CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Must smell my products

+7
Gado-Gado Gal
Juices-n-Berries
LaToya28
Cnicoles6
PaganWifey
SasahT
11 posters

Go down

Must smell my products Empty Must smell my products

Post by SasahT 26th July 2010, 2:38 am

Does anyone else have to smell their beauty products before buying them, lol? I open everything and smell it before I buy it, if it smells bad I won't buy it (regardless of how great reviews may be).
- A Target just opened up across the street from my house ( there goes my pay check), so today I went to go check it out. I swear I was in the hair care section for an 30 min just smelling different products. People were looking at me like I was crazy, but I didnt care. If I'm gonna spend my money on a product I want to know how it smells, lol. I noticed that they had "Yes to Cucumbers" and "Yes to Carrots". This peaked my interest b/c of Curly Nikki's rave reviews. I picked up the bottle to open it up and take a sniff, and realized it was sealed. I was SO disappointed and irritated that I couldn't smell this stuff. The PJ in me really wanted to buy it, but I refused to because I couldn't get a preview wiff, lol. I instead got a cheap bottle of Suave Smooth (which smells fantastic). Just thought I'd share my patheticness (is that a word?) with other product junkies.

P.S. I'm loving Suave products lately. I would never buy it before because I always assumed it was low quality b/c of the price. I tried several Suave conditioners after reading reviews on here. I've ventured out and started buying their lotion, body wash, and deodorant and I am pleased with them all!

Last edited by SasahT on 26th July 2010, 2:42 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : mistake)
SasahT
SasahT

http://members.fotki.com/Sasaht/about/

Back to top Go down

Must smell my products Empty Re: Must smell my products

Post by PaganWifey 26th July 2010, 4:34 am

I don't blame you. No one wants to smell something that's nasty on their head all day.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cnicoles6 27th July 2010, 1:22 am

Just so you know Yes to Carrot/Cucumbers just smell like a generic lotion IMO. Clean and simple, but nothing special.
Cnicoles6
Cnicoles6

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 27th July 2010, 6:13 pm

Yes ma'am! I have to smell everything that goes on my hair or body. I haven't bought the YTC yet, but I smelled them anyway [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] And I agree with you about the Suave products. I recently bought the Tropical coconut conditioner that everyone raves about and I love it! I love it for cowashing and as a leave-in.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 27th July 2010, 9:41 pm

I'm big on smells too. But I LOVE the smell of Yes to Cucumbers. I didn't like the Yes to Carrots smell though. So I guess to each his own.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by ... 28th July 2010, 1:57 am

Omg, yes, the smell of a product is so important to me! I don't know what happened, but around last year or so I became ultra-sensitive to smells (which is probably a result of unintentionally using products that only had subtle scents, if that), and now I can't use anything that has a strong scent (even if the scent actually smells good) for too long or else it'll give me a headache and I'll inevitably trash it.

And it's not just hair products--it's everything I use. I use castile soap to wash my body, for example, and when I tried to use regular shower gel (which was organic and smelled good, by the way), I just couldn't stand it and couldn't wait until the scent faded. And then, when I was using EVOO (in replace of my normal EVCO) to moisturize my body, when I wanted to switch back to the EVCO, I had to gradually get back into using it because the scent of it was so strong compared to the EVOO (but I needed to use the EVCO because it's such a better moisturizer for my skin, lol).

Ugh. And I wish I could try Oyin products for the long-term, but the scents of their products are so overwhelmingly strong that I just can't stand it at all. Like, I recently got a small sample of Oyin Shine & Define in a swap, but I had to trash it (recycling the container, of course [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]) before I could even try it because it smelled like Starbursts on ecstasy to me. It's the same with all Shea Moisture products. I refuse to use them because the scents are just too much. Why do these companies insist on blinding us with their fragrances? Ugh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 28th July 2010, 9:27 am

As they say, the nose knows! I have been this way ever since I was a child. Walking through perfume departments, the smell of new carpet or freshly sprayed cologne or hairspray - they all overwhelm me. For that reason I've stayed away from anything with non-natural fragrance or bought fragrance-free for years. But we should be thankful our bodies are sounding the alarm bells.

Recent studies and news reports have validated why my body's reaction, because ultimately those strong fragrances aren't great for our health. Companies aren't required to indicate the ingredients that go into the vague ingredient 'Fragrance', hence there are many synthetic ingredients that have adverse effects but are difficult to pinpoint due to the poor labeling. Try googling "phthalate fragrance" and you will find out about just one of the harmful chemicals used to help make fragrances stronger and long-lasting, but which can impact fertility among other things. This article provides a summary of all the products in which perfumes are used that you might not even think of and illustrates how all these fragrances cumulatively can have a negative impact. It doesn't have references, but you can search for other more recent articles that detail the different chemicals. It's a bit scary. http://www.naturalnews.com/001061.html

I think some of this is driven by us - certain synthetic fragrances seem "fresh" or "clean" smelling to us, so the longer this smell lingers, or the stronger it is, the better. And if we smell natural body odors we are conditioned to think of this as dirty, but in some respects this is healthier than masking natural smells with toxic ones. Think about stereotypes of French people versus U.S. citizens: who is smellier, who is healthier?

I say go beyond smelling the product, and read the label. If it says 'fragrance' then perhaps it's better to pass it up completely. Essential oils can still be strong so smell those, but at least you know then that they're strong and natural, not strong and poisonous.
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by curlykinkynfrizzy 12th September 2010, 10:34 pm

I am the same way OP! Smell is everything and I just recently got disappointed b/c I bought some Curl Junkie product from curlmart and the smell is horrible!!! Shocked Wayyyyyy to much lavender oil. I couldn't figure out what is what that I dind't like about the scent but I knew it was some type of EO. Sure enough I looked at the label and lavender oil was one of the ingredients! Yuck, I'm made b/c I don't wanna deal with the hassle of returning it. And usually lavender is no problem for me but this is overkill. Maybe I'll have to give it away.
curlykinkynfrizzy
curlykinkynfrizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by mahoganytresses 13th September 2010, 4:47 am

Gado-Gado Gal that link is eye opening to say the very least. I'm learning so much!
mahoganytresses
mahoganytresses

Back to top Go down

Must smell my products Empty Re: Must Smell My Products

Post by FalconTress 13th September 2010, 10:41 am

OP-
You are not alone. Truly would have passed on the Aubrey Organics JAY Shampoo if I could have gotten a whiff before I bought it. Very "earthy" aroma. It works really well and the "fragrance" doesn't linger after rinse-out & conditioning.
With Yes To products just take the large white cap off and unscrew the little cap and you can smell it. The printed cap cover is designed to look like a seal but it isn't.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by latoya1908 14th September 2010, 11:16 am

Lawd!! I should have smelled that Carols Daughter leave-in spray a little longer before I purchased it yesterday!! I suspect that I will definately be giving that one away...YUCK!! I think it's the Khoret Amen scent or something like that. Smells like wood.
latoya1908
latoya1908

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down