CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it really possible to transition with braid outs until Im ready to chop?

+4
mrsrenaissance
Muz
cluelesscurl
chynadoll8799
8 posters

Go down

Is it really possible to transition with braid outs until Im ready to chop? Empty Is it really possible to transition with braid outs until Im ready to chop?

Post by chynadoll8799 3rd October 2010, 5:45 pm

Ive been 5 months without a relaxer.
Im enjoying my braid outs.
Im not so good at twist outs. they dont like me, I dont like them.
Im experimenting wtih products and styles.
I even flat iron here and there in memory of my relaxer.

I dont like weaves on me. I dont like braids-dont have the time, money, or effort to sit for hours getting braids. I dont like short hair on me so a big chop is out. My hair is down to my breasts. The relaxed hair seems to be getting thinner and thinner. Or is it REALLY? Does it just SEEM that way since my roots are PUFFIN and POPPIN?

Has anyone here ever transitioned fully (like a year or more) with JUST braid outs and twist outs?
I got some advice today from a friend who has been natural for TEN YEARS. She told me to just keep using the straightening comb-warm, not hot.
I do not want to transition for 1, 2, 3 years only to have heat damage. Then Id have to transition again. URGH. i'll be a grandmother before im fully natural.

advice?
thanks in advance!

chynadoll8799

Back to top Go down

Is it really possible to transition with braid outs until Im ready to chop? Empty Re: Is it really possible to transition with braid outs until Im ready to chop?

Post by cluelesscurl 3rd October 2010, 6:21 pm

I transitioned with twist outs. I did a mini-chop cause of the relaxed ends. I wasn't feeling the two textures. You most certainly can transition that way. Keep in mind your hair is adjusting to the changes that you made and will take time before you see results. Don't give up. I've been there.

cluelesscurl

Back to top Go down

Is it really possible to transition with braid outs until Im ready to chop? Empty Re: Is it really possible to transition with braid outs until Im ready to chop?

Post by Muz 3rd October 2010, 7:10 pm

Yes it's possible I did mostly braid-outs, twist-outs, and bantu-knot outs. For twist-outs, try rolling the ends of the hair vertically (like you're trying to get curly sue curls) up to the line of demarcation (using the rod from regular sponge rollers, just take the sponge/satin covered sponge off and use the rod itself), it makes it easier for the relaxed ends to blend with the natural hair Smile This will probably also work for braids Wink
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsrenaissance 3rd October 2010, 10:07 pm

I've been transitioning 18 mths. I'm also not a weave or braid person. When I started my hair was bra strap length in back so I didn't want to chop it all off either. For the 1st 6 mths I did rollersets (but didn't flat iron the new growth, I was fine just using moisturizer & gel to smooth my edges).

Eventually, as my hair grew it became harder to detangle & I was shampooing more often (due to my work out schedule) so I started trying other styles. Whenever I want to wear my hair out now I do a braid out, otherwise it's in a bun. I love both styles & get compliments with either. I still haven't figured out how to get more than 2 dys out of a braid out though.

So yes, it's possible!

Last edited by mrsrenaissance on 3rd October 2010, 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
mrsrenaissance
mrsrenaissance

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 3rd October 2010, 10:11 pm

I wore a lot of twist and curls when I was transitioning and roller sets.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 4th October 2010, 12:06 am

I transitioned for seven months with braidouts. Because of the relaxed ends twistouts didn't work for me. A twist n curl is better with relaxed ends.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyu 4th October 2010, 11:48 pm

yes, it is possible. braidouts seem to be your "go to" style for transitioning. I have been transitioning for almost two years and the style that I use most often is a rollerset or rodset. That is just the easiest style for me to maintain with my texture. I have incorporated other styles into my regimen but I most often go back to rollersetting over time. It's just easier for me.
naturallyu
naturallyu

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 5th October 2010, 12:42 pm

I only transitioned about 4 1/2 months but it is definitely possible to go longer with braid outs. They blend the two textures very well. You may even wanna try rolling the ends like some of the ladies suggested.

My go to styles were bantu knot outs, braidouts and roller sets.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down