CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My solution to transitioning out of a short cut...

+2
Tiffers
songbird
6 posters

Go down

My solution to transitioning out of a short cut... Empty My solution to transitioning out of a short cut...

Post by songbird 31st July 2010, 4:34 am

...is a curly half wig!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
My life is so much easier now. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I can't really do any transitioning styles on my hair because prior to my decision to go natural, it was cut into an asymmetrical bob that was tapered in the back. (I would be the one to choose the hardest style to transition out of.. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ) I tried kinky twists which were a nightmare to say the least, and the sew-in I just took down a few days ago was a little rough on my edges. I never thought I would be much of a wig person but I love it! I just flat twist the front of my hair to help it blend.

Just wanted to share. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Is anyone else transitioning with short hair? It seems like everyone that is transitioning has got long tresses and I feel left out because I definitely don't have enough hair in the back or on the sides to do braid or twist outs or any of the other pretty styles some of you other ladies are lucky enough to be able to do. lol
songbird
songbird

Back to top Go down

My solution to transitioning out of a short cut... Empty Re: My solution to transitioning out of a short cut...

Post by Tiffers 31st July 2010, 1:59 pm

whats the name of this wig it looks nice

Tiffers

Back to top Go down

My solution to transitioning out of a short cut... Empty Re: My solution to transitioning out of a short cut...

Post by songbird 31st July 2010, 2:58 pm

Thanks Tiffers. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It's called Evony by Outre in color 1B. They have some that come with really pretty highlights. I have to warn you though that straight out of the package it's ridiculously long on the bottom and looks like a huge mullet from an 80's rock band. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I cut it to this length and then shaped it.
songbird
songbird

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclingchick 31st July 2010, 4:42 pm

I'm transitioning with short hair...and while I know transitioning is hard for most folks, it seems like having short hair throws an added degree of difficulty in. LOL

My last relaxer was on 5/26/10...at that time, it was a bob that covered my ears/tapered in the back. Earlier this month, I had 5 inches cut off, so it's now back to a pixie similar to my avatar pic. The back is natural, I have about 2 inches of relaxed hair on the top/1 inch on the side and a TWA underneath. My planned BC is 8/18 (3 months transition) and I can't wait. I've been using minimal heat, so my head usually looks like pure chaos. I'm not a wig person (mainly because the high in Dallas today is 105!), so I'm looking forward to getting the remaining ends cut and doing the TWA thing for the rest of the summer (which runs until the week before Thanksgiving here [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 31st July 2010, 7:22 pm

I am also transitioning from a short cut and omg it is sooo hard..I totally understand your struggle..its hard to do Bantu knots, twist out, and braids out if you have a short cut..mines is similar to yours its taped in the back but my front is cut into a bang..right now I'm wearing Senegalese twist and I love them..my braided couldnt grab my hair in the back because it was taped down soo the back is out and has about an inch of new growth now..I plan on doing my BC early so I wont have to deal with the struggle of transitioning with short hair and because Im really impatient and want to see my natural hair!!!

But yea I understand your pain but the wig looks nice!!!
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 1st August 2010, 12:14 am

Sometimes I wish I was transitioning with shorter hair, its a little more difficult to detangle so much hair (especially because its so thick). And I have a half wig that I love, but I have to tuck all of my hair in because its not easy to blend with this length (or maybe I just don't know how to blend properly). So, basically I think both long and short hair have their positives and negatives.

I've considered getting Evony too but, it just looked sooo long, it looks really good on you though with that cut.....I just might have to reconsider
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by MS. FAJA 1st August 2010, 12:23 am

I FEEL YOU GUYS ON THE SHORT HAIR (PROFILE PIC) MY LAST RELAXR WAS IN MAY AND EVEN THO MY HAIR HAS GROWN OUT ITS STILL TO SHORT TO DO A LOT OF THE HAIR STYLES OTHER TRANSITIONERS WITH LONGER HAIR CAN DO. I GOT MICROS BUT THAT ONLY LAST A WEEK (I HAD TO TAKE THEM OUT DUE TO THEM SLIPPING OUT) SO I THINK IM GOING TO DO KINKY TWISTS WHICH I LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! (DONT KNO WHY I DID MICROS) UNTL ITS LONG ENOUGH FOR THE BC!
MS. FAJA
MS. FAJA

https://www.facebook.com/missfaja

Back to top Go down

Post by songbird 1st August 2010, 12:53 am

cyclingchick wrote:I'm transitioning with short hair...and while I know transitioning is hard for most folks, it seems like having short hair throws an added degree of difficulty in. LOL

My last relaxer was on 5/26/10...at that time, it was a bob that covered my ears/tapered in the back. Earlier this month, I had 5 inches cut off, so it's now back to a pixie similar to my avatar pic. The back is natural, I have about 2 inches of relaxed hair on the top/1 inch on the side and a TWA underneath. My planned BC is 8/18 (3 months transition) and I can't wait. I've been using minimal heat, so my head usually looks like pure chaos. I'm not a wig person (mainly because the high in Dallas today is 105!), so I'm looking forward to getting the remaining ends cut and doing the TWA thing for the rest of the summer (which runs until the week before Thanksgiving here [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )

Oh my goodness I couldn't agree with you more about the fact that transitioning with short hair is extra difficult. I want to transition long term but i just don't think I can. My hair was cut into a pixie when I first cut it short, but I grew it out into a bob and I'm thankful I made that decision as opposed to maintaining it. I couldn't imagine trying to transition with my hair even shorter than it is now. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Trust me, I know what you mean about this heat. Florida isn't playing games either! LOL
Your BC date is approaching and I'm so excited for you! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

rayray19 wrote: I am also transitioning from a short cut and omg it is sooo hard..I totally understand your struggle..its hard to do Bantu knots, twist out, and braids out if you have a short cut..mines is similar to yours its taped in the back but my front is cut into a bang..right now I'm wearing Senegalese twist and I love them..my braided couldnt grab my hair in the back because it was taped down soo the back is out and has about an inch of new growth now..I plan on doing my BC early so I wont have to deal with the struggle of transitioning with short hair and because Im really impatient and want to see my natural hair!!!

