CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Butter Works for You?

+5
blkbeauty2010
creolebeauty1
Curlock Holmes
Emartini04
catcurls
9 posters

Go down

What Butter Works for You? Empty What Butter Works for You?

Post by catcurls 19th December 2010, 2:09 pm

After BC'ing 8/2009 it led to boughts of pjism like most naturally curlies seeking the most sublime product that would bring out the optimal pattern in her curl type. After settling down just a bit in my pjism Smile I set out on a quest to find out if all butters were the same. Shea worked ok for me but was a little too heavy and did not tame my frizz. So I tried mixing it with aloe butter, that was a bit better but no trophy. I tried aloe butter alone and thought, oh yeahhhh finally my holy grail of butters.
This past week I ordered more aloe and tried a couple of new ones, horsetail and avocado butters.
I did my fairly standard weekend routine just no deep condish this week, pre-poo'd then rinsed with cool water, washed with non-sulfate poo, condished and detangled then 2 strand twisted with condish still on hair and rinsed with twists still in with cold water. Lastly, untwisted dripping wet sections and applied a dime to quarter size of the horsetail butter to each section after re-twisting all sections sealed each twist with raw coconut oil.

My goodness, this morning I woke up to totally moisturized, well defined and easy to separate curls!!!
Now THIS had never happened before without more products. So, I wanted to ask other curlies, have you tried various butters? Did they yield different results due to the butters consistency?

Current Products:
Pre-poo: cucumber, avocado and sour cream mix recipe from Naturallycurly.com
Poo: Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo
Condish: Mixed Yes to Cucumbers with Smoothing Shea Butter Condish by Organix
Horsetail Butter
Raw Coconut Oil

Holy Grails:
Yes to Cucumbers
Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo
Raw coconut oil
Jessicurl Weekly Deep Conditioner

Curltype:3c/4a frizzy, frizzy, I can't emphasize enough how frizzy

catcurls
catcurls

Back to top Go down

What Butter Works for You? Empty Re: What Butter Works for You?

Post by Emartini04 19th December 2010, 3:24 pm

I use Jane Carter nourish and shine which consist of Shea and mango butter and I love the way it makes my hair look. Not a big fan of raw Shea butter alone on my hair. Once that product runs out I'm going to mix up some raw Shea and mango butter with a few oils to continue twisting my hair with.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlock Holmes 19th December 2010, 3:30 pm

Where do you all buy your butters? I've only tried Shea at this point but I'd like to try cocoa, avocado, mango, and maybe some other ones.
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 19th December 2010, 3:34 pm

Im still transitioning but i like shea butter , and i have been mixing a batch every 2 weeks until i find one i like so far the one i mixed last week was awesome it was raw shea buttter , aloe vera gel and juice , avocado oil , jojoba oil , and honey i also added some tea tree oil as a preserv. and i always apply my shea on wet hair it keeps me moisturize for at least 3 days
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by catcurls 19th December 2010, 3:41 pm

Curlock - I've tried 2 sites fromnaturewithlove and soapdish.com

It was my first time ordering from soapdis. They have better pricing, great packaging and shipping only took 2 days plus it wasn't too expensive. But I prefer the descriptions of products and information on fromnaturewithlove.
catcurls
catcurls

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 19th December 2010, 6:23 pm

i just got my container of mango butter from butter and bars. it feels great on my skin but i wont be able to style my hair until next week Rolling Eyes (just washed on Wed and am flying out of town tomorrow... so sad, last week i postponed wash day 4 WHOLE DAYS and was stalking my mail lady waiting for it to arrive!). The mango butter seems fairly light and not sure how it will work on my hair. Any suggestion on what to mix it with? As for now I havent mixed alot of my own moisturizers and stylers but the purchase was my jumpstart for that journey. My hair loves any product that is loaded with Shea butter, nice moisture, nice shine, and nice bounce woot!
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 19th December 2010, 6:36 pm

catcurls wrote:Curlock - I've tried 2 sites fromnaturewithlove and soapdish.com

It was my first time ordering from soapdis. They have better pricing, great packaging and shipping only took 2 days plus it wasn't too expensive. But I prefer the descriptions of products and information on fromnaturewithlove.

