CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Henna Questions

+12
CurlyMo
ChrsLvsBks
CurlyRosie
curlybison19
asanterochelle
DMCC
BajanPrincess82
curlycaramelo
ShyCurl
Peggy
kinky_situation
LovelyCurls
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Henna Questions Empty Henna Questions

Post by LovelyCurls 18th November 2009, 11:43 pm

So I have heard so many good things about Henna, I finally went to make that purchase. I went to a local Indian store and got a gold bag that says "Supreme Shahnaj, Dulhan Mehandi." It was only $2.50 and I really don't know if this is a good product or not. One question I have is in reference to the curl loosening process...if you have more than one texture on your head, is henna okay to use? The curls in the back of my head are corkscrew curls and they could benefit from being a little bit loose, however, the front of my hair is more wavy than curly. I just don't want it to look straight. I think I will mix mines with green tea (about 1 cup) and some honey, but I am open to other mixtures. Do I have to mix it and wait 2-3 hours before using? Do I have to mix it in a metal container? How long should I leave it on to get the full benefits of this product? When I rinse it out is there a specific method I need to use? Sorry for all the questions...just want to make sure I do this right Wink

Thanks in advance for all the helpful advice.
LovelyCurls
LovelyCurls

Back to top Go down

Henna Questions Empty Re: Henna Questions

Post by kinky_situation 19th November 2009, 4:29 pm

Hey there hope I can help you out. Here goes:

-If you can, do a patch test with some shed hair. That's what CurlyNikki does [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

-I bought the same henna and have used it with positive results about 8 times.

-I have 3 or 4 different textures and after applying henna to my whole head on about 5 different occasions, I now limit it to the extra-kinky patch in the crown of my head (as well as my hairline). This has worked really well for me.

-If I'm not mistaken, I think you're supposed to use 2 cups of steeped green tea. Check CurlyNikki's website for the specifics. I use more honey than she recommends, but my hair loves it! I don't add anything else to it though.

-2-3 hours is long enough to wait before applying it. Sometimes, I'll mix it, freeze and then use it weeks later.

-Mix it in a plastic bowl with a plastic spoon. Leave it in for about 6 hours. You can sleep with it in if you wrap your head in saran wrap and an old scarf. Also throw a towel on the pillow.

-When you rinse in the morning, run a warm bath and dunk your head in the tub. Leave it there for a while to loosen up the henna. It will feel like a mud masque on your hair. The whole rinsing process takes me at least 1.5 hours. Grab a bottle of cheapie cheap conditioner and rinse that through your hair as you rinse it out under the shower. You'll need to repeat this process about 3 times, basically until the bottle of conditioner is empty. You want to be sure that the henna is completely rinsed out of your hair.

-Finally, deep condition your hair with your favorite deep conditioner. DO NOT skip this step!! I think that some ppl skip it and then complain that the henna made their hair so dry.

Have fun!
kinky_situation
kinky_situation

Back to top Go down

Post by LovelyCurls 20th November 2009, 12:53 am

OMG!!! Bless your bones woot!

You have truly helped me with the questions I had. I think I will mix it tonight and do the process on Saturday evening. The package I have is pretty big, how do I know how much Henna to use? My hair isn't to long. I guess I can mix it all and whatever I don't use, I can just freeze =)
LovelyCurls
LovelyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by kinky_situation 20th November 2009, 9:03 am

You are so welcome!

My hair isn't too long either, so I mix all of the henna and end up using about half. Freezing the rest is great, because that makes it more potent.

Post your results, okay?! And have a great weekend. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
kinky_situation
kinky_situation

Back to top Go down

Post by LovelyCurls 21st November 2009, 1:35 am

You too, I just mixed up my henna and since I don't have time to do it tonight I will apply it tomorrow. I did freeze it tho =)

I will post pic as SOON as I am done
LovelyCurls
LovelyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by LovelyCurls 30th November 2009, 6:30 pm

So...I really didn't see a difference. I won't give up, but I don't know if I did something wrong or what. I didn't notice a color change or looser curls (which I would have been happy with). I will give it some time and try it again. Thanks for all your advice. Have a wonderful day Very Happy
LovelyCurls
LovelyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Peggy 4th December 2009, 8:32 pm

can you henna with a twa? or am i rushing things? i just want the benefits and some color [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Peggy
Peggy

http://www.cmxiv.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ShyCurl 4th December 2009, 8:56 pm

Im wondering the same thing, can you henna a twa??
ShyCurl
ShyCurl

Back to top Go down

Post by curlycaramelo 17th December 2009, 2:22 pm

@kinky_situation, wow your response is very informative. I've been thinking of doing this for a while. Your response has really helped me understand the process more. I was wondering what deep conditioner you used?
curlycaramelo
curlycaramelo

Back to top Go down

Post by LovelyCurls 18th December 2009, 1:46 am

I know someone that did, but they didn't like it too much. They said it loosened their curls too much and it looked like they had a blow out. I guess it may depend on how tiny your afro actually is.
LovelyCurls
LovelyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 18th December 2009, 11:26 am

I've henna'd three times so far and it hasn't loosened up my curl pattern at all. I really thought it would, but my hair texture hasn't changed a bit. My hair is curly/wavy in the front and back and kinky in the middle...I thought for sure the front would come out flat or something, but nope!
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by DMCC 19th December 2009, 10:14 pm