But yea I understand your pain but the wig looks nice!!!

Thanks! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I used to religiously get a relaxer every 4 weeks, and I was so baffled at how to start transitioning that I just got some kinky twists put in at around week 6 so I wouldn't have to deal with it. LOL
Talk about impatient! I also want to cut my transition short and just BC (no pun intended! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ), but I really want at least 4 inches of unstretched natural hair. (With my super tight coils and shrinkage, that'll probably take forever. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ) Knowing me, I'll get fed up and do it before that though.

Ms.Fenty wrote:Sometimes I wish I was transitioning with shorter hair, its a little more difficult to detangle so much hair (especially because its so thick). And I have a half wig that I love, but I have to tuck all of my hair in because its not easy to blend with this length (or maybe I just don't know how to blend properly). So, basically I think both long and short hair have their positives and negatives.

I've considered getting Evony too but, it just looked sooo long, it looks really good on you though with that cut.....I just might have to reconsider

Yeah I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. I just wish I could do more with my own hair and not have to add tracks or extensions or a wig, you know? It's too hot! LOL

When I took the wig out of the package and saw how long and weird it looked, I was going to put it right back in and take it back to get something else. But then I learned that the beauty supply store doesn't do exchanges so I had to make it work and try my hand at cutting. I didn't do too shabby if I may say so myself. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Maybe you could try it and do the same.

MS. FAJA wrote:I FEEL YOU GUYS ON THE SHORT HAIR (PROFILE PIC) MY LAST RELAXR WAS IN MAY AND EVEN THO MY HAIR HAS GROWN OUT ITS STILL TO SHORT TO DO A LOT OF THE HAIR STYLES OTHER TRANSITIONERS WITH LONGER HAIR CAN DO. I GOT MICROS BUT THAT ONLY LAST A WEEK (I HAD TO TAKE THEM OUT DUE TO THEM SLIPPING OUT) SO I THINK IM GOING TO DO KINKY TWISTS WHICH I LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! (DONT KNO WHY I DID MICROS) UNTL ITS LONG ENOUGH FOR THE BC!

I enjoyed my kinky twists as well, minus the horrible detangling ordeal I went through after taking them down. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I get frustrated just thinking about it...

What kind of length are you looking for before you BC?
songbird
songbird

Back to top Go down

Post by MS. FAJA 1st August 2010, 6:36 pm

idk if im waiting for a certain length i just want there to be enough natural hair in the bk for me to rock a twa!! so maybe if i dnt get the twists i'll wait another month and cut if all off..thats if i dont get frustrated before then.
MS. FAJA
MS. FAJA

Back to top Go down

Post by MS. FAJA 1st August 2010, 6:58 pm

i dnt kno if its just me but my frustration is that my hair isnt growing out fast enough..before i wanted to be a long termer but i made the decision to BC and now its seems like my hair is standing still its not gettng longer or shorter and i dnt want to BC until i have enough so that its not a brush cut. idk..i want to get twists but i also want to bc..help me out ladies
MS. FAJA
MS. FAJA

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 1st August 2010, 9:26 pm

@ Ms.Faja me and you are in the same boat I want to keep my twist in for like 2 more months but I cant wait no more and I'm ready to BC now!! I'm probably going to take them out this week (Ive only had them for a month but they itch so bad!!) and try some other transitioning styles..Ive been thinking about this style that I think might work on short hair..

Im going to do either a twist out or braid out on my hair going in a forward direction to make it look like I have curly bangs and gel my sides back to give a fohawk look..but idk im going to try it as soon as i take these ITCH MONSTERS OUT!!!

Oh yea and as what you should do I suggest you wait until you natural hair is at a comfortable length for you before you do your BC..
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by MS. FAJA 2nd August 2010, 12:42 pm

@ rayray19:
LOL ITCH MONSTERS I LIKE THAT..BUT I DEF UNDERSTAND CUZ MY BRAIDS WERE DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!

i thought abt it ALLL night and i think im going t BC!!! im going to get the back edged up so it looks better. my relaxed hair is super fine and straight and wont hold a curl for anything so those twist out hairstyles wont work for me. i love kinky twists but im ready to see my hair!!! my family doesnt understand AT ALL but its my decision and IM READY.
MS. FAJA
MS. FAJA

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 2nd August 2010, 12:59 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] YAAAY!!! then i wish you luck with your BC..Im going to do mines in another 2 weeks or so (maybe sooner)...and my family are the same when I took out my braids last night my mama wanted to PERM my hair I was like nooooo!!! but you right this is your decision

TAKE PLENTY OF PICS
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by MS. FAJA 2nd August 2010, 5:52 pm

I WILL IM DEF GUNNA HAVE TO GO TARGET AND GET SOME NEW PRODUCT TO KEEP MY HAIR SOFT AND FULL OF MOISTURE!!! BUT MY MOM IS COOL WITH IT MY GRANDMA SAYS IM GOIN TO LOOK LIKE A BOY AND MY HUSBAND HATES SHORT HAIR BUT TO BAD SO SAD. I'LL PROLLY DO IT AT THE END OF THE WEEK WHEN ITS TIME FOR ME TO WASH MY HAIR.
MS. FAJA
MS. FAJA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down