OMG... If it werent creepy I would kiss you... What the heck *Red puckerd lips* I love the fromnaturewithlove website. They have butters i havent even heard of or was wanting to order from elsewhere but didnt like the price of product and shipping of the other companies i looked at. The site even has a recipe section that is very beneficial. Thankls for posting!
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by catcurls 19th December 2010, 6:39 pm

blkbeauty2010 I've mixed lighter butters with kinky curly knot today. I originally tried the kimmaytube recipe and that works great when I'm protective styling but when trying to wear my hair out it needed a little extra hold and boost. So tried kckt with my aloe butter and aloe gel mixed in and booyaaah! Good moisture and good hold. After such success with the horsetail butter on my hair only this weekend I'm looking forward to seeing what the results are doing the aloe gel and kckt mix with it. Will continue with the butter only for a few weeks to ensure the results are consistent but after that I'm gonna put on my gourmet butter mix chef's hat.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
catcurls
catcurls

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalesque 19th December 2010, 6:44 pm

My hair loves shea butter. I have been mixing refined (it's all white) shea butter with avocado oil and citrus extract for smell. My hair loves it, BUT I dislike the way the shea butter makes my hair smell on day 2. It doesn't smell fresh/pleasant to me... is it possible that it's going bad in my hair?
naturalesque
naturalesque

Back to top Go down

Post by ebonediva 19th December 2010, 7:15 pm

Jane Carter's Nourish and Shine works wonders for my hair. I also use KBB hair butter & KBN hair butter. I do the switch-a-roo every so often. Jane Carter's is the truth though.
ebonediva
ebonediva

http://God Said It, I Believe It, and That Settles It....AMEN

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 19th December 2010, 10:18 pm

what is KBB and KBN? Would you ladies mind putting where you order your butters from so others can use this as a resource
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by J.S.M. 19th December 2010, 10:49 pm

My hair is weird. It likes some butters sometimes, but hates them at other times. I've learned that my hair hates butters straight, but when it's a mix of a whole bunch of butters and other ingredients, it likes it. For my hair, shea butter has to be mixed with something else in order for it to not make my hair hard and crispy. My hair isn't fond of shea butter, and it hates mango butter whether it's mixed or whatever. It seems to be fine with avocado butter (to a certain extent, since it's greasy and my hair is fine), cocoa butter, and a few other, random butters that seem to have no correlation with each other (like kokum, jojoba, and hemp butters).

J.S.M.

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 19th December 2010, 11:13 pm

I ordered butters from texas natural supply - love their avocado butter

http://www.texasnaturalsupply.com/category.aspx?categoryID=16

butter n bars http://www.butters-n-bars.com/

Shea essentials http://www.sheaessentials.com/

@blkbeauty2010 - KBB - is Karen's Body Beautiful and KBN is Koils By Nature. They are two natural hair companies.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 19th December 2010, 11:31 pm

are there any butters that should not or cannot be used on the hair? Iv never heard of lemon, lime, orange, tangerine, coffeebean, pistachip nut and other butters and was just wondering are they all "safe" to use on hair? confused
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by catcurls 19th December 2010, 11:47 pm

blkbeauty2010 wrote:are there any butters that should not or cannot be used on the hair? Iv never heard of lemon, lime, orange, tangerine, coffeebean, pistachip nut and other butters and was just wondering are they all "safe" to use on hair? confused

Not an expert but I believe citrus butters would be less oily that a pistachio butter. Don't think any of the butters would be harmful but some would probably not be as moisturizing as others. I'd like to try Hemp butter in the near future.
catcurls
catcurls

Back to top Go down

Post by ebonediva 19th December 2010, 11:51 pm

blkbeauty2010 wrote:what is KBB and KBN? Would you ladies mind putting where you order your butters from so others can use this as a resource

KBB is Karen's Body Beautiful & KBN is Koils by Nature. They both have respective websites that I've order products from . Jane Carter's N&S I bought from Whole Foods.
ebonediva
ebonediva

Back to top Go down

Post by ebonediva 19th December 2010, 11:52 pm

krazy coils wrote:I ordered butters from texas natural supply - love their avocado butter

http://www.texasnaturalsupply.com/category.aspx?categoryID=16

butter n bars http://www.butters-n-bars.com/

Shea essentials http://www.sheaessentials.com/

@blkbeauty2010 - KBB - is Karen's Body Beautiful and KBN is Koils By Nature. They are two natural hair companies.

I just noticed you answered. Thx.
ebonediva
ebonediva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down