CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Same Product, Different Commercial for Black Audience?

+12
JazmineB
PaganWifey
Janique
KurlyK
BajanPrincess82
zinny 4a kinks
krissyc39
WhosThatRedHead
pdarden
Cnicoles6
curlybarbi48
Bun_Ana
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Same Product, Different Commercial for Black Audience? Empty Same Product, Different Commercial for Black Audience?

Post by Bun_Ana 25th July 2010, 9:43 pm

I was watching some home decorating show with my mom yesterday and they kept playing the same old commercials. One was a car commercial that showed the reactions of people, of various races, test driving the car. Later we were watching BET and the same commercial came on, except for this time, all of the test drivers were African American. We also noticed that they played, as my mom calls it, "The Black People Version" of the commercial on TV One. Just found this to be an interesting marketing strategy.

What do you think? Anyone else notice this?
Bun_Ana
Bun_Ana

http://bunanamarie.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Same Product, Different Commercial for Black Audience? Empty Re: Same Product, Different Commercial for Black Audience?

Post by curlybarbi48 25th July 2010, 9:44 pm

Hmmm. I've never noticed, but I will try to pay closer attention next time.
curlybarbi48
curlybarbi48

Location : I'm from Columbia, SC, but currently reside in Bartlett, TN

Back to top Go down

Same Product, Different Commercial for Black Audience? Empty Re: Same Product, Different Commercial for Black Audience?

Post by Cnicoles6 25th July 2010, 9:49 pm

Yeah I've seen that. It doesn't really bother me, but I'm not sure why they feel it's necessary. At least some more black extra's are getting paid. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Cnicoles6
Cnicoles6

Back to top Go down

Post by pdarden 25th July 2010, 9:58 pm

marketing is always geared towards the venue and audience....
pdarden
pdarden

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 25th July 2010, 10:05 pm

I've seen that. I just don't like it when they have kool aid commercials with black people and they're all singing about kool aid. And I HATE the Popeyes Chicken lady!!
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by krissyc39 25th July 2010, 10:08 pm

^ I haven't seen a kool-aid commercial in forever LOL

OH YEAH!
krissyc39
krissyc39

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 25th July 2010, 10:15 pm

krissyc39 wrote:^ I haven't seen a kool-aid commercial in forever LOL

OH YEAH!

OMG I see them all the time!!!!
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by Bun_Ana 25th July 2010, 10:21 pm

@WhosThatRedHead, yeah, I see your point. Kinda stereotypical.
and @CurlyBarbi I've never noticed either until my mom (who's actually puerto rican, lol) pointed it out
Bun_Ana
Bun_Ana

Back to top Go down

Post by zinny 4a kinks 25th July 2010, 10:55 pm

WOW i noticed but i didnt notice that it was on black stations ! smhh
zinny 4a kinks
zinny 4a kinks

http://twitter.com/C_Ezinne_O

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 25th July 2010, 10:59 pm

Jamerian15napps wrote:WOW i noticed but i didnt notice that it was on black stations ! smhh

Yup or after "black" shows
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 25th July 2010, 11:57 pm

I cannot stand that Wal Mart "roll back" black guy. Big black dude talking about how happy he is about eating ice cream....get happy over some veggies or fruit! lol
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by KurlyK 26th July 2010, 12:04 am

WhosThatRedHead wrote:I've seen that. I just don't like it when they have kool aid commercials with black people and they're all singing about kool aid. And I HATE the Popeyes Chicken lady!!

OMG! I thought I was the only one that hates that Popeyes Lady! lol
KurlyK
KurlyK

Back to top Go down

Post by krissyc39 26th July 2010, 12:18 am

BajanPrincess82 wrote:I cannot stand that Wal Mart "roll back" black guy. Big black dude talking about how happy he is about eating ice cream....get happy over some veggies or fruit! lol

hahaha! he needs a V8 or something lol
krissyc39
krissyc39

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 26th July 2010, 12:35 am

I can't stand that commercial either...."yes sir we got the best chicken...come on down for this delicious fried chicken....you know how us black folks love fried chicken!" That's what I feel like the commercial is telling us subliminally....
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 26th July 2010, 1:41 am

Yes yes yes to all of this.

My DH (who's white) always wants Popeye's after those commercials. "Annie is telling me I need some chicken. You go get me some chicken." Annie be hookin' folks.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by JazmineB 26th July 2010, 6:37 am

lol i never noticed this! I always fast foward commercials now (thank god for tivos/dvrs)
but i have noticed that almost every single black person on commercials has natural hair, either twisted out or wash n gos, but never in protective styles
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by Kicha 26th July 2010, 8:38 am

That Popeye's Chicken Lady -- reminds me of a 70's flashback to Willona on Good Times.
Kicha
Kicha

http://public.fotki.com/Kicha/

Back to top Go down

Post by mverde3 26th July 2010, 9:34 am

BajanPrincess82 wrote:I cannot stand that Wal Mart "roll back" black guy. Big black dude talking about how happy he is about eating ice cream....get happy over some veggies or fruit! lol

LOL I was thinking the same thing once when I saw the commercial and my sister said the same thing out loud. Hilarious moment but I agree haha
mverde3
mverde3

Back to top Go down

Post by Bun_Ana 26th July 2010, 1:28 pm

JazmineB wrote:lol i never noticed this! I always fast foward commercials now (thank god for tivos/dvrs)
but i have noticed that almost every single black person on commercials has natural hair, either twisted out or wash n gos, but never in protective styles

Yes, I've noticed that too. When I first noticed this, I was like "Oh snap, showing some natural hair love." but now it kinda annoys me. Like its natural hair exploitation or something.
Bun_Ana
Bun_Ana

Back to top Go down

Post by zinny 4a kinks 26th July 2010, 1:46 pm

LOL this is crazy . and @JazmineB i see all the natural people - but i never noticed that ..

and i think every McDonald's commercial is all black people - and all the ladies are curlies - even most of the guys on there have big curly hair lol
zinny 4a kinks
zinny 4a kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by zinny 4a kinks 26th July 2010, 1:50 pm

btw .. am i the only one who says " au natural " whenevr i see a natural lady on TV lol commercials and all
zinny 4a kinks
zinny 4a kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 26th July 2010, 2:14 pm

yeah, those McDonald's commercials seem to only showcase natural black ppl who are brown skinned--not hating cuz im light skinned or anything, just saying. I think they may do that because they're advertising McCafe, but still, her hair was BANGIN

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 26th July 2010, 2:21 pm

McDonald's has been exploiting us for YEARS. Ever since they hooked up with Tom Joyner....

That's another fast food place we might as well buy stock in...my hubs is a fool for some MickeyD fries.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by zinny 4a kinks 26th July 2010, 2:46 pm

lol@kinda_curly_cassie09 it was and you are right about the brown skin too

@paganwifey woww when was that ?? its crazy ..
zinny 4a kinks
zinny 4a kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 26th July 2010, 3:34 pm

Like....before I hit high school. It's been a MINUTE.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next