CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Henna during transition?

3 posters

Go down

Henna during transition? Empty Henna during transition?

Post by BigLipTiff 7th September 2010, 10:32 pm

Hi Ladies!

I've been doing lots of research and I'm thinking I want to go ahead and attempt my first henna. I almost 7 months into transition, and I don't plan to BC for quite some time. The last time my hair was colored was in mid May...I've read that there shouldn't be any problem with this. Basically my question is do you think it's a good idea to henna my transitioning hair? If so, any advice/tips?

Thanks! Smile
BigLipTiff
BigLipTiff

Back to top Go down

Henna during transition? Empty Re: Henna during transition?

Post by Curlock Holmes 8th September 2010, 2:04 am

Henna seems to strengthen most people's hair, and for that reason I'd say henna for a transitioner may be okay. The only thing I would be worried about is that henna can make your hair feel dry and hard right after rinsing it out, and it takes most people a good DC (or maybe even 2 or 3) to get their feeling normal again. That might cause an issue when you're trying to style your hair, as the demarcation line is fragile enough as it is.

I would suggest if you'd like to try henna, do a henna gloss your first time. That way you're getting some benefits of henna AND some conditioning, and you can try a full-strength henna later if your hair does well with the gloss. Hopefully there is a henna-head out there who did so when she was transitioning and can give you some tips.

Very Happy

HTH!
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by BigLipTiff 8th September 2010, 2:55 pm

I was initially thinking that the strength that henna would give my hair would probably help the demarcation line. Now that I've read your response it probably is idea to go the gloss route first.

Thanks CurlyDee
BigLipTiff
BigLipTiff

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 10th September 2010, 1:10 pm

Hi Tiff,
I transitioned for 6 months and henna'ed atleast 3 or 4 times before I bc'ed. When I looked at my relaxed ends after I chopped, they looked strong and healthy. I'm sure the henna had a lot to do with it. Try CN's gloss recipe to see if you like it.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down