CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For those who flat iron...

+3
iculukin
Lynnieluve
Curlock Holmes
7 posters

Go down

For those who flat iron... Empty For those who flat iron...

Post by Curlock Holmes 12th October 2010, 12:41 pm

I want to flat iron my hair so that I can just go to SuperCuts or something and get it trimmed (I have a lot of knots and split ends Sad ). I was *going* to do it today, but I flat ironed one small section in the back and it got straight, but it was not light and fluffy like I would like it. I think I know why-- I used castor oil to seal my hair, and oil and flat irons create weighed down hair. (BTW I did use heat protectant)

Now, here's my problem: without castor oil, my hair does NOT feel soft! So I don't really know what to do. Should I just mix a tiny bit into my leave-in, and then continue with heat protectant and other products? And what other products could I use that will give me soft hair that won't weigh it down? I saw this article on 'The Moptop Maven' on how she flat irons, and she uses like 6 products! (here is her article on it)

Anyways, any and all suggestions are welcome!
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

For those who flat iron... Empty Re: For those who flat iron...

Post by Lynnieluve 12th October 2010, 12:53 pm

I havent flat iron my hair yet but I currently doing research. Here is an article I read on Westndnbeautyy's blog.

Here is a video of how she flat irons her hair.

I hope this helps.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by iculukin 12th October 2010, 2:54 pm

I just got my hair flat ironed to cut my split ends.... I so didn't know I had this much hair!!! But after my hair was done I used Shea butter or Jane cater on my ends then pin curl at night and get such a cute style without using heat everyday! I also dc with protien before getting my hair straightened. So I would suggest you could use your heat protection product then after flat ironing you can add drops of the castor oil throughout your ends...hth
iculukin
iculukin

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlock Holmes 12th October 2010, 10:23 pm

Wow, her hair came out super nice! I wonder if I can get my hair to be that sleek without blow drying-- I'm trying to minimize direct heat by banding my hair the night before.

iculukin- yeah, maybe adding castor oil afterwards will be sufficient. I have to hit up sally's and see what kind of products they have for flat ironing hair.
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by purplec18 12th October 2010, 11:18 pm

yeah i got mines flat ironed today, it will be sleek without blow drying you just have to take alot of heat to the scalp, which burns, but only a little
purplec18
purplec18

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 12th October 2010, 11:45 pm

A lot of heat is not good. I wouldnt suggest it.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 15th October 2010, 3:38 pm

I'd like to flat iron for my birthday in March of next year ....but i just have a feeling that my 4c hair will just laugh at any flat iron (which could result in a stylist using high heat....o lawd...i don't even want to think about it...)
I'll be celebrating my 18th month of being natural by that time....i can't wait!!!!

Anyways, i'll watch this topic closely...lol
fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by SasahT 21st October 2010, 1:50 am

I just flat ironed my hair two days ago for the 1st time since going completely natural. I first roller set it with large flexirods and sat under the dryer, then took the rollers out and blew it out with cool air for a few minutes. I then wrapped it at night, took the wrap out in the morning and flat ironed it on a very low setting (about 7 and my flat iron goes up to 20). My hair came out with no frizz, very bouncy and shiny with lots of body. I just wrap it every night and comb it out in the morning and the body has stayed for 2 days. When I roller set I had left in tressemme conditioner and sealed with a coconut oil/shea butter mix. That is virtually all the product that I have used. I'm definitely going to use this routine again. My hair is straighter than it was when I was relaxed, but I have much more body.
SasahT
SasahT

http://members.fotki.com/Sasaht/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlock Holmes 21st October 2010, 3:31 am

thanks everyone! I will try again, just using a drop of castor oil mixed into my leave in, as well as a drop of heat protectant. I'm heavy handed with product I guess (the idea of using one pump of anything for my whole head of hair just sounds absurd!!) but I will press on!

I'll keep you all apprised of the situation Smile
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaynatural 13th November 2010, 3:14 am

I just flat ironed my hair for the first time since june. It came out so beautifully. All I did was wash it with amala cream rinse, condish with aussie, and deep condish with sitrinilla. I used paul mitchells super skinny serum. It makes my hair so soft and shiny without weighing it down.
Shaynatural
Shaynatural

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down