CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fine Hair

+14
Butterfly125
SummerSkye
Curlock Holmes
naturallynola
DivaDreamgirl
KeAnia
happy2bcurly
LadyMika
wyldhoney
freckledmom4
Shrinkage
BrownSkinDiva
sugarplum85
jlowman1
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fine Hair Empty Fine Hair

Post by jlowman1 14th October 2010, 4:28 pm

When I was relaxed I had really thin flat hair. Now that I'm natural my hair has thickened up a little but it's still not as thick as I thought it would be. I would like to be able to wear twists without the "scalpy-ness." With twisouts, I have to really fluff to hide the parts and that makes me end up with alot of frizz. Do you guys think this will get better as I get more length?

Any suggestions/products/techniques?
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Fine Hair Empty Re: Fine Hair

Post by sugarplum85 15th October 2010, 9:14 am

I'll be watching this thread because I'm in the same boat!
sugarplum85
sugarplum85

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 15th October 2010, 12:44 pm

Be VERY careful with using brushes on your hair, because fine hair and brushes can have a love/hate relationship. I suggest, using softer bristled brushes. I have inherited some of my moms fine hair edges so I have to be very careful with brushing and the type of brushes I use...Hope this helps ladies!
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 15th October 2010, 3:25 pm

BrownSkinDiva wrote:Be VERY careful with using brushes on your hair, because fine hair and brushes can have a love/hate relationship. I suggest, using softer bristled brushes. I have inherited some of my moms fine hair edges so I have to be very careful with brushing and the type of brushes I use...Hope this helps ladies!

Thanks for that tip. I've been using regular brushes on my edges and they scrape my scalp. I'll try to find something softer.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrinkage 15th October 2010, 5:11 pm

Okay I am fine haired curly but my hair is really dense.. what i have found for twist out is to use less product.

When you unravel the twist into the two sections and separate, DO NOT separate all the way down, and just fluff that way. Fluff from underneath your hair and not from the top. It will add fullness without messing with the definition and causing frizz.

I also find that after wearing my twist out one day and re-twisting in bigger sections gives me more body and the parts disappear. Also never use a comb to make parts, just grab hair.

I never do my twist wet, I find that allowing my hair to dry first gives it more body and volume.

I agree with brushing..just invest in a boar bristle brush, it is softer and gentler on your scalp..

HTH
Shrinkage
Shrinkage

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 15th October 2010, 5:31 pm

My hair strands are fine too. When I wng it looks full but when I twist out it whittles down to nothing and on day 2 I always have a lot of frizz. Another this is that when I do 2 strand twists, they always unravel in the front, wet or dry so I'll be watching for tips as well.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by wyldhoney 16th October 2010, 4:45 pm

I have the double whammy of both fine and thin hair. Really and truly, I have learned to just live with it, when I have twists in. I don't wear plaits outside the house because it just looks ridiculous.

For twistouts, what works is minimal product, not parting with a comb, and fluffing from the bottom rather than the top.

Regular deep conditioning with castor oil, and increasing the level of protein in my diet has helped considerably, but I have come to terms with the fact that no matter what I do, my hair will be fine and thin. I love it anyway.
wyldhoney
wyldhoney

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 16th October 2010, 4:53 pm

I agree with Wyldhoney--protein is going to be your best friend (be it through direct application to the hair, or a change in diet). Try using lighter products and oils if you want to wear your hair out, and save the heavier oils, creams and butters for your protective styles.
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 16th October 2010, 10:42 pm

Okay ladies, last night I did an experiment with my hair using a variation of oooop2's method mentioned in the 3 month challenge.
I dc'ed with my hair in twists, untwisted, rinsed and retwisted. Once I got out of the shower, I took each twist out, added leave-in and SM smoothie and Giovanni's frizz serum, retwisted again, and sealed my ends with castor oil. A lot of work, but I was able to fluff the heck out of my hair without it getting frizzy. The results were very shiny and defined and full. I'll try a couple more times and report back with pics. Pinappleing tonight & hoping for the best.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 16th October 2010, 11:55 pm

