CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I didn't know it cost that much!!!!!

+12
tiashaunteé
labon10
NubieNatty
tlewis
TruBeautyPrsprs
maysay
Marche'
tiphani
mojitochica
AfrikanLatina
dajewel
Lynnieluve
16 posters

Go down

I didn't know it cost that much!!!!! Empty I didn't know it cost that much!!!!!

Post by Lynnieluve 16th November 2009, 12:34 am

OK, so I am a DIY-er. I usually watch a few youtube videos, then I practice until I get it. Well a fellow natural friend of mine is hair challenged. 99% of the time, she is wearing a pick out fro with a headband (that's all she knows how to do). She decided she wanted something different so she went to the salon and got comb/finger coils. I didnt think to ask her how much she paid but another natural asked her and I was like [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] !!!!! YOU PAID HOW MUCH?!?!!! Her hair is about 2-3 inches long and the lady charged her $50!

I had no idea that getting natural hair done professionally cost more than relaxed hair (When I was relaxed, I only paid $25 for a wash and set and $45 for a relaxer). You are probably saying, what bubble have you been living in? LOL! Well here in MS, it is hard to find natural hairstylist (another reason I am a DIY-er). It is usually someone that knows how to style natural hair but does not know how to care for natural hair.

So my question is, have I been living in a bubble? If you have had your natural hair styled professionally, how much did you pay and what style did you get?

Last edited by Lynnieluve on 16th November 2009, 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct spelling of a word)
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

I didn't know it cost that much!!!!! Empty Re: I didn't know it cost that much!!!!!

Post by dajewel 16th November 2009, 12:37 am

i have had two strand twist rod set done once a month, and i paid $50. now, i can do my own two strand twists and, thanks to mmoultry, am really leaning to do my own two strand twist rod set.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

I didn't know it cost that much!!!!! Empty Re: I didn't know it cost that much!!!!!

Post by AfrikanLatina 16th November 2009, 12:40 am

When I did the BC back in February I spent $100 for a wash & condition, cut, and comb coils. The comb coils were what made it so much. They were $65 but its the only natural hair salon I could find here and I wanted someone who had experience with natural hair. Needless to say I haven't gone back.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 16th November 2009, 12:41 am

I guess my biggest issue with my friend's hair was it didnt really look professional. I could have done it for her and I think it would have looked better. LOL!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by mojitochica 16th November 2009, 12:46 am

Stylists charge so much because natural hair is "difficult" [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mojitochica
mojitochica

http://whatsnew.fotki.com/mojitochica/

Back to top Go down

Post by tiphani 16th November 2009, 12:49 am

I got my hair cut, washed, conditioned, and twist-out and it didn't look as good as if I would have done it myself. And the damage....$200 bucks!! Never again. I could have given that money to this site and felt better about it than giving it to the stylist.
tiphani
tiphani

Back to top Go down

Post by Marche' 16th November 2009, 9:23 pm

Hey LynnieLuve! What part of MS are you from? In response to your question, I'm a DIY-er too, but I do get my hair pofessionally trimmed and flat ironed once a year. A couple of times, I went to local black salons and those were disasters. That was during my transition phase about 3 years ago and stylists had started charging by length so it was 50.00. The other times, I let black stylists at Walmart do it because it's quick, convenient and I dont have to make an appointment. I haven't gotten a flat iron this year yet, but last year it cost me 60.00 and my hair was already washed, conditioned and blow dried. During my most recent visit to Wal-Mart, which was in September, I got a trim. The stylist was also natural and she was able to cut my hair wet. That was only about 16.00 including a tip, but my hair was not styled. I remember those 45.00 days too, but they are long gone.
Marche'
Marche'

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 17th November 2009, 12:58 am

Hey Marche'!!! I am in Jackson. I've only been natural 3 months so I haven't had a trim yet but I am definitely dreading it.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by maysay 17th November 2009, 1:39 am

I haven't actually gotten my hair done at a salon for a few years but I was with my sister this weekend while she was getting her hair pressed. One of the hair dressers let me know she did natural styles and she charges 75$ for two strand twists. 75$!!! I was like ummm I'll stick with my wonky parts and random sized twists I can do myself for free.

maysay

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 17th November 2009, 10:50 am

Maysay, I'm with you! I will continue to do my own hair.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by TruBeautyPrsprs 18th November 2009, 1:15 am

Natural hair salons do charge too much to style or cut natural hair. That is why I am making a visit to my brothers barber shop really soon for my trim. There is a guy in there who is a charm with womens hair and its only 10 bucks!! Dont sleep on the barber shops ladies!

