CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shedded hair? Is this about right?

+13
ladygogohot
Deva_87
JazmineB
Nessa101
Curliana
sonance
Umph
Naturally Esq
DrCare
BajanPrincess82
kdarren_07
tiashaunteé
summerbreeze76
17 posters

Go down

Shedded hair? Is this about right? Empty Shedded hair? Is this about right?

Post by summerbreeze76 30th August 2010, 9:01 pm

I just washed my hair and i am wondering if this is about the right amount of hair from shedding. I havent washed it in the last 15 days. I was wearing it in twists and then a twist out puff for the last week. So does this seem about right or is it too much??
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
summerbreeze76
summerbreeze76

Back to top Go down

Shedded hair? Is this about right? Empty Re: Shedded hair? Is this about right?

Post by tiashaunteé 30th August 2010, 10:08 pm

I have way more than that we I only go a week. Looks find to me but to be on the safe side examine your hairs and make sure they are truly shed hairs and not breakage.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Shedded hair? Is this about right? Empty HELP!! lol

Post by kdarren_07 3rd September 2010, 3:01 pm

My hair sheeds a lot as well n its kinda of scary cuz i wonder why its sheeding so much. This a good thread because this is something iv been wondering about for a while...

kdarren_07

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 3rd September 2010, 11:49 pm

I shed a lot too. After 15 days of not washing my hair I'd probably have enough shed hair for a small afro puff. lol. My personal opinion is if you don't have bald/thinning spots and its not coming out in clumps, you are OK!
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Shedded hair? Is this about right? Empty Financially Happy Product Advice for Natural Hair!

Post by DrCare 4th September 2010, 6:32 pm

I am a college student and I need advice on what products will be good for my hair.. I did the bc Dec 1 2009. And I don't have a concrete regimen. I am going through withdrawal from being a product junkie when I used to have a job.. but now I want to know if what I am using is right for my 4a/4b crown. My goal is to have long, curly healthy hair.

Shampoo with Suave Aloe Vera and Ginseng 100& Shampoo
conditioner Suave Almond and Shea Butter
Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion
Doo gro Mega Thick Hair Vitalizer

thanks in advance,

DrCare
DrCare
DrCare

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 4th September 2010, 7:27 pm

DrCare wrote:I am a college student and I need advice on what products will be good for my hair.. I did the bc Dec 1 2009. And I don't have a concrete regimen. I am going through withdrawal from being a product junkie when I used to have a job.. but now I want to know if what I am using is right for my 4a/4b crown. My goal is to have long, curly healthy hair.

Shampoo with Suave Aloe Vera and Ginseng 100& Shampoo
conditioner Suave Almond and Shea Butter
Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion
Doo gro Mega Thick Hair Vitalizer

thanks in advance,

DrCare

How are the products working for you? The shampoo and the Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion are NOT sulfate free, so that maybe drying to your hair. The Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion and the Doo gro, contain petrolatum and many of the other ingredients are NOT good.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Umph 4th September 2010, 7:33 pm

Doo gro Mega Thick Hair Vitalizer Ingredients:

Petrolatum , Microcrystalline Wax , Paraffin , Oat Protein , Dimethicone Copolyol Eicosanate , Oat Extract Meadowfoam Seed Oil , Shea Butter Extract , Tocopherol (Vitamin E) , Retinol (Vitamin A) , Calendula Extract , Wild Cherry Bark Extract , Goldenseal Root Extract , Henna Extract , Hops Extract , Horsetail Plant Extract , Matricaria Extract , Soap Bark Extract , Lanolin , Safflower Oil , Propylparaben , Fragrance , Green 6 (CI 61565)

I am far from being an expert, but I'm sure there are some ingredients listed that aren't good for our hair/scalp...

Umph
Umph

Back to top Go down

Post by DrCare 5th September 2010, 5:46 pm

Come to think of it my hair is dry. Thanks I am going to redo my regimen. Any more advice keep thing coming.
DrCare
DrCare

Back to top Go down

Post by sonance 5th September 2010, 9:00 pm

I tend to shed alot if I don't detange it with conditioner in the shower EVERDAY. I mean EVERYDAY!!! I just came back from a mini, mini vacation and didn't bring my detangling comb wiht me and had to rake the conditioner with my fingers. man....the shedding I had when I finally did my comb thru was a little scary.
sonance
sonance

http://www.seriouslynatural.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Curliana 6th September 2010, 6:09 am

I found that I have a lot less shed hair when I plan to condition and detangle in advance. I lather my hair in some sort of conditioner or dc treatment and sleep with my hair in a shower cap. Usually the next day my hair is soft and 10x more manageable.
Curliana
Curliana

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessa101 6th September 2010, 10:27 am

I would say the shedding you are experiencing is alot. I don't know your regime, but all I can say is when I wash my hair which I washed yesterday I don't experience that much shedding. I used to experiece about that much shedding last year when I was using too much heat on my hair and my hair was really dry and brittle and during that time I didn't you were supposed to seal the hair with something so I would just moisturize and the next day my hair felt dry again.

