CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dry Hair..ugh

2 posters

Go down

Dry Hair..ugh Empty Dry Hair..ugh

Post by omgitsaj 12th August 2010, 6:48 pm

Hey you guys:) I'm 3 months post relaxer, last one was May 5 and while I'm excited to be fully natural I'm having some problems. My hair is just sooo dry, no matter what I use to shampoo or condition. Right now I'm shampooing once a week with a sulfate free shampoo, condition and cowash 2-3 times a week. I deep condition with a cheap conditioner that has honey and olive oil mixed in. I moisturize with Bee Mine Luscious Hair Creme and seal that with this stuff called Hair-Gro Spray with moisturizer that has a mixture of oils, water, glycerin and other yummy stuff. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong or recommended something because this frustration is making me question my journey:(

omgitsaj

Back to top Go down

Dry Hair..ugh Empty Re: Dry Hair..ugh

Post by Naturally Esq 12th August 2010, 7:06 pm

There may be a problem with your shampoo and/or conditioner. It is important to balance protein and moisture. Here is a link to a good article with a hair test at the end: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepage=true&cat=69

HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by omgitsaj 13th August 2010, 4:18 pm

Well I'm not using any protein as of now, just moisturizing protects, my hair has decreased in shedding and I haven't seen any breakage. So I don't really know what else to do...thanks for the advice though:)

omgitsaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 13th August 2010, 4:46 pm

Then, the problem might either be that you are not giving your hair enough moisture or you are no sealing in the moisture. Are you using a moisturizing shampoo? Are you DCing every time you shampoo? What is the "cheap conditioner"?
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by omgitsaj 13th August 2010, 4:55 pm

suave humectant, I mix in olive oil and honey to give it more moisture. I use it plain to co-wash, and I deep condition once a week, but not always on the day I shampoo. Could that be a problem? I also don't use a moisturizing shampoo, do you know of any good ones? I want to try Dr. Bronner's but I don't know if that is a moisturizing one either.

omgitsaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 13th August 2010, 5:57 pm

The Suave shampoo has sulfates and may be a source of the dryness. Some reviews have said that this shampoo is very drying. Ingredients:
Water (Aqua), Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, PEG 5 Cocamide, Ammonium Chloride, Sodium Citrate, Fragrance (Parfum) (Parfum), Glycol Distearate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Dimethicone Propyl PG Betaine, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Bis Hydroxyethyl Dihydroxypropyl Stear Ammonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydrantoin, Glycerin, Ammonium Xylenesulfonate, Propylene Glycol, Panthenol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Chamomilla

It also has cones that maybe blocking your hair's absoption of moisture.

I use Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo. I put three squirts in a 15 oz applicator bottle, fill with water and apply to my hair and rinse.

My weekly routine in this order is shampoo, dc, condition and rinse, apply leave in, then styler and seal. I remoisturize at least every two days. I use Giovanni Products that can be bought at Whole Foods, Target, Walmart, CVS, Pharmaca, and health food stores. Once a week, I use Giovanni Smooth As Silk (SAS) Deeper Moisture Shampoo to poo, SAS Deeper Moisture Conditioner and Reconstructor to DC, SAS Xtreme Protein Infusion or Direct Leave In as my leave in, I set my hair with Giovanni Natural Mousse Hair Styling Foam. I seal with Shea Moisture Curl Smoothie or EVCO or castor oil. I use the braid outs, curl outs or Curlformers to style.

Giovanni products have protein, but my 4a/b hair loves protein. Some people use the Shea Moisture Shampoo and find it to be very moisturing.

HTH

Last edited by Naturally Esq on 13th August 2010, 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down