CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using water in moisturizing spritz

2 posters

Go down

Using water in moisturizing spritz Empty Using water in moisturizing spritz

Post by ethomasFL 24th November 2010, 4:22 pm

Hi all,
This is my very first time posting to any board on CurlyNikki, I'm still a newbie...any who, I have a question (and I am so glad this discussion topic made it to the boards) about using a moisturizing spritz.

I created my first spritz this weekend with water, glycerin, aloe vera juice, olive oil, avocado oil and a few drops of rosemary oil. Well I love the smell and feel but when I spritz it on my hair (type 4, collar bone length, always wanting moisture), it seems to love it at first and then it dries, shrivels some and frizzes! Then I lose my curl/twist definition. I really think the water in the spritz causes this and I really don't want my twist out to frizz instantly & tighten up. Any suggestions that you think might help? Can I make a spritz with little to no water or does that defeat the purpose? I use a leave in conditioner (Kimmaytube) on my dry hair and then twist with the eco custard mixture I read from another board (this is a great combination for my hair).
Thanks for any help/advice....
ethomasFL
ethomasFL

Back to top Go down

Using water in moisturizing spritz Empty Re: Using water in moisturizing spritz

Post by LittleOne 24th November 2010, 4:29 pm

Hi ethomasFL,

You've doubled up on the humectants by using glycerin and aloe vera juice together. Try omitting the water and glycerin. The aloe vera juice and oils should be a better mix. Good luck! Please let us know how it turns out.

Since you are new to all of this...you should find your Hair ID and see how it compares to your current regimen.

http://www.hairliberty.org/black-hair-care/hair-id/

Welcome to the fun! Smile
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by ethomasFL 24th November 2010, 5:30 pm

Thank you for the help LittleOne, from what I've been reading, the glycerin seems to be a good moisturizer & I thought it would be good to incorporate into my daily maintance...do you think I could still add the glycerin with the aloe vera juice or would that not be a good idea? I will try without the water & glycerin first and see how it goes....are there any other ways to use veggie glycerin in hair maintance, I wonder?

Oh and thanks for the link, I'm excited to check it out! I've been relaxer free for 13 months now but this is the first month that I've actually tried to style & work with my natural hair...I'm used to just leaving it in cornrows, so this is a huge learning process for me! :-)
ethomasFL
ethomasFL

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 24th November 2010, 5:36 pm

Water and glycerin is great. I use a 3:1 mix when I need to re-wet my hair....3 parts water, 1 part glycerin. I think aloe vera juice works better to help curls stay fluffy, but it has to be kept in the fridge and i'm too lazy to always go get it, haha.

Using glycerin and aloe vera juice together is what's causing the frizz that you don't like. Humectants draw moisture to your hair and can make it swell. You have to use just the right amount.
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by ethomasFL 25th November 2010, 11:15 am

Wow! I mixed the avocado oil, olive oil and aloe vera juice with a few drops of rosemary & tea tree eo and it was so awesome on my hair as a spritz! my hair is soft, light and fluffy without all the shrinkage and extra frizz! my goal was to try and get a mid-day refresher since my hair quickly dries out & this is awesome! I will use extra aloe vera juice in the mixture to keep it watery & allow it to spray out of my spray bottle. also gotta keep it all in the frig but thanks for the help! :-)
ethomasFL
ethomasFL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down