a bit dumb...and it's too bad she feels that way when I'm sure she has gorgeous hair...
Oh well... Just tell her you do not feel the same way and keep it moving...
fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down