CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ready For Natural

2 posters

Go down

Ready For Natural Empty Ready For Natural

Post by txmama34 15th September 2010, 5:00 pm

hello all!!! My name is Tanya i currently love in Texas and I am ready to start the natural process...as of today i havent had a relaxer in about 3 months. Im starting to notice some breakage (which I read to expect)...are there any products that can be used on my hair to give it moisture and prevent breakage? I have tried to use some products but find that they dry my hair out more!

txmama34

Back to top Go down

Ready For Natural Empty Re: Ready For Natural

Post by Janique 15th September 2010, 6:22 pm

What products have you tried using so far???
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by txmama34 15th September 2010, 6:44 pm

Janique wrote:What products have you tried using so far???
I have tried Carols Daughters Hair Milk and it does "ok"...mainly I have been using Optimum Hair Therapy...

txmama34

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 15th September 2010, 8:04 pm

Carol's daughter I've heard mixed reviews about since they've become a more mainstream company....Optimum therapy I used when I was relaxed...but it wasn't that great....products I have had success with are more natural lines such as Giovanni...yes to carrots or yes to cucumbers.....other more mainstream brands I like are aussie moist conditioner....It's also very important to use a water based moisturizer in your hair...meaning the first ingredient is water, and then seal moisture into your hair with an oil or butter like extra virgin love oil, shea butter, extra virgin coconut oil, castor oil....the list goes on. It will be a lot of trial and error figuring out what works best for your hair, but it's important to start treating your hair like it's already all natural.... a lot of shampoos on the market have sulfates that dry out hair, expecially natural hair since it needs a lot of moisture, so you can find shampoos that don't have these sulfates or are low in sulfates....also try putting ur hair in more styles that protect your ends so that they aren't so exposed to the elements....
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by txmama34 16th September 2010, 11:03 pm

Janique wrote:Carol's daughter I've heard mixed reviews about since they've become a more mainstream company....Optimum therapy I used when I was relaxed...but it wasn't that great....products I have had success with are more natural lines such as Giovanni...yes to carrots or yes to cucumbers.....other more mainstream brands I like are aussie moist conditioner....It's also very important to use a water based moisturizer in your hair...meaning the first ingredient is water, and then seal moisture into your hair with an oil or butter like extra virgin love oil, shea butter, extra virgin coconut oil, castor oil....the list goes on. It will be a lot of trial and error figuring out what works best for your hair, but it's important to start treating your hair like it's already all natural.... a lot of shampoos on the market have sulfates that dry out hair, expecially natural hair since it needs a lot of moisture, so you can find shampoos that don't have these sulfates or are low in sulfates....also try putting ur hair in more styles that protect your ends so that they aren't so exposed to the elements....
Thank u soooo much!! didnt knoiw all this info! lol...i tried over the weekend to twist my hair it came out half way cute looolll...but i will def look into these products! where is Giovanni sold?

txmama34

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 17th September 2010, 12:13 am

It's a lot of information I know lol...and there's even more! But Giovanni is sold at Walmart....I think Target...Ulta....and if you want it for the low low at Marshall's or TJ Maxx lol..and for twisting I have used ORS twist and lock gel...it's very decent and doesn't have mineral oil or petroleum which can weight the hair down and seal out moisture....that you can get at a beauty supply store or Walmart if it has a a big enough "ethnic" hair care section.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by txmama34 17th September 2010, 2:31 pm

Janique wrote:It's a lot of information I know lol...and there's even more! But Giovanni is sold at Walmart....I think Target...Ulta....and if you want it for the low low at Marshall's or TJ Maxx lol..and for twisting I have used ORS twist and lock gel...it's very decent and doesn't have mineral oil or petroleum which can weight the hair down and seal out moisture....that you can get at a beauty supply store or Walmart if it has a a big enough "ethnic" hair care section.

i need all the info i can get! lol...my friend sent me a link for design essentials natural line..i guess i will have to read the ingerdients in that...speaking of which if its not too much, what products should i stay away from? i see u mentioned mineral and pertroleum oils...what oils "lock" in moisture? i have tried to research some stuff but get different things lol
water should be the first ingredient on the label right?

txmama34

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 17th September 2010, 10:21 pm

Well it might not be necessary to go the expensive route first. there are plenty of cheaper products that work well. And I've realized sometimes it's best to stick to the basics. Oils like olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, grapeseed oil, there's a whole lot lol....can help lock in moisture. Some people still use products with mineral oil and petroleum, but many greases and pomades have them and they can weigh the hair down and make it dry. Also some silicones can weigh the hair down but not all silicones are bad. If you can, I would suggest buying Chicoro's book Grow It. Seeing all the information in book form is what helped me learn so much about healthy hair care practices and growing my hair longer and healthier. Having to sift through so much information can be very overwhelming.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by txmama34 20th September 2010, 7:21 pm

I will see if i can find that book becuz ur right all this info is quite overwhelming!! lol

txmama34

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 20th September 2010, 7:40 pm

You can find it on Amazon.com. But just start little by little. Use some better products and find a detangling method that works for you, and you should be ok. There is so much info on this website alone and there are 100's more!
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down