CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My hair laughed at the flat iron

+11
KinkyNappyHappy
tiashaunteé
moonchild
BajanPrincess82
ChrsLvsBks
wyldhoney
fanmnatirel
letha
cluelesscurl
Lynnieluve
Juices-n-Berries
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

My hair laughed at the flat iron - Page 2 Empty Re: My hair laughed at the flat iron

Post by CocaColaCutie 21st October 2010, 3:25 pm

Juices-n-Berries wrote:I really don't know if blow drying would have helped because my hair was fully stretched it just wasn't straight. But I will definitely try that next time. It could be the solution.

I think for now I'm just gonna maybe put in some mini twists to take advantage of the length. Because i dont want to shock my hair too much. Sigh...

I used the silk elements heat protectant spray. They didn't have the olive oil one that coilskinkscurls used. So I got the regular one. But the good news is, they're both on sale right now.

I'm starting to think that not only stretching but smoothing the hair shaft is essential for a good flat iron job. If you feel funny about using direct heat twice maybe try roller setting.
CocaColaCutie
CocaColaCutie

Back to top Go down

My hair laughed at the flat iron - Page 2 Empty Re: My hair laughed at the flat iron

Post by suqiit 21st October 2010, 3:49 pm

Mine laughed at the flat iron this past weekend. I think I am going to get an OLD SCHOOL HOT COMB
suqiit
suqiit

Back to top Go down

Post by moonchild 21st October 2010, 5:03 pm

tiashaunteé wrote:
Here ya go:
http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/2009/11/roller-setting.html

However, I use way less products with this method now. My first time with it I was still experimenting

That's fabulous! I wish I could run home and try it now...

moonchild

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 21st October 2010, 5:10 pm

That method is a good method to try.. When I 1st started transitioning that was the only way I rollerset.. I guess I was into my 4-5 month and then that NG started getting thicker and thicker and that was b4 I discovered my Aussie Moist which I don't worry about tangles now.. I might start going back to that rollerset.. I have some Cream of Nature Argan Oil foam I haven't used yet this will be a perfect time to use that.. Tiashauntee thanks for reminding me on the cheat set its a shame when you forget certain thing I guess with all this NG I didn't think it still could work for me..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 21st October 2010, 5:13 pm

suqiit wrote:Mine laughed at the flat iron this past weekend. I think I am going to get an OLD SCHOOL HOT COMB

When you say ole school you mean the one on the stove right.. or in those ceramic stoves.. I had an electric one I gave my mom I think I might would have wished I kept that one now.. lol

Back then we used grease didn't matter what kind. What will you use on your hair something like a pressing cream?
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 21st October 2010, 5:54 pm

tiashaunteé wrote:If you roller-set, you should not need to blow dry. I simply roller-set and flat iron when dry (with a heat protectant). I am going to post a video sometime this weekend of my hair after just a roller-set and a medium flat iron.

I started to do a flat iron tutorial but opted not to because I didn't want to deal with all the anti-heat natural hair nazis. I may do it anyway one day in the future.

there are anti-heat natural hair nazis?? smh craziness
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 21st October 2010, 5:58 pm

dajewel wrote:
tiashaunteé wrote:If you roller-set, you should not need to blow dry. I simply roller-set and flat iron when dry (with a heat protectant). I am going to post a video sometime this weekend of my hair after just a roller-set and a medium flat iron.

