CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My boyfriend loves it

+8
sweetdrk1
ChardaeD
gmAKA1709
BattleKat
Ebbz
molove87
purplec18
Divinebeauty87
12 posters

Go down

My boyfriend loves it Empty My boyfriend loves it

Post by Divinebeauty87 9th October 2010, 4:58 am

So, after nearly a year of wearing my hair either in a natural, weaved, or half wig states state... I am so happy to report that my boyfriend has started to request seeing my hair in a twistout only! He thinks it looks the best. I am surprised since he met me while wearing a permed straight weave. Honestly, his opinion was a concern of mine while going on this natural hair journey. Is anyone else happy about their significant other loving their natural hair? I know I am :-)
Divinebeauty87
Divinebeauty87

Back to top Go down

My boyfriend loves it Empty Re: My boyfriend loves it

Post by purplec18 9th October 2010, 10:02 am

Thats great...i'm happy for you...that really helps boosts your confindence and helps you along the journey when you know you have the support of your significant other...I dont have one...but I got alot of comments from guys who like me and guy friends who love the fact that i'm on the road to loving my natural hair
purplec18
purplec18

Back to top Go down

Post by molove87 9th October 2010, 4:02 pm

That's always a good feeling when the people around you are supportive about your hair. In the beginning my bf wasn't sure about my decision but I think it was because I WASN'T lol. He didn't understand why I was changing this about myself if it got my so frustrated.. but that was the beginning because I love my hair now. Of course knowing how to style always helps!! He's fine with the decision, he tries to compete with me to get his "waves poppin" like mine Very Happy but I tell him he can't do it better than me because I did it first!! He tells me he misses my straight hair sometimes, which I can understand because that's how I have worn my hair the 5yrs of knowing him.. so I straightened it for him since I hadn't been straight since July. He's never complained about my curls, which of course makes ME happy. I never realized until this transition how much of a big deal hair is!
molove87
molove87

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebbz 9th October 2010, 4:35 pm

Mine wasn't happy with the short hair when I BC'd but when he saw my twists, he fell in love. I tried to wear a tam on day when we were goin out to eat and he threw a fit saying that I should take it off and show off my hair! I was shocked. He was always supportive through my transition and he always told me how happy he was that I was making the decision, he was just against the short look but now, he's just happy that its all natural and that I embrace it. It's very helpful when you have someone who is willing to support you and who loves you for you.
Ebbz
Ebbz

https://www.facebook.com/ekragin or www.twitter.com/TRUELIFE_ebbz

Back to top Go down

Post by BattleKat 14th October 2010, 11:59 pm

My hubby was not happy with my cut but he did say he prefers the twist on me.
BattleKat
BattleKat

Back to top Go down

Post by gmAKA1709 15th October 2010, 12:33 am

I want a boyfriend. lol
gmAKA1709
gmAKA1709

Back to top Go down

Post by ChardaeD 17th October 2010, 8:11 pm

My boyfriend HATES my hair. I didn't know how he felt about it until today. He actually told me that he finds me more attractive with straight hair (how he met me) than my natural, curly hair. Apparently he's not attracted to women with curly hair at all, I think that has to do with his upbringing-- he comes from a traditional Chinese family. And...he had the nerve to ask me to straighten my hair sometimes. I don't think I'm out of place by wanting to curse him out. Any thoughts?
ChardaeD
ChardaeD

http://girlnotondeadline.blgospot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 17th October 2010, 9:06 pm

My honey had comments in the beginning and when I had it blown out for my 1 year mark.
him: why you do that?
me: do what?
him: get a perm, I liked the curls
me: rolling my eyes.."sheddup"

the bottom line is he loves you. @ ChardaeD I wouldn't curse him out..he will come around. I am sure it was more than your hair that attracted him from the beginning.
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Divinebeauty87 18th October 2010, 2:34 pm

@ChardaeD that is so unfortunate, but I think he will eventually come around to finding the "natural you" the most attractive.

When i started wearing my hair natural majority of the time I was so concerned that my boyfriend saw me as the most attractive when I straightened my hair. I even think I acted "sexier" when my hair was straight. The more comfortable I became the more he loved my hair natural (plus, I finally got the hang of styling it). However this weekend my man also told me he likes short hair better. I appreciate his honesty, I will NOT cut this hair that took so long to grow for any man. Lol.
Divinebeauty87
Divinebeauty87

Back to top Go down

Post by BigLipTiff 18th October 2010, 8:58 pm

My boyfriend wants me to get a relaxer. He likes my hair straight, and reminds me of it often. He never compliments my hair, which I've been changing up very often since I've be transitioning, unless it's been flat ironed or blown out.

