CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bleach ate my hair out

3 posters

Go down

Bleach ate my hair out Empty Bleach ate my hair out

Post by krys419 27th September 2010, 11:51 am

Okay. been transitioning for 10 months..at 9 and a half months I decided to get a curly bushy weave. I purchased the hair and since the front of my hair was recently dyed brown I decided to get a dark brown weave.

At the shop the ;ady swore up and down it was teh right color. But when I took it out the netting on the package at the salon both me and the lady at the salon were shocked the hair was light brown actually. But it was a cute color except my hair would not match. She said she will color strip my hair with low level bleach and I said okay. I told her I dyed my hair a few weeks ago and she said it was okay. So after she weaved me up there was the small portion of my hair that was left out on the side for a side part. so she dyed color stripped my hair and because my hair was dyed red it was more an orangey than a light brown, and it was taking a long time so she upped the level of bleech and it looks good and everything, but when I got home i noticed I have a bald spot on my head like the size of a dime. It's in the front so I guess my hair couldnt not handle it in the front of my head because that hair is more fragile.

I'm not mad at her, just mad at myself for letting it happen. My PERMED hair had fallen out like 3 yeard ago by breaking off a little when I bleached it, but that was because I was not caring for it and bleech, plus color, plus perm is just asking for problems no matter HOW think your hair is, so I assumed that my hair could now handle bleach especially my hair being natural, but I guess the fact that I recently dyed it is what caused the bald spot. You can't see it because I have enough hair to cover it and it is growing back, but I'm just upset I did this to myself. Now instead of having all evenly 10 month new growth I have 10 month on one side and 2 weeks on that dime of hair. And i think actually when she rinsed it out she did not get all the bleach out. UGH That is probably what happened

Any suggestions to help grow it fatser? I know the front and back of hair grows slowest. I have some vitamin E oil. Do you think it will help? THANKS

krys419

Back to top Go down

Bleach ate my hair out Empty Re: Bleach ate my hair out

Post by rayray19 27th September 2010, 6:48 pm

I heard rosemary oil and peppermint oil helps with hair growth...but as long as you keep it moisturized it should grow out healthy
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by Thetruthisoutthere 27th September 2010, 8:11 pm

You have my sympathy. It happened to me once before. Stylist gave me highlights with a frosting cap. Came back to her for a relaxer touch up 6-7 weeks later. Noticed not long after that my bangs "looked kinda short". Strange, because I don't remember her evening them up that day.

Started noticing breakage like gangbusters! Have you heard horror stories of women waking up with their hair all over the pillow? It wasn't nearly that drastic, but all those highlights started breaking off. My hair had broken cowlicks all over the crown!

I went to another stylist who gave me a treatment and cut it for me. Never went back to that other woman's salon again.

Please, consider getting an Aphogee pack from Sally's if you haven't done so already. They sell it in single treatment packs. Make sure you generously moisturize (DT) afterwards. No other protein conditioners.

HTH.
Thetruthisoutthere
Thetruthisoutthere

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 28th September 2010, 9:51 pm

Thanks! I will do what you all recommended.

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by Thetruthisoutthere 29th September 2010, 4:27 pm

Dear krys315,

krys315 wrote:, but when I got home i noticed I have a bald spot on my head like the size of a dime. It's in the front so I guess my hair couldnt not handle it in the front of my head because that hair is more fragile.

Please do not go to that stylist EVER again.

1. Have a friend examine that "bald spot" for you.

2. Have the friend check your scalp for other "bald spots".

3. Take notice of an increase in hair fall, or loosely attached hairs in and around the "spot".

4. Monitor the spot to see if it gets any bigger.

If you notice any of these signs/symptoms, please see your health care provider or get a referral to a dermatologist. A smooth, shiny spot could likely be alopecia; either traction alopecia or alopecia areata. A dermatologist will assess it and develop a treatment plan if necessary.

HTH

Last edited by Thetruthisoutthere on 29th September 2010, 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addendum)
Thetruthisoutthere
Thetruthisoutthere

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 29th September 2010, 8:38 pm

Thetruthisoutthere

isn't alopecia caused from wearing too tight braids? Or Wearing glue on your hair?

1, 2, and 3 I examined the spot when it happened and yes it was a little thin around the spot, but I know bleach would not just eat out a perfect dime sized hair and have the perimiter of it perfect.

4. it hasn't gotten bigger in 4 weeks. I have been applying vitamin e oil to it just to sooth it and keep it moisturized

And yeah it was a little shiny, but basically it's bleach so I know it burned my hair off, like leaving a relaxer on too long would. The skin was irritated. it was a month ago so it's fine now, but the hair is still trying to grow in, especially because that hair grows so slow. i would say I have about an 8th of an inch or a 16th of an inch there right now. But then again I'm not sure. i think they say you have to wait 3 to 6 months after bleach leave a bald spot to see if the root was ruined and if the hair will grow back or not. I think my hair will grow back. because it wasn't burning or anything. i don't tknow. I think it was a mishap.

i don't know if I will go to her again, but she is a really nice lady (she offered to bleach/color the hair for free) and great with natural hair. Also, my hair hasn't fallen out or anythign on the other bleached hair that was left on the same time. I actually think the problem was it getting on my scalp in that spot. Bleach is not meant for the scalp, but for the hair. If she had overprocessed my HAIR I think it would have all fallen out or would be breaking off right now, and it's not, it's justthe area at the scalp.

poor me.

Thanks so much!

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down