I started to do a flat iron tutorial but opted not to because I didn't want to deal with all the anti-heat natural hair nazis. I may do it anyway one day in the future.

there are anti-heat natural hair nazis?? smh craziness

Girl yes! A lot of the flat iron tutorials had to disable comments because of them. That is ridiculous. It's like you are only free to speak your mine if you agree with the loudest of the masses.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 21st October 2010, 7:03 pm

look these anti-heat natural hair nazis need to stop acting like natural hair = earthyness and tree hugging (although i am a proponent of the environment). being natural is about changing it up all day everyday and us naturals encompass the whole spectrum of conservatism to liberalism. at the end of the day, they need to do them and we do we.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 21st October 2010, 7:17 pm

I was gonna ask you if you had a flat iron tutorial. You can just do for us (CN Family) and share it here. LOL!!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by suqiit 21st October 2010, 10:26 pm

letha wrote:
suqiit wrote:Mine laughed at the flat iron this past weekend. I think I am going to get an OLD SCHOOL HOT COMB

When you say ole school you mean the one on the stove right.. or in those ceramic stoves.. I had an electric one I gave my mom I think I might would have wished I kept that one now.. lol

Back then we used grease didn't matter what kind. What will you use on your hair something like a pressing cream?

Hmmm, because my stove is electric, I guess I would get the plug in kind. But I remember like yesterday my mother pressing my hair, and how I could hear the grease popping, all while I had to "hold my ears down". Things my own daughter will NEVER have to endure!!!!! I need to figure out what products to use too, because my hair straight is collar bone length and it has absolutely no weight. I got in my car and turned on the AC, my friend burst out laughing, telling me I was having a Marilyn Monroe moment because my hair literally flew away! Any suggestions ladies on a product that is heavy, but not greasy?
suqiit
suqiit

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 21st October 2010, 11:15 pm

If you should decide to pursue straightening your hair in the future you may consider going to a salon that uses an ceramic /ionic blow dryer and ionic ceramic tourmalin Flat Iron. As long as they use healthy products and a heat protectant, the hair comes out so frizz free, shiny, smooth, and silky, and it is a healthier experience for the hair compared to the traditional dryers and flat irons that dry the hair so badly. They use infrared heat, which is suppose to seal in the moisture. If they have a steamer and use it prior to blow dryer and flat ironing, that would be the ultimate. I know a lady who has them and she now basically cares for her hair at home. If you are more of a do-it-yourselfer, you may be interested in getting these 3 products. I have seen many ladies with natural hair have great results. Shouldn't be too difficult to find in Houston.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 21st October 2010, 11:22 pm

The flat iron I have is ceramic and tourmaline. It's a wigo. Here's the description.

The Wigo Pink Zebra 1" Ceramic Flat Iron uses passive ions and far-infrared heat to seal in the style for long lasting effects. Hair is softer, looks shinier and healthier without the frizz.
Professional Features:
Ceramic heaters procide super fast heat-up and instant heat recovery
Tourmaline + Nano-Ceramic, Micro-Shine smooth-surface styling plates
Variable heat settings up to 450° F
Moveable styling plates maintain full contact with hair
Seperate on/off switch
9 ft. professional swivel cord
Heat-resistant travel/storage pouch included
3-year warranty

It did wonders for my hair when relaxed. Did absolutely nothing with my natural hair.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 21st October 2010, 11:34 pm

I am not familiar with that brand. But, it seems the key is the complete process-- the shampoo, condish, protectant, the ionic hair dryer (this is very imp.) and then the ionic flat iron. Of course, all products are not equal. This particular shop where I have seen their work uses the HAI products. If you were to look at the before and after pics of these ladies, you would think your eyes were lying! Absolutely gorgeous results. These people get their hair done every week. I went twice, but I don't want heat on my hair often. I might go during the holidays. If I do, I will be sure and take pics.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 21st October 2010, 11:43 pm

My only issue with going to the salon is that I can't control what they're doing. And if I feel the heats too hot or they're not handling my hair properly, because I'm not a confrontational person, I would find it hard to speak up. Plus most people that get their natural hair straightened in the salon wear their hair straight, so they heat train their hair. I did this before, but now I am concerned mainly about preserving my curl pattern.

But definitely keep me posted and post pics.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 21st October 2010, 11:53 pm

I will. I understand what you are saying. I like my curls too cause God gave me these curls Very Happy

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2