Crazy thing is I've had much more confidence with all these new styles and looks I've been trying. The bottom line is that I DO want my man to be happy with the way my hair looks, I won't be getting a relaxer just because that's what he likes. Sorry Buddy!
BigLipTiff
BigLipTiff

Back to top Go down

Post by cocomizu 8th November 2010, 8:40 pm

ChardaeD hmmm that sounds so strange. If that's you in your avatar you are a stunning woman and your hair fits your face and features so beautifully.Not to sound mean, but if your man REALLY wanted someone with Asian features like long straight hair, then maybe he should have chosen such a woman to begin with? Ironically, many Asians in Japan get afro perms to look cool. I can only guess hair is just one small part of his attraction to you. We all have things about our mates that don't necessarily excite us, but in the big picture those things shouldn't matter much- especially not enough to degrade our love's self esteem.

My man loves my hair, but he in general just prefers black women to wear their real hair whether it's relaxed or natural. He also likes the super short buzzed look on black women with those perfectly elegant and round heads. Unfortunately, I am not one of those women! Occasionally we do butt heads on protective styles like cornrolls and locs etc. He loves them, I don't.He would like me to loc again, but locing was hard on my fine strands and I prefer loose hair. I will two strand twist sometimes, and he complements me most when I do.

cocomizu

Back to top Go down

Post by ChardaeD 8th November 2010, 11:17 pm

@ cocmizu-- thanks or the compliment. My bf is the only person to say anything negative about my hair. I value his thoughts on most things, except this. I'm trying to live a healthier, stress-free lifestyle, and you'd think he'd be all thumbs about it (med school student, and an elitist one at that).

He has requested that I wear my hair straight for Thanksgiving dinner. He's flying to TX from MD so we can drive to my family's house in Houston for dinner. The nerve!

It's funny-- I'm totally down to wear his favorite jeans, sexy dress, whatever...but change my hair? Oh puhleez. He knows I am not the one.

Funny story-- I tried a faux hawk for the first time Sunday and it was something fierce! Sent a pic to my mom, mentioned the pic to the bf. He says, "can I see it?" I reply, "Why? It's not like you're going to appreciate my work?" I know, low blow.

ChardaeD
ChardaeD

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 9th November 2010, 12:52 am

ChardaeD wrote:@ cocmizu-- thanks or the compliment. My bf is the only person to say anything negative about my hair. I value his thoughts on most things, except this. I'm trying to live a healthier, stress-free lifestyle, and you'd think he'd be all thumbs about it (med school student, and an elitist one at that).

I suggest that you have him watch the "Good Hair" movie. As a med school student, he should not want you to jeopardize your health in order to have straight hair for him.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by cocomizu 9th November 2010, 5:10 pm

Naturally Esq wrote:
ChardaeD wrote:@ cocmizu-- thanks or the compliment. My bf is the only person to say anything negative about my hair. I value his thoughts on most things, except this. I'm trying to live a healthier, stress-free lifestyle, and you'd think he'd be all thumbs about it (med school student, and an elitist one at that).

I suggest that you have him watch the "Good Hair" movie. As a med school student, he should not want you to jeopardize your health in order to have straight hair for him.

That's a great suggestion Naturally Esq! Sometimes when we date inter-culturally (and I have dated some lovely men from other cultures) they are not all that informed. Maybe putting a health spin on it will help educate and get him to appreciate your choices. I joke with my man that one of the best things about dating a black man is he knows how to shape up my kitchen and the shaved side of my head because my hair is like his. Very Happy

cocomizu

Back to top Go down

Post by ChardaeD 9th November 2010, 8:17 pm

I just might have to do that! But he's not completely clueless, because I know he's dated other black girls before me. He just likes it straight-- doesn't matter if the girl is Hispanic, Middle Eastern, West Indian, whatever. But that's okay because come Thanksgiving, I'm breaking out the faux hawk and he'll just have to deal with it.
ChardaeD
ChardaeD

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 16th November 2010, 1:41 pm

My husband's exact words: It's REALLY cute...fits you perfectly! So I'm lovin' him for that. Like you, ChardaeD, and others, I was going to go natural anyway because it's what I wanted, but his support just makes it easier. When I told him I was thinking about BCing (which I haven't done), he jokingly said, "Go ahead, I cut all my hair off all the time," he's bald so he shaves his head...lol.
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down