Hi all! I was wondering if anyone has mixed their henna with amla and what the results were. I truly don't want to do indigo so I've read that amla darkens henna and takes out some of the red. My hair color now is mostly black with some dark brown. The red/burgundy color is not what I want. I want brownish black with maybe some auburn highlights. I have a few gray strands in the top and around the hairline. I def want those covered. I bought Dulhan Mehendi henna from the Indian store and it has current dates listed on the package. Also bought Hesh Amla powder. Both have a very smooth sift and look very nice. I have recently done LOTS of research and I'm really looking forward to great results this time. Let me know your thoughts! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by DMCC on 20th December 2009, 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
DMCC
DMCC

Back to top Go down

Post by asanterochelle 19th December 2009, 10:27 pm

@shycurl and peggy: I definitely think you can use henna on a twa, i just did my first henna treatment last night (I BC's about 2 months ago). One plus is that I didn't have to use very much, so I can get more treatments out of this first mix, and troubleshoot my mix until my hair gets longer. Go for it! Good luck Smile
asanterochelle
asanterochelle

http://www.ark87@blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by curlybison19 22nd December 2009, 12:47 am

Just did my first henna on Sunday and although I didn't really get any of the color I thought I would (left it on for 6 hrs and hair is barely brown), I did get a lot of extra curl definition/clumping. I washed multiple times, but after my hair dried, I still saw tiny pieces of slightly brown stuff (which I thought may have been some of the color that attached to my leave-in). My hair is thick so I started to think maybe it wasn't really all out. I also conditioned with a cheap conditioner, but my hair is still a little dry...anybody had a bad experience with left over henna?
curlybison19
curlybison19

Back to top Go down

Henna Questions Empty Newbie

Post by CurlyRosie 23rd December 2009, 7:39 am

Hi all,

I´m new to the forum and i´m starting my transition. I have a twa and lot´s of breakage. I have the exact same questions about henna as lovelycurls b/c i would like to try it soon. It´s hard for me to get all the right products cuz i live in Germany. But this forum is a great help.
CurlyRosie
CurlyRosie

Back to top Go down

Post by LovelyCurls 23rd December 2009, 11:27 pm

I have started looking into different brands of henna. I actually went to a Indian store today to see what they had. I will keep you ladies updated (wish me luck)
LovelyCurls
LovelyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyRosie 24th December 2009, 3:21 pm

A miracle has just happened!! My hair is soft, and manageable and little sheddage. I´ve just done my first henna using Esthertol henna (it´s the only one i could find here in a healthfood store). BUt it works!!
I was texturizing my hair before, but i just let my natural hair grow out b/c i couldnt find a hairdresser. Now after the henna application it looks as if i´ve texturized it! This is what i wanted, looser curls that are manageable! Now it´s in a twist out! I´m so excited! I used a lot of Jamila oil and olive oil in my mixture b/c i was scared of dryness, but i followed curlynikki´s tutorial to the dot and i´m so happy i could cry!! Now if only my skin would clear up i would really be happy! Oh well one day at a time sweet Jesus.
CurlyRosie
CurlyRosie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 27th December 2009, 3:35 pm

CurlyRosie wrote:A miracle has just happened!! My hair is soft, and manageable and little sheddage. I´ve just done my first henna using Esthertol henna (it´s the only one i could find here in a healthfood store). BUt it works!!
I was texturizing my hair before, but i just let my natural hair grow out b/c i couldnt find a hairdresser. Now after the henna application it looks as if i´ve texturized it! This is what i wanted, looser curls that are manageable! Now it´s in a twist out! I´m so excited! I used a lot of Jamila oil and olive oil in my mixture b/c i was scared of dryness, but i followed curlynikki´s tutorial to the dot and i´m so happy i could cry!! Now if only my skin would clear up i would really be happy! Oh well one day at a time sweet Jesus.
Yeah, no dry hair after henna.

I struggle with my skin as well--oily in summer and combination in winter. I have been doing the oil cleansing method (OCM) for about a month. I like the results. There is a thread about OCM here. I also use ayurvedic powders. While I still have acne, it is less severe.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyMo 28th December 2009, 10:56 pm

@ChrsLvsBks~
Can Indigo be used on its own for color?
CurlyMo
CurlyMo

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyMo 28th December 2009, 11:01 pm

@ChrsLvsBks~
Do i have to mix Indigo the night before like henna? Or can i mix it at the time i use it?
CurlyMo
CurlyMo

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyRosie 31st December 2009, 11:23 am

Thanks ChrsLvsBks! I´m going to try the OCM and pray :-)
CurlyRosie
CurlyRosie

Back to top Go down

Post by LovelyCurls 6th January 2010, 12:55 am

I am going to try that brand as well, I pray that I am just as excited...lol. Congrats!
LovelyCurls
LovelyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by saroyag 6th January 2010, 2:42 pm

There is an e book you can download at hennaforhair.com. They go in depth about henna and indigo. They also tell you how much to mix and how to apply to get your desired color.
saroyag
saroyag

Back to top Go down

Post by LovelyCurls 13th January 2010, 12:17 am

I will do that tonight. Thanks
LovelyCurls
LovelyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by curlyj 24th January 2010, 9:29 pm

Can you henna w/ a twa? also, does the acid prevent color or promote it?
curlyj
curlyj

https://www.youtube.com/mzc1no

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next