TruBeautyPrsprs

Back to top Go down

Post by tlewis 18th November 2009, 4:48 pm

I took my daughter (5 years old) to a natural salon for her graduation from pre-school hair style as my husband wanted to treat her to something special. They did a wonderful job and she did enjoy the experience....however...it cost $85 bucks ($20 for an inital consultation-before they would even set an appointment, and $55 for wash and two-strand twist plus tip). Did I also mention that I do the two-strand twist EVERY WEEK at home and ya'll know it doesn't cost $ to do it! I'm not knocking their hustle, but there is too much information out there for us now to even entertain paying for something we can do ourselves!

tlewis

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 18th November 2009, 5:04 pm

I'm all for supporting our sistas and brothas that do natural hair but if I can do it myself I will. When I decide to loc my hair I think I will initially go to a salon but keep up maintenance myself.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 20th November 2009, 8:46 am

yall scaring me wit these prices! esp since i dnt have the patience to do my own hair.
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by labon10 20th November 2009, 10:16 am

You have to develop patience or pay $$$. I pick days when I know we are home, like Sunday afternoons and Tuesday nights. So while I'm watching tv or playing Wii with the kids, I have my plastic bag on my head. We take breaks for me to rinse.

labon10

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 20th November 2009, 11:42 am

About a year ago I had my hair professional styled and the price was way more than I thought it should have been.
$70 for a twist out
$90 for a flexirod set

Both times I hated it and when I replicated those styles myself it looked 10 times better.

The flexirod set made me cry. The rods were extremely tight and then the dryer being pressed down on my head made it worse. I will NEVER go back.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cherece 20th November 2009, 4:14 pm

There is a natural hair salon near me that I went to to do my BC and being the PJ that I am, I also let her talk me into buying some miss jessie's baby butter cream (that I had never used before) and some natural shampoo, conditioner and scalp oil from her. By the time I was done, it was about $160!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I was so far into my BC and PJ euphoria, it didn't hit me how much I spent until my SO asked me about it a few days later.

cherece

Back to top Go down

Post by PanaR3dd 7th December 2009, 11:09 am

i have always done my own hair and others but 5months after my big chop i went and got comb coils because i saw them in a hair magazine..thought they were cute and didnt know how to do them..my hair looked nothing like the coils i saw..i paid $55 for them and was pissed..i knew nothing about youtube then but thank the lord i do now..but sad to say i still havent mastered comb coils on my own head lol...
PanaR3dd
PanaR3dd

Back to top Go down

Post by wisdom goddess 7th December 2009, 1:19 pm

I went to a natural hair salon, in the name of pampering myself. Well she colored my hair and did a combo cornrow and two strand twists to the tune of $130!! I was warned about the cost, but I was so into my getting my hair done by a professional I must have been stuck on stupid. My hair was cute, but I ended up retwisting my hair a week later as they were unraveling! I think she did a good job, but I would not pay that much again. When i was locked I would go to my loctician maybe once every two months, and it cost me $65. She was extremely gentle and used wonderful products and oils. My locks were gorgeous! But I also loved her policy of doing only one head at a time and she was pretty fast too. A good experience and she taught me lock maintenance as a normal part of the process so my hair looked good all of the time. I really appreciated my experience with her. But this other experience was just ok.
My current press and curl cost me $40 and it was quick and very well done. My hair is so silky and the ends are well preserved. My hubby thought I had gotten a perm!
I guess you have to shop around a lot to get the right combo of $ savings and quality hair care.
wisdom goddess
wisdom goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by missmoni4x4 7th December 2009, 5:22 pm

I went to a "natural" salon to get my BC b/c I felt embarrased having it done at a barbershop w/ men staring in my face. And I thought they would probably do a great styling & conditioning. I had about 2-3 inches new growth.

Was told $30 for deep condition & cut. They used terrible products that stripped my hair, put menthol on my scalp after I said I was allergic to it, then used regular conditioner for deep conditioning.

Then the stylist put finger coils in my hair after I didn't ask for it. (And kindly let me know that it would've cost me $80!!! (globs of gel & 2 hrs under a HOT dryer!) When I washed it out, my hair looked like I had stuck my finger in a socket! I couldn't get it to curl, so I put a hat on & went to a barber & paid $15 bucks to chop off ALL my 5 months of transitioning! (but he got me right!)

I got straw rods on shoulder length hair for $25-$30 at my mom's regular salon...those prices make no sense.
missmoni4x4
missmoni4x4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down