GREAT SUGGESTIONS AND TIPS LADIES! Thanks! Very Happy

freckledmom4 wrote:Okay ladies, last night I did an experiment with my hair using a variation of oooop2's method mentioned in the 3 month challenge.
I dc'ed with my hair in twists, untwisted, rinsed and retwisted. Once I got out of the shower, I took each twist out, added leave-in and SM smoothie and Giovanni's frizz serum, retwisted again, and sealed my ends with castor oil. A lot of work, but I was able to fluff the heck out of my hair without it getting frizzy. The results were very shiny and defined and full. I'll try a couple more times and report back with pics. Pinappleing tonight & hoping for the best.

I didn't know Giovanni had a frizz serum. I've got to try that. I love their products, they do well in my hair.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 17th October 2010, 10:05 pm

^Yeah, I only got it because it was on sale @ Target. Seems to work pretty well though. My hair is still looking good on day 2.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by happy2bcurly 30th October 2010, 7:43 pm

I think I finally found the right thread. My hair is also thin and fine. I never could wear a fro but I like to do twist outs. Like some of you I don't wear twists away from home because of the scalpiness. my twist outs are also frizzy. What do ya'll mean when you say don't seperate all the way. i have found that lifting the roots with a pick helps too. I use a boar bristlle brush on my edges its softer than those plastic ones.
happy2bcurly
happy2bcurly

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 2nd November 2010, 11:43 pm

Hi Ladies

I am going to sit around and listen to what you guys are talking about. I have thin hair also even though most people don't seem to think so.
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by happy2bcurly 6th November 2010, 5:45 pm

shrinkage, I figured out what you meant when you said don't seperate all the way down. I use to seperate from the bottom up so I didn't understand. But now I seperate from the tip to the root and don't go all the way to the root then lift the roots with my pick. and it does help, thanks for the tip. Also I stopped parting and I like the results better.
happy2bcurly
happy2bcurly

Back to top Go down

Post by DivaDreamgirl 6th November 2010, 7:43 pm

It's funny that I ran across this thread today because I twisted my hair today and had the scalp problem as well. I was getting frustrated because I couldn't figure out why other naturals' twists always looked so puffy and full. scratch Now that I know I can style accordingly. I did finally figure out that "less is more" when it comes to stying though. I've only been completely natural for a little over 2 months and all this research had me trying so many products at once trying to make my hair act rightl.. only to leave it even more lifeless and frizzy. Now I just need a leave-in, a styling pudding/butter/etc., and shea butter to seal. It's great! And cheaper!! cheers
DivaDreamgirl
DivaDreamgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 6th November 2010, 8:01 pm

This is some good stuff in this thread. Also, when placing the twist/braids or plaits, if you use a brick pattern or horizontal instead of vertical parts in the back, the hair above the part will cover the part. People using castor oil have reported "thicker" hair. In case you are interested in trying them, some of the ayurvedic herbs promise "thicker" hair. Examples are henna, amla, and bhringraj to name a few. Some of the ladies here who have dabbled in ayurveda for some time can weigh in on this more than me.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlock Holmes 6th November 2010, 8:33 pm

i have fine hair and i just did a set of twists... it really makes a difference twisting on dry hair, and not parting. Also, if you do a set and you still find it too scalpy, next time make them a bit smaller. I recently found a size of twists that works for me, so i'll be doing them more often.
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 6th November 2010, 8:48 pm

CurlyDee wrote:i have fine hair and i just did a set of twists... it really makes a difference twisting on dry hair, and not parting. Also, if you do a set and you still find it too scalpy, next time make them a bit smaller. I recently found a size of twists that works for me, so i'll be doing them more often.

