CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much should it cost...

+3
LadyMika
ElleX
bklynmama1
7 posters

Go down

How much should it cost... Empty How much should it cost...

Post by bklynmama1 28th June 2010, 11:37 pm

I'm in NYC and want to know a ballpark price on two strand twists on my own hair (2-3 inches depending on the section). I can't do it myself because I can't do the back (and it feels like my arms are going to fall right off of my body)! One place charges $75 and the other $95. Those are both salons but I'm wondering if the african braiding places will be cheaper? Anyone know? Also, what is the trick to doing the back yourself? I don't know how you ladies are doing your own hair!
bklynmama1
bklynmama1

Back to top Go down

How much should it cost... Empty Re: How much should it cost...

Post by ElleX 29th June 2010, 12:06 am

Wow - $75 to $95 to do two strand twist??!! I am in the wrong line of work.

I have never paid for two strand twists..I do my own. I don't care how the back looks because I don't usually keep them in after drying. When I do leave the twists in, I normally style where the front twists cover the parts in the back.
ElleX
ElleX

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 29th June 2010, 12:20 am

I'd give it a guess at around $100. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] But every shop is different; if you're going to be in Downtown Brooklyn at all, there's quite a few in that area. There's also a lot of braiding shops in Harlem around 125th street. Just make sure YOU LET THEM KNOW NOT TO BRAID YOUR HAIR TOO TIGHT, because they WILL if you don't.

As for braiding the back myself, I pretty much attach the yarn (since I don't use human or synthetic hair) the same way I would the rest of my hair, and then pull GENTLY. If it slides at all, it's too loose. If it doesn't then I'm good. I also pinch between the start of the braid and my scalp. If there's too much room (as in, I can fit both tips of my first finger and thumb), I'll start the whole braid over. If there isn't, I'll keep going. ...I hope all that made sense. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Morshaye 29th June 2010, 1:22 pm

If you are not getting extentions put in, then that is way too much money. Don't give up on doing it yourself. That's one of the glories of having natural hair; that we don't have to sit in a salon all the time. The more you do it the better you will get at it. Good luck. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Morshaye
Morshaye

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 29th June 2010, 1:52 pm

The best teacher for learning how to style your hair for FREE is Youtube! Two strand twisting is easy, but it takes practice and patience. That's how I learned and I haven't stepped foot in a salon in over a year.

That's TOO expensive for such an easy style.
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by Lanabell1219 29th June 2010, 2:41 pm

i go to school in atlanta and i have found shops there willing to do them for $60. i've gotten good at doing my own (the trick to doing the back for me has been looking at the back of my head with a mirror. i don't like crooked parts), but if i were going to pay for the service i definitely wouldn't pay more than that. i suggest you continue to practice. it will probably become easier as your hair grows as well.
Lanabell1219
Lanabell1219

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyPrecious 29th June 2010, 4:33 pm

How about having a relative or friend take care of the back for you after you've done the front maybe. Or find a young girl or an old school mother/grandmother around the way??
NaturallyPrecious
NaturallyPrecious

Back to top Go down

Post by bklynmama1 29th June 2010, 6:31 pm

I called an African braiding place nearby and they charge $40, which is fine with me because they'll do it a lot faster!! I also found a friend of my babysitter that will come to my house and do if for about the same amount of money. I don't know about other mamas, but I'm finding it very hard to start a task like doing my hair after working all day, then tending to my toddler. Once she's in the bed, I just want to stare at a wall! At least I'll be able to read a book while this woman does my twists in the comfort of my home. But i'll definitely keep practicing and try out the mirror trick too.
bklynmama1
bklynmama1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down