CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How long did it take to finally get your regimen

+7
patmichele
Lynnieluve
LilyFlower8604
Sebastain13
dajewel
Alanija
naturallynola
11 posters

Go down

How long did it take to finally get your regimen Empty How long did it take to finally get your regimen

Post by naturallynola 4th November 2010, 8:56 pm

As a new natural, I think finding your go to products is the mission everyone is trying to accomplish. Often lack of patience, frustration, buying frenzies, and wanting to try everything someone gives a good review on delays the accomplishment of that mission. I was hoping you all would share how long it took you to find your regimens and also anything you think would help the rest of us who are still on that quest. Thank you in advance for sharing.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

How long did it take to finally get your regimen Empty Re: How long did it take to finally get your regimen

Post by Alanija 4th November 2010, 9:22 pm

I have been relaxer free since this past March and I tinink I have finally found my regimen. I am wearing ps a lot because of the cold weather and just no time really to mess with my hair. So I wash and dc/condition wkly and put my hair into tst or box braids. I have got my staple products to Qhemet Biologics AOHC for moisture, my shea butter mixture, and my aloe vera spritz. The products I buy mostly is shampoo and dc because I'm really on the hunt for a good deep conditioner. What has helped me with my quest was sticking to what's worked. I found the AOHC worked the best for my hair out of the many, many products I tried, and decided that 's what I'll stick with along with my other staples previously mentioned. My hair is doing much better with the consistency of products than when I was product hopping with my pj'ism.
Alanija
Alanija

Back to top Go down

How long did it take to finally get your regimen Empty Re: How long did it take to finally get your regimen

Post by dajewel 4th November 2010, 9:54 pm

it took me about three months to get my basic regimen down. i tweak it every three months or so.

to help cut down on the time that takes u to finalize a regimen, find a hair twin and mimic the regi that has been successful for them.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 4th November 2010, 10:18 pm

I dont have a regimen yet & Ive been natural for 6 mths now & I cant seem to get together I really dont buy alot of products but I cant seem to find out what works for me but Im sure I will it just take time It does bother me because my hair is sooooooooooooooooooooo dry I dont know what to do
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyFlower8604 4th November 2010, 10:22 pm

It took me about six months. My routine used to be really in-depth when I first started, because I was doing some of everything. But once you figure out YOUR hair, you'll get it down. And it can't hurt to tweak it and try something new every once in awhile.
LilyFlower8604
LilyFlower8604

http://xclusivelyjune.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 4th November 2010, 10:50 pm

Sebastain, I am so sorry to hear you are experiencing dryness. I noticed alot of people have that problem. I don't know your products/techniques/routine, but here are some things to keep in mind and maybe you can identify and remedy your issues with dryness.

Know your products and the ingredients in them. If there are ingredients that cause dry hair, get rid of them. Non-sulfate shampoo is important (some here co-wash instead). I am sold on leave-in conditioners (some people are not), but it has been a life saver for me to combat dry hair and tangles (If you are interested, Kimmaytube leave in is what I and many others use). Sleep on a satin pillowcase or use a satin scarf. Cotton absorbs all the moisture out of hair). Use a homemade or store bought spritz for moisture between washes. Stay away from flat irons, hair dryers, curling irons, and all these heat appliances. Use a solid conditioner after every wash (I do this weekly). Stay away from gels with alcohol. If you wear hats, caps, any headgear, wear a satin scarf underneath. Lock in moisture by sealing twists, braids, plaits. If you are in cold climate, you may have to do some protective styling to protect your ends. Hope something in this paragraph helps you identify your culprit(s).

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 4th November 2010, 11:29 pm

It took me about 4 months but I still have to tweak it from time to time as my hair gets longer.

Here's my regimen: prepoo, shampoo, condition/detangle, deep condition and style

I enjoy trying new products but I make sure when I do, they are things that my hair likes.

My advice to a newbie would be:

Try one new product at a time. This is key if you want to know if a product works or not. If you try 3 new products at once, and your hair ends up being dry, you wont know what caused it.

Use a product at least a month/3-4 times (depending on how often you wash your hair) before deciding if it works or not. You can't tell if you hair likes a product by using it once.

Purchase products based on how you wear your hair. If you dont wear wash n gos, then you dont need a big jar of gel.

Research products before you purchase them.
Don't go by one GREAT review. Check the ingredients first. Check forums and youtube for reviews. Check the website for reviews.

That's just a few I could think of right now. If I think of more, I will come back Wink
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by patmichele 5th November 2010, 7:01 pm

I've been wearing my hair in it's natural curly state since about April. it took me until about Sept. to realize i have a regimen. I shampoo with a sulfrate free shampoo about once a wk and cowash once a wk, DC, use leave in, oil to seal and style with every wash. The past few weeks i have been DC with every wash and/or cowash (5-10 mins w/co-wash) because i have had problems with dry hair. I've also been using a leave-in or spraying my hair with water at night and sealing my ends with a QP Elasta olive oil and mango butter. I have not experienced dry hair or ends since i added these few tweeks to my reg.
patmichele
patmichele

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 5th November 2010, 7:43 pm

From the BC it took about 60 days, but I kind of copied what other folks were doing and it worked for me. Now I'm working on finding my Holy Grails as far as products go. I think I've got it figured out for the summers, but for winter, we've only just begun.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 5th November 2010, 7:48 pm

it took me 3 months..i finally got one down!!! I use to cowash my hair daily but i had to take that out my regimen because i running through conditioner too fast!! so now i wash twice a week..
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 5th November 2010, 8:22 pm

Rayray, would you mind if I asked why you cowashed daily? I was just wondering because I have seen a number of people say the same. I can see it being done after BC in the case where there is a TWA and perhaps few style options. I am always looking to learn.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 5th November 2010, 8:39 pm

naturalnolagirl1900 wrote:Rayray, would you mind if I asked why you cowashed daily? I was just wondering because I have seen a number of people say the same. I can see it being done after BC in the case where there is a TWA and perhaps few style options. I am always looking to learn.

sure i cowashed daily when i was wearing a wash n go because i felt my curls look more refresh on freshly washed hair..because i have a twa in the morning it tends to look like a mashed mess!! lol so washing it brings my curls back..i dont co wash daily anymore though because walking outside now with a wet head would give me a cold..so now i do twist out (which i love) and i only wash my hair twice a week
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 5th November 2010, 8:48 pm

I am a little worried about the wet hair and cold weather too. Not sure how to solve this problem though since I am staying away from the hooded dryer due to heat damage in my crown. Just getting it to looking and acting reasonable again. It was misbehaving like a rebellious child. My hair takes so long to dry. I had to shelf the KKCC until warmer weather 'cause it takes forever to dry.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Niqui36 5th November 2010, 8:58 pm

My regimen is almost the same as when I was relaxed. I wash or cowash once a week (unless I'm in a protective style like minitwists which I am now), then I DC, detangle and then use a leave in and style (usually twists for a twistout).
Niqui36
Niqui36

Back to top Go down

Post by drmsd 7th November 2010, 9:37 am

Only my shampoo made it to the natural stage. It took a while because I would read about things, but not be able to try it because I was out of the country. During my break in August, I was finally able to get my hands on the ingredients for Kimmaytube's leave in and the QB creams. My hair has finally responded the way I wanted it to. In all it took me 7 months once I big chopped.
drmsd
drmsd

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down