CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is your Deep treatment and/or Protein Treatment?

+9
MelMelBee
freckledmom4
tatertotz
cutie_curli
jadore04
Natural Wheezes
NubieNatty
jad928
jamaicacurl
13 posters

Go down

What is your Deep treatment and/or Protein Treatment? Empty What is your Deep treatment and/or Protein Treatment?

Post by jamaicacurl 18th November 2009, 7:04 pm

Hey ladies,

As I've been reading through many of the posts on the forum, I have learned about quite a few deep treatments and protein treatments that I had never heard of. I'm sure I'm not the only one so I thought I'd start a post where we can list our tried and true deep treatments and/or protein treatments to give each other ideas and new things to try. They can be ingredients we all may have in our kitchen or store bought treatments that you may use alone or mix with other things.

So, tell us what you use, whether it's a DT or PT (or both), the ingredients and instructions, and how often you do it. Also please let us know the results you get (i.e. softness, curl definition, curl elongation, colour, etc.) Of course if you have pics, that's always a plus! Smile

I'll start. For a deep treatment I use the Hask Henna n' Placenta w/Olive Oil (from Sally's). I co-wash and then put that on, leave it on for 30 mins, rinse out and condition & style as usual.

Protein treatments:
Egg & oils:
2 eggs whisked
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp conditioner (I used GVP Conditioning balm)

Mix all ingredients together and apply to dry hair. It's messy so you may want to do it in the shower or put down some newspaper.
Put on a plastic cap and leave in for 30 mins.
Rinse out using cool/cold water. It's important that you don't use warm or hot water so you don't get scrambled eggs in your hair!!
After thoroughly rinsing out mixture, co-wash and/or condition as usual.
Style as usual.

Benefits - extremely soft, defined, bouncy and moisturized happy curls Smile

Coconut milk & aminos: (I mixed ideas from 2 different treatments I read about here on the forum (Breezybaby & Cherry Lola tx))

1 can of coconut milk
1 Tbsp of liquid aminos

Heat the coconut milk on the stove for 2-3 minutes. It will get a little thicker and this will decrease the mess later.
Add liquid aminos and mix together.

Apply mixture to dry hair, don a plastic cap and leave in for 30 mins. Since the coconut milk is already warm (not hot) it will help everything penetrate.
Rinse out your hair and condition and style as usual.

Benefits - lots of curl definition and moisture Smile My avatar pic was after doing this treatment.
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

http://www.MishMashbyMarsha.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

What is your Deep treatment and/or Protein Treatment? Empty Re: What is your Deep treatment and/or Protein Treatment?

Post by jad928 19th November 2009, 2:56 pm

Ohh I have to try thoes. For protein I use Apogee two minute treatement. Or I do an egg with yogurt and coconut oil. I alway follow up with a moistuizing protein free treatment.
jad928
jad928

Back to top Go down

What is your Deep treatment and/or Protein Treatment? Empty Re: What is your Deep treatment and/or Protein Treatment?

Post by NubieNatty 19th November 2009, 3:06 pm

hmmm im takin notes!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 19th November 2009, 3:14 pm

jad928 wrote:Ohh I have to try thoes. For protein I use Apogee two minute treatement. Or I do an egg with yogurt and coconut oil. I alway follow up with a moistuizing protein free treatment.

Is that the Keratin treatment? I was eyeing that at the BSS the other day.
For your protein free treatment, is it usually something that's a leave in or another treatment to wash out?
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 19th November 2009, 3:15 pm

NubieNattyTwn-kisha wrote:hmmm im takin notes!

Yeah see! This is why I wanted to do this because so many ppl have interesting treatments!
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by Natural Wheezes 19th November 2009, 3:56 pm

jamaicacurl wrote:Is that the Keratin treatment? I was eyeing that at the BSS the other day.
For your protein free treatment, is it usually something that's a leave in or another treatment to wash out?

As far as I know it's different. When I was in VA I was looking at that Keratin treatment, because my cousin and Aunt have both gotten that done. They're both natural; but my cousin has 3b/3c (I think) hair and I'm not sure what my Aunt has because I've never seen her curly. I didn't get it because after talking to they're stylist it seems that although it's labeled as a treatment and you can wear your hair straight or curly, it's kind of a process. She said it would definitely relax my curls a bit. And I think my cousin said it lasts for 30 days or so? I haven't seen my cousin's hair natural without the Keratin treatment, but her curls are definitely looser than I remember them when we were kids. So I didn't get it because I was nervous. I would loooove to loosen my curls some, but not with something that's going to last like a perm.
Natural Wheezes
Natural Wheezes

Back to top Go down

Post by Natural Wheezes 19th November 2009, 4:40 pm

Oh, maybe I should post my DT, right? I haven't done one in so long, but my favorite is the ORS Replenishing Pak with EVOO and honey added. My hair is so soft and moisturized afterwards.