Your twists look GREAT in your avi! Did you blow-dry or air-dry before twisting?
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlock Holmes 7th November 2010, 1:55 am

thank you Smile That set I actually flat ironed lightly, but it came out just like a blow out would have. Those twists had more volume than ones done on air-dried hair.
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by SummerSkye 7th November 2010, 6:12 pm

On Friday night I washed and conditioned my fine head of hair in 5 sections. I rinsed most but not all of the conditioner out, applied a small amount of coconut oil to each section and retwisted.

I tied down my hair with a tshirt and by morning it was just a little damp. I set my twists for a twist out that morning and it was MUCH faster than doing it on wet hair.

It seems my fine hair likes to be manipulated for styling on damp hair versus wet hair. My feel didnt have that overly "stretchy" feel like it does when I style it wet. It made for a less aggravating styling session!

woot!
SummerSkye
SummerSkye

http://plumspectacles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 7th November 2010, 8:37 pm

I am so glad I found this thread. Like the rest of you, I have fine hair, and I have been afraid to do anything but a wet set with perm rods on my hair for fear of the "scalpiness" some of you ladies talked about. After reading this thread though, I am going to experiment with some twist outs next weekend (I'm off work for 4 days) when I have plenty of time for trial and error.

I'll be glad to report back, but I don't know how to post pics here Embarassed
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by caracara01 30th November 2010, 6:24 pm

I have fine, thin hair. My avatar is a twistout look done with Kimmaytube leave in. I

I wear twist outs 75 percent of the time and I prefer damp to dry twistouts (to prevent shrinkage) and reduce the scalpiness. I also fluff from the roots only. My twistouts seem to look better with 20-30 twists.

If you look at my fotki, you can see how my twa was a fine texture and it remains that way now. I have come to realize after almost 16 months post BC, my hair is never going to be thick, but it doesnt mean I have to look bald--I just work with it.

caracara01
caracara01

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 30th November 2010, 7:15 pm

Hi Fine Haired Friends,

My hair is fine and of a medium thickness. I have a CurlStreet Journal where I've talked about my hair. I'm not wearing twists in public. Too much scalp. I have been wearing twistouts, but I have alot of frizz at the roots. I'm currently trying to work through that.

I was using a DC with protien, but then fell in love with DB DC Mask. I decided I need to go back to alternating between protein and non-protein DC. I'm also going to go back to Nexxus' protein products. They were very good for my hair when I was relaxed.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 30th November 2010, 7:58 pm

caracara01 wrote:I have fine, thin hair. My avatar is a twistout look done with Kimmaytube leave in. I

I wear twist outs 75 percent of the time and I prefer damp to dry twistouts (to prevent shrinkage) and reduce the scalpiness. I also fluff from the roots only. My twistouts seem to look better with 20-30 twists.

If you look at my fotki, you can see how my twa was a fine texture and it remains that way now. I have come to realize after almost 16 months post BC, my hair is never going to be thick, but it doesnt mean I have to look bald--I just work with it.

Caracara02 - your hair looks JUST like mine. I have fine thin hair and rather than try and thicken it up, I am trying to learn to work with what I have. lol I am going to try untwisting from the tips and just fluffing the roots like some have suggested. And I am going to try and have more twists in my head. I think I have less than 12 when I do them right now. Do you twists your hair every night and wear twists out throughout the week? Have you found a good gel/cream that you like to use for WnGs when you wear them. I get major shrinkage so I have shied away from them.
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybug 1st December 2010, 12:18 am

I have fine hair as well and my twists look pitiful, so I have been sticking to wash and gos for public viewing. I read another thread about your scalp showing and Lynnieluve recommended using the brick method when twisting your hair. This essentially means you stagger your twists, so your scalp won't show as much. Here's the link.http://newlynatural.com/blog/2009/10/my-tips-for-twists-done-on-dry-hair/

I haven't tried it but it seems like the technique will work.

There's another helpful link on fine hair:
http://newlynatural.com/blog/category/fine-hair/

My hair is fuller when I do twists on dry or slightly damp hair.
ladybug
ladybug

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next