It barely sheds now though. I put some coconut oil in my hair the night before I wash. Then on wash day I just seperate into 5 or 6 sections and tie with a rubberband. I let the shower water run over my hair and I wash it in sections while detangling with my fingers. When I get out the shower I use hello hydration conditioner and detangle again this time with the big toothed comb. After I rinse out the conditioner I braid my hair while moisturizing it and sealing it with coconut oil. HTH!
Nessa101
Nessa101

Back to top Go down

Post by JazmineB 8th September 2010, 10:36 am

Umph wrote:Doo gro Mega Thick Hair Vitalizer Ingredients:

Petrolatum , Microcrystalline Wax , Paraffin , Oat Protein , Dimethicone Copolyol Eicosanate , Oat Extract Meadowfoam Seed Oil , Shea Butter Extract , Tocopherol (Vitamin E) , Retinol (Vitamin A) , Calendula Extract , Wild Cherry Bark Extract , Goldenseal Root Extract , Henna Extract , Hops Extract , Horsetail Plant Extract , Matricaria Extract , Soap Bark Extract , Lanolin , Safflower Oil , Propylparaben , Fragrance , Green 6 (CI 61565)

I am far from being an expert, but I'm sure there are some ingredients listed that aren't good for our hair/scalp...

well the first ingredient is petrolatum. . .you definitely aren't supposed to put that on your scalp, because it sits on top of the skin, blocks out moisture, & clogs the pores.
honestly i used to put vaseline in my hair when i didn't know better and it grew fine(at the same rate), but i wouldn't recommend it.
Bee mine has all natural growth serums, if you're looking drcare
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by JazmineB 8th September 2010, 10:40 am

sonance wrote:I tend to shed alot if I don't detange it with conditioner in the shower EVERDAY. I mean EVERYDAY!!! I just came back from a mini, mini vacation and didn't bring my detangling comb wiht me and had to rake the conditioner with my fingers. man....the shedding I had when I finally did my comb thru was a little scary.

you're supposed to have more shed hair if you don't detangle everyday. because the shed hair gets trapped and collects and looks like a lot when you finally get it all out. you shouldn't be scared. it depends on the thickness/density of your hair too
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 8th September 2010, 10:42 am

JazmineB wrote:
sonance wrote:I tend to shed alot if I don't detange it with conditioner in the shower EVERDAY. I mean EVERYDAY!!! I just came back from a mini, mini vacation and didn't bring my detangling comb wiht me and had to rake the conditioner with my fingers. man....the shedding I had when I finally did my comb thru was a little scary.

you're supposed to have more shed hair if you don't detangle everyday. because the shed hair gets trapped and collects and looks like a lot when you finally get it all out. you shouldn't be scared. it depends on the thickness/density of your hair too

I agree. Typically I detangle once a week and my shed hairs resemble a little animal, lol.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by JazmineB 8th September 2010, 11:31 am

tiashaunteé wrote:
JazmineB wrote:

I agree. Typically I detangle once a week and my shed hairs resemble a little animal, lol.

LOL, and of course I always have to roll the hair up in my hands & make it into a little hair ball. I'm not the only one who does that, right?
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 8th September 2010, 11:48 am

JazmineB wrote:
tiashaunteé wrote:
JazmineB wrote:

LOL, and of course I always have to roll the hair up in my hands & make it into a little hair ball. I'm not the only one who does that, right?

LOL, not at all!
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Deva_87 9th September 2010, 12:19 pm

I find that since i have been wearing two strand twist (i redo them every week) I have had a lot less shedding.
Deva_87
Deva_87

http://members.fotki.com/Deva87/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygogohot 9th September 2010, 1:08 pm

Hey ladies,
I use to have ALOT of shedding and then I found out about garlic... and I don't mean the shampoo and conditioner but the one I make myself. I take a head of garlic and crush it and then I soak it in either olive or sunflower oil and I let it set in the refrigerator for about 1-2days, then I mix the oil with my own conditioner and then deep condition. It works... after a couple times my shedding went down alot and I notice when I don't do the garlic treatment I shed more than usually.

PS...The garlic sent does not stay in your ...comes out when washed.

hopes this helps
ladygogohot
ladygogohot

Back to top Go down

Shedded hair? Is this about right? Empty Shedding hair

Post by Zatubi 11th September 2010, 3:14 pm

I've always heard that people generally shed 50-100 hairs a day. That seems like a lot, but there are thousands of hairs on our head and shed hairs are usually replaced with new growth unless there's a problem. I think some of shed hairs we pull out are from previous days' shedding, but they stay on the head longer because they get caught up in the kinks of other hairs. Some of the shed hairs are falling all over the place and we may never see them (they're swept up, vacuumed up, etc.); but I know for sure that shedding and breakage are much less on my natural hair because dying, frying and laying to the side was killing my hair.

Zatubi

http://zatubi99@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by catcurls 16th September 2010, 2:01 pm

Garlic pill supplements 1000mg/day slows down shedding if it seems excessive. Shouldn't be more than 100 hairs/day from my research.
catcurls
catcurls

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyu 16th September 2010, 8:54 pm

LOL @ rolling the hair in a little ball. I do the same exact thing. Yes, it looks pretty normal shed. I get around that much too after removing my twists in a two week period.
naturallyu
naturallyu

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 20th September 2010, 11:30 am

tiashaunteé wrote:
JazmineB wrote:

I have the issue. Last night I though I combed out all my hair although when I looked on the floor I saw the lots or coiled up strains I think I'm suffering from breakage and thinning. I don't know what I'm doing wrong ;(
Neems
Neems

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JazmineB 20th September 2010, 11:57 am

Neems wrote:
tiashaunteé wrote:
JazmineB wrote:

I have the issue. Last night I though I combed out all my hair although when I looked on the floor I saw the lots or coiled up strains I think I'm suffering from breakage and thinning. I don't know what I'm doing wrong ;(

maybe you need to switch to only finger detangling. From my experience, its very hard to break your hair off with fingers, and very easy with a comb. and with my fingers, all the shed hair comes out too so i really don't need a comb. only use it after THOUGHROUGHLY finger detangling so there are no tangles left when your each for your comb. maybe that will make a difference for you
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down