I haven't done a protein treatment ever since I used AOGPB and my hair went straight to crispety-crunchety status. It took an hour-long DT to put my hair back to just 80% normal... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Wizarding Wheezer on 19th November 2009, 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I remembered the full name of that ORS treatment! LOL)
Natural Wheezes
Natural Wheezes

Back to top Go down

Post by jadore04 18th August 2010, 9:55 pm

I know this post is old but whats a good non protein moisturizer to use after you give yourself a protein treatment?!
jadore04
jadore04

Back to top Go down

Post by cutie_curli 18th August 2010, 10:19 pm

Where do you buy liquid amino from? @jamaicacurl- And could you use your protein treatment first then follow with the coconut milk aminos? Is the coconut milk amino a deep treatment?

cutie_curli

Back to top Go down

Post by tatertotz 19th August 2010, 3:59 am

@jadore04 GVP Conditioning Balm from Sally's is a great moisturizing conditioner to use after a protein treatments. It's protein-free and I'm pretty sure it's 'cone-free too but it does contain parabens. I don't mind parabens so I used this after a henna treatment and my hair didn't feel brittle at all from the treatment

http://www.sallybeauty.com/conditioning-balm/SBS-264074,default,pd.html

HTH! Smile
tatertotz
tatertotz

Back to top Go down

Post by jadore04 20th August 2010, 2:48 am

Thank You!!
jadore04
jadore04

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 20th August 2010, 1:31 pm

cutie_curli wrote:Where do you buy liquid amino from? @jamaicacurl- And could you use your protein treatment first then follow with the coconut milk aminos? Is the coconut milk amino a deep treatment?

You can get the amino acids from a grocery store-Farm Fresh usually carries it right next to ACV. I wouldn't recommend doing them back to back b/c the amino acids are kind of proteiny (i know that's not a word) from what I've read on other blogs. I would try them separately first to see how they affect your hair.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 29th August 2010, 2:25 pm

tatertotz wrote:@jadore04 GVP Conditioning Balm from Sally's is a great moisturizing conditioner to use after a protein treatments. It's protein-free and I'm pretty sure it's 'cone-free too but it does contain parabens. I don't mind parabens so I used this after a henna treatment and my hair didn't feel brittle at all from the treatment

http://www.sallybeauty.com/conditioning-balm/SBS-264074,default,pd.html

HTH! Smile

I haven't checked on this post in a good while but I second the GVP Conditioning Balm I LOOOVE this conditioner!!
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 29th August 2010, 2:28 pm

cutie_curli wrote:Where do you buy liquid amino from? @jamaicacurl- And could you use your protein treatment first then follow with the coconut milk aminos? Is the coconut milk amino a deep treatment?

I got my liquid aminos from a health food store. I've also seen it at a farmer's market. The coconut milk contains very little protein from what I understand, but is filled with emollients for moisture. You could do the coconut milk & aminos first, then do an extra deep treatment for just moisturizing.
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee 4th September 2010, 12:14 am

jadore04 wrote:I know this post is old but whats a good non protein moisturizer to use after you give yourself a protein treatment?!

I've been using Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Repair Masque (something like that). I love it! It's what I use following Henna as a DT
MelMelBee
MelMelBee

http://www.experiencestmattsumc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shamigreen 19th November 2010, 4:24 pm

I AM A BELIEVER! I used the Aphogee Keratin Reconstructor for the 1st time 2 weeks ago.

My hair has been less frizzy (that could have to do w/ colder weather & lower humidity, who knows). I noticed after the last time I washed it, there was MUCH less breakage. But you definitley need to DC afterwards, to combat crunchiness.

I will be doing it again in December (The Aphogee website recommends once every 4-6 weeks).
shamigreen
shamigreen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 19th November 2010, 10:28 pm

I just use a conditioner & add some oils coconut, jojoba, EVOO, etc I dont all of them at 1 time but I do add about 3 of them Let the conditioner sit for about an hour or overnight
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackAngelPlayah 22nd November 2010, 3:05 am

I'm loving this tread! Im locked right now, but am thinking of becoming a loose nap again. My biggest problem will be tangles, frizz, and dryness. Other than the spirituality of locking, it was out of necessity that I decided to lock. I mean, actually caring for Afro hair is sadly a new idea. Now how to burn the crap out of it and attempt to make it look good- LOADS of info. Anyway, I look forward to reading all the tips you lovely ladies have to offer. Smile

Jen

BlackAngelPlayah

http://ZenInTheArtOfLiving.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 22nd November 2010, 2:51 pm

Now how to burn the crap out of it and attempt to make it look good- LOADS of info.
LOL. Welcome to the party!

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down