CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for a coarse-haired big Sis!!

4 posters

Go down

Looking for a coarse-haired big Sis!!  Empty Looking for a coarse-haired big Sis!!

Post by Naturally Zee 22nd June 2010, 4:03 pm

Thanks for even taking the time!!!!!

I decided to stop relaxing my hair 4 months ago. About 6 weeks ago I caved in a got a relaxer. I again decided to forego the relaxer treatments. And then 2 weeks ago, I'm in WalMart leaving with a relaxer home kit. Now I have not used it and really do not want to, but my hair is extremely difficult to work with, unless it is wet, but that leads to so much breakage. I currently have some cornrows in, but I need advice on what to do once I take these out. I would like to leave the curls in from removing my braids, but my hair will be so hard and dry (and I can't wet it to at least even try to soften it up and add product, because then the relaxed part will go crazy) What product do you recommend?

I have very coarse hair, the women I see on this site seem to mostly have fine hair (but I still LOVE the site). What can I do? I am going to try to keep braids in as much as possible and wear wigs, wigs, and more wigs. But the entire purpose for me going natural is to be free from all of that.

And I cannot do a BC, my husband is not going for it!

Again thanks so much!!
Naturally Zee
Naturally Zee

Back to top Go down

Looking for a coarse-haired big Sis!!  Empty Re: Looking for a coarse-haired big Sis!!

Post by earynnm 22nd June 2010, 7:24 pm

well you can wear your hair in a twist out when you take the cornrolls out. The longer the cornrolls are in the better the twist out will look.
earynnm
earynnm

Back to top Go down

Looking for a coarse-haired big Sis!!  Empty Re: Looking for a coarse-haired big Sis!!

Post by earynnm 22nd June 2010, 7:30 pm

Also if you want your hair to be soft, condition it regularly. I use suave conditioner i really like it. Also make sure your hair stays moisturized. Get yourself a good moisturizer(I use quenched curls moisturizer) and drink plenty of water. in order to achieve my normal style i soak my hair with water, put on a grip load of conditioner, apply moisturizer, divide my hair into sections apply gel (eco styler gel olive oil) about one of those 50cent sized coins amounts to each sections. I hope that this helped. Let me know:) when i get home i'll take some pics of my hair today and post them here for you.

p.s. im 3c 4a 4b hair type, it might help to know your hair type:)
earynnm
earynnm

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Zee 23rd June 2010, 11:23 am

Thanks Earynnm!

I'm not even sure what my hair type is. It could possibly be a 4-something. My hair grows pretty slow, when I pull it back into a ponytail I have small deep waves (about the size of a pencil or straw, maybe a little bigger). I'm lost on the classification type, lol. My main concern is the dryness I will experience once I take these braids out. If I put something on it, the curls/waves will fall out. But if I don't I'm sure my hair will crunch and crack with every turn of my head, LOL.

Are you transitioning? How do ou handle aking extra care of your straight ends so they don't break off?
Naturally Zee
Naturally Zee

Back to top Go down

Post by earynnm 23rd June 2010, 2:41 pm

No Problem

I am not transitioning. From what i've heard this will be the dryest part of your journey next to bcing. My biggest issues though are dryness and brakege. So i make sure i put on lots of moisturizer and conditioner(but not too much conditioner)[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
earynnm
earynnm

Back to top Go down

Post by Morshaye 7th July 2010, 8:22 pm

Hey Naturally Zee

When I was transitioning I used to wear bantu knot outs. It was a good way to blend the 2 textures on my head. You may also wnt to try doing some braid outs as well. I personally found that my straight ends wouldn't stay in a twist, but natural hair is all about trial and error. As Earynnm said, you do need to make sure your hair is moisturized. The less manipulation, the better. The point where the 2 textures meet is weak, so the less you mess with it, the better off you will be. Good luck with your transition.
Morshaye
Morshaye

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 7th July 2010, 11:30 pm

It sounds like you might need to change up your products. You should not have to wet your hair to work with it. I know it's coarse, and I know we've all broken a comb trying to work through the kinks, but it doesn't have to be like that! What products are you using right now? What did you put in your hair right before the cornrows? Also, silicone conditioners or serums are a good way to protect transitioning hair from breakage.
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Zee 7th July 2010, 11:37 pm

LittleOne wrote:It sounds like you might need to change up your products. You should not have to wet your hair to work with it. I know it's coarse, and I know we've all broken a comb trying to work through the kinks, but it doesn't have to be like that! What products are you using right now? What did you put in your hair right before the cornrows? Also, silicone conditioners or serums are a good way to protect transitioning hair from breakage.

I have since taken out the cornrows, did an ACV rinse and have changed out all of my pre-made products to homemade ones. My hair is now MUCH softer. I did a braid out for national afro day, but it only lasted for that day. I'm going to do some flat twists or braids in the front of my head and roller set the back and see how long that lasts.

Thanks! Cute avatar also!!
Naturally Zee
Naturally Zee

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Zee 7th July 2010, 11:39 pm

Morshaye wrote:Hey Naturally Zee

When I was transitioning I used to wear bantu knot outs. It was a good way to blend the 2 textures on my head. You may also wnt to try doing some braid outs as well. I personally found that my straight ends wouldn't stay in a twist, but natural hair is all about trial and error. As Earynnm said, you do need to make sure your hair is moisturized. The less manipulation, the better. The point where the 2 textures meet is weak, so the less you mess with it, the better off you will be. Good luck with your transition.

Thanks Morshaye,

I did a braidout for the 4th and it was cute, I'll post pics tomorrow. I have not tried a bantu knot out, I may try one next week. It just looks to me like all that twisting (for the knot) will pull out my hair.
Naturally Zee
Naturally Zee

Back to top Go down

Post by Morshaye 7th July 2010, 11:43 pm

Ok cool, I can't wait to see them. And as for the BKO, as long as you're gentle with it, you'll be fine. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Morshaye
Morshaye

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 8th July 2010, 3:09 pm

Thanks Naturally Zee! Glad